Anti-Tank direct fire

Combat Command is Boku Strategy Games World War II operational game. strategy games played warfare on a hex playing field with turn-based game play utilizing company-sized units. Game design aspects include turn phases, combat resolution, unit design, scenarios and artificial intelligence.

Moderator: Obsolete

genehaynes

Anti-Tank direct fire

Post by genehaynes »

Need some help understanding the logic behind Anti Tank direct fire.

For example, in the tutorial the allies have a sherman tank company (3 hits/steps) with a AT value of 10. The Germans get a Tiger tank unit (2 hits / steps) with an AT value of 20. The armor value for both units is 100.

Using the formula: At strength / Hits x Quality x Disruption (Using 0 disruption), when firing at the Tiger we get an AT value of 20 ( 10 / 3 x 6 x 1 = 20). So, using the "to hit" table (range 1) I get a "to hit" value of 82. So far so good, if my d100 roll is < 82 I'll get a hit on the German Tiger unit. But, with an AT value of 20 it's impossible to do any damage to the Tiger because adding a D50 die roll will never result in a value greater than the Tiger's Armor rating of 100. So a company of 76mm Shermans cannot do any damage to the Tigers?? (i.e. No chance of disruption or a kill).

Now when the Tigers attack the Shermans we use the formula: 20 (Tigers AT value) / 2 hits x 8 (Quality) x 1 (No disruption) to get an AT value of 80. Adding a d50 die roll to the AT value of 80 gives the Tigers a good chance of damaging the Shermans.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I question the Tigers being impervious to direct fire of the Shermans. I tested this several times (playing both sides in the turtorial) and never damaged the Tigers.

Any comments would be appreciated.
Fred98

RE: Anti-Tank direct fire

Post by Fred98 »

ORIGINAL: genehaynes

Maybe I'm missing something, but I question the Tigers being impervious to direct fire of the Shermans.

This is just a tutorial to teach the game mechanics.

I can guess that who ever developed the tutorial intended it to work this way.

genehaynes

RE: Anti-Tank direct fire

Post by genehaynes »

Thanks again Joe,

I think you're right. I started playing some "non-turtorial" scenarios and the armor values were around 24 - 25.

Return to “Combat Command Series”