Kriegsmarine

The development team behind the award-winning games Decisive Campaigns: From Warsaw To Paris and Advanced Tactics is back with a new and improved game engine that focuses on the decisive year and theater of World War II! Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue simulates the German drive to Stalingrad and into the Caucasus of the summer of 1942, as well as its May preludes (2nd Kharkov offensive, Operation Trappenjagd) and also the Soviet winter counter-offensive (Operation Uranus) that ended with the encirclement of 6th Army in Stalingrad and the destruction of the axis minor armies. With many improvements including the PBEM++ system, this is a release to watch for wargamers!

Moderator: Vic

BossGnome

Kriegsmarine

Post by BossGnome »

Has anybody ever tried asking for reinforcements from them? What did you get? Was it worth it? Could you put it to any use? Please share!
"Hard pressed on my right; my left is in retreat. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking."
-Gen. Joffre, before the battle of the Marne
LiquidSky

RE: Kriegsmarine

Post by LiquidSky »

The problem with the axis navy is it is seriously outclassed by the Russians. They will hunt down and destroy anything that floats. And if you use your airforce to sink it, you will find the AA to be fairly brutal.

The navy is a sideshow. You should waste no resources on it. You should not bomb the Russian navy, nor bring in replacements for the Axis boats. If you hide it for later use, it will be sunk when you reveal it. Don't let yourself get distracted by the navy. Infantry is going to be what decides how long you can fight the Russians in the winter.
“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great
The Red Baron

Post by The Red Baron »

I'm not sure about the Axis side, but the Soviet side neither receives naval reinforcements nor naval replacements (not that you need them anyway); and, you cannot request either through the card system. As the Soviets you might lose a few naval vessels, but if you concentrate your forces, you can easily overwhelm and crush the Axis navy.
James Ward

Post by James Ward »

ORIGINAL: LiquidSky

The problem with the axis navy is it is seriously outclassed by the Russians. They will hunt down and destroy anything that floats. And if you use your airforce to sink it, you will find the AA to be fairly brutal.

The navy is a sideshow. You should waste no resources on it. You should not bomb the Russian navy, nor bring in replacements for the Axis boats. If you hide it for later use, it will be sunk when you reveal it. Don't let yourself get distracted by the navy. Infantry is going to be what decides how long you can fight the Russians in the winter.

The best use of the Axis Navy is to sortie out and make the Russian chase you. The ships use a lot of supply. Just don't get caught [:)]
wallas

Post by wallas »

I played the card in a test game, and got 2 torpedo boats with a 10 strength factors
SapperAstro_MatrixForum

Post by SapperAstro_MatrixForum »

ORIGINAL: James Ward

ORIGINAL: LiquidSky

The best use of the Axis Navy is to sortie out and make the Russian chase you. The ships use a lot of supply. Just don't get caught [:)]

I am imagining this scene with Benny Hill music playing...
Vic

Post by Vic »

One of the things I chose not to model was the timidity of the Soviet naval command. In reality (according to my research) most of the Soviet fleet just stayed inside their harbours during Case Blue. I guess some initial bad encounters with the Luftwaffe made the Soviet red fleet timid. I think there must have been an implicit threat from Stalin that he would not tolerate any big losses in naval power. However this is partially speculation on my side. All in all, also with some gameplay considerations, I decided to let the player have full freedom over his fleets.
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue”