Tips for offensives

Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog is the first new release (not a re-make of a previous games) in years in the critically acclaimed Close Combat series. It details the desperate German counter-attack at Mortain, the last chance of the Wehrmacht to stave off defeat in Normandy. Can you match the tenacity of the American defenders of Hill 314? Or can you succeed where the Panzers failed, driving through to the sea and changing history? Improved 32-bit graphics and the ability to control more squads than ever bring the Close Combat engine to a new level.
Beag

Tips for offensives

Post by Beag »

Well I had the courage of buying the game since it´s been ages since I´ve played CC, and the maps are pretty [:)]

Through defense is obviously easy both for AI and player, I´m having lots of trouble on the attack. Specially as germans the assimetry and scarcity of troops is nasty! If any veterans could give me an input:

1- When to sneak and when to move fast?
2- How often to use smoke?
3- How and where to use supression? I mean, before I already know there is an enemy since they chewed my FRITZ?
4- And above all - how to attack an armored battlegroup without tanks? I mean, using assault guns like StuG and panzershrecks? PS have great attacking power, no doubt, but reaching the bastards has been... frustrating lol
5- Finally, do you agressively take road exits and move your BGs to try to cut off BGs from supplies?
Sapa

RE: Tips for offensives

Post by Sapa »

1.To have a at least 1 opportunity to maybe get the vehicles move the way you wants (sneak)
2.There is smoke all the time(fog)
3.No use..dug in and wait for the timer to run out
4.Same as no 3
5.Yes
Southernland

Post by Southernland »

for attacking armoured BGs I use AT guns in ambush with narrow LOS where (hopefully) the enemy will be forced to expose a flank shot and scouts to exploit terrain for forward deployments the next turn (assuming you're playing a GC)  Also if I see what's happening on the strat I try to give my infantry unit off board support, artillry, mortars and airstrikes
¡¡ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq oʇ ƃuıoƃ ɯɐ ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
xe5

Post by xe5 »

1. Sneak in decent cover when the enemy is 150+ m. away orin bldgd at close range. Move fast when youre fairly certain youre team isnt in enemy LOS or is but at long distance.

2. As often as necessary. Enemy fire thru smoke is treated as area fire rather than targeted fire.

3. Use suppression on enemy locations you intend to close assault or to minimize enemy fire so you can manuever other teams short distances in that enemy's LOS.

4. Kill the enemy infantry support. Vehicles w/o infantry dont spot very well. Position AT equipped teams in 2 level bldgs neaar VLs and let the enemy armor come to you, stripping off his inf support as he does.

5. Yes. Keep in mind that infantry BGs can still move when out of supply. Armor BGs out of supply will have most of their vehicles immobilized due to lack of fuel. A gamey trick is to move and stack same size infantry and armor BGs on the same map. Keep the armor in the front line and inf in reserve. If cut off from supply, only the frontline BG is affected. Then put the inf BG in the front line and merge both BGs. The resulting merged BG will have full supply.
Reboot

Post by Reboot »

ORIGINAL: xe5
5. Yes. Keep in mind that infantry BGs can still move when out of supply. Armor BGs out of supply will have most of their vehicles immobilized due to lack of fuel. A gamey trick is to move and stack same size infantry and armor BGs on the same map. Keep the armor in the front line and inf in reserve. If cut off from supply, only the frontline BG is affected. Then put the inf BG in the front line and merge both BGs. The resulting merged BG will have full supply.

smart wargaming!
CCNUT
Tejszd

Post by Tejszd »

Sounds more like an exploit that should be closed....[:-]

Return to “Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog”