Matrix Games Forums

Come and see us during the Spieltagen in Essen!New Screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTYCommand: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTY is now available!Frontline : The Longest Day Announced and in Beta!Command gets Wargame of the Year EditionDeal of the Week: Pandora SeriesPandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another updateHell is Approaching
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Mines - are your own fields "safe"?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Mines - are your own fields "safe"? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Mines - are your own fields "safe"? - 12/19/2002 2:50:53 PM   
Owl

The manual says that you hardly ever will have your own ships hit your mines but being new to the game I would like to know HOW hardly ever is hardly ever? If I mine the #*#@ out of the Lunga area for example, can I safely send my own ships in there?

Offensive mines - As the Japanese, is it worth while to drop mines in the shallows off Nomea or the Australian ports?

(.) (.)

...V...
Post #: 1
Re: Mines - are your own fields "safe"? - 12/19/2002 8:20:57 PM   
LargeSlowTarget

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Owl
[B]Offensive mines - As the Japanese, is it worth while to drop mines in the shallows off Nomea or the Australian ports? [/B][/QUOTE]

IMO it is not. So far I had no success worth mentioning in mine warfare off Noumea and Australia, neither against the AI nor against a human opponent. Scores of sub minelaying missions resulted in 2 AP/AK damaged. Allied DMS/MSW discovered and swept most minefields before they could do any harm.
You can't use MLs close to enemy airbases, subs can carry only a few mines and allied MSW capacity is quite high. Furthermore, there are few shallow water hexes outside the port hexes (at least off Australia). So if the opponent does not blunder, s/he should be able to keep enough MSW vessel at all important ports. The AI is also quite good in this regard.
What you can try is to mine a port and have another sub on patrol at the same hex - maybe you can sink the MSW. But it is risky, I have lost 2 I-boats in shallow waters to Allied ASW but didn't sink a single MSW. Just bad luck, I hope. Hunting MSWs may also be considered gamey, once you have sunk them all you can mine the #*#@ out of your opponent, and since he cannot ask for aditional MSW ships being sent from Pearl...

LST

Carpe Cerevisiam

WitP AAR "Six Years of War"

(in reply to Owl)
Post #: 2
- 12/20/2002 12:41:46 AM   
Hoplosternum

I made the mistake of 'defensively' mining the shallows around Rabual as the IJN in a PBEM on the first turn of the game. In less than a month my ships have struck at least four mines and despite furious mine clearing on my part they are still there. I think my own mines have so far done more damage than my opponent!

Having said that if you have a base in the hex the mines are meant to be good against invasions and I have never struck a mine I have laid in a hex with one of my bases.

As for offensive mining I have certainly used this but am unsure how useful it is. I would certainly be cautious about mining bases you are intending to assault.

(in reply to Owl)
Post #: 3
Hoplosternum - 12/20/2002 2:49:16 AM   
Mogami

Hi, But mining both hexes into Rabaul has kept my subs away.
I have watched your ships hit those mines and suffered along with you. :eek: Don't worry when the time comes you will see plenty of Allied inflicted damage.

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to Owl)
Post #: 4
- 12/20/2002 7:01:05 AM   
Califvol

I have gotten excellent results with mines at both Allied staging ports. Mind you I put every IJN sub into a giant mine placing wolfpack.

Mines, mines, mines
The musical fruit
The more you mine
The more the Allies poop

:D

(in reply to Owl)
Post #: 5
- 12/20/2002 4:25:04 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

I wrote small Mine rules document in thread "Understanding of UV "Mine rules":

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29949

Mike Wood (UV lead programmer) said that what I summarized is accurate.

So... take a look... perhaps it can help you a bit...

Leo "Apollo11"

(in reply to Owl)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Mines - are your own fields "safe"? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI