Matrix Games Forums

The Matrix Holiday sales are starting today! Warhammer - Weapons of WarFlashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm gets huge update and a Steam release!Battle Academy 2 opens up a new front!Flashpoint Campaigns Featured on weekly Streaming SessionFrontline: The Longest Day - New Screenshots!Deal of the Week: Hannibal Rome and CarthageFlashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm gets Players Edition!To End All Wars gets its first major patch! Hell is now available!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Trouble with Squad designations

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Trouble with Squad designations Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Trouble with Squad designations - 12/1/2012 3:02:44 PM   
Zigurat666

I,m having trouble figuring out the squad designations as follows...

I know "VRF" is a replentishment squad (of fighters)
but what are
VO
VMF
VMO?
Can these fight off of CVE's? Is there a list somewhere that describes all the variations of squadrons available?
Post #: 1
RE: Trouble with Squad designations - 12/1/2012 3:10:24 PM   
Dan Nichols

VO = Observation( recon )
VMF = Marine Fighter
VMO = Marine Observation( recon )

If the aircraft is listed as CV capable, then the air unit can fly from a CV/CVL/CVE.

< Message edited by Dan Nichols -- 12/1/2012 3:11:32 PM >

(in reply to Zigurat666)
Post #: 2
RE: Trouble with Squad designations - 12/1/2012 3:19:02 PM   
Zigurat666

Thanks,I was looking more for a clarification as to what squads would actually fly combat missions from a CV/CVE? For example if you had a CV equipped with all "R" squads and assigned a combat mission like naval attack for example,they would not fly durng the turn,correct?

(in reply to Dan Nichols)
Post #: 3
RE: Trouble with Squad designations - 12/1/2012 3:33:24 PM   
Cannonfodder

As long as its an aircombat TF they would fly.

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor

(in reply to Zigurat666)
Post #: 4
RE: Trouble with Squad designations - 12/1/2012 3:41:37 PM   
Zigurat666

Then why do not many allied players use the ton of CVE's they get as Aircombat TF's...just curious

(in reply to Cannonfodder)
Post #: 5
RE: Trouble with Squad designations - 12/1/2012 3:47:51 PM   
msieving1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zigurat666

Then why do not many allied players use the ton of CVE's they get as Aircombat TF's...just curious

The joke was that CVE stood for Combustible Vulnerable Expendable. CVEs are slow, fragile, and have small airgroups. If you're desperate, you can use them in combat, but losses will be high if they face significant opposition. Still, I think most people will use them in combat TFs to provide support to invasion forces.

(in reply to Zigurat666)
Post #: 6
RE: Trouble with Squad designations - 12/1/2012 4:12:04 PM   
Zigurat666

While I agree that they are quite fragile,to me it would be worth it if a big group of them could sink or severely damage 1-2 of the KB. Jap CV's are in much shorter supply so I think that would have an effect...

(in reply to msieving1)
Post #: 7
RE: Trouble with Squad designations - 12/1/2012 4:24:58 PM   
jmalter

in USN & USMC useage the 'V' indicates 'heavier-than-air', as opposed to 'Z' (lighter-than-air).

some USN CVEs arrive loaded w/ 2 VRF sqns, they can't fly combat missions because there are far too many aircraft on the CVEs. if one of the VRF sqns is unloaded to an airbase, the remaining sqn can fly combat just like any other carrier-capable sqn.

when these CVEs are placed in a Replenishment TF, nearby carrier sqns can receive replacement aircraft from them at a maximum distance of about 6 hexes, even if the CVE is overloaded.

(in reply to msieving1)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Trouble with Squad designations Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI