Matrix Games Forums

Happy Easter!Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets UpdatedBattle Academy Mega Pack is now availableClose Combat: Gateway to Caen Teaser Trailer
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Bombur mod 2

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> RE: Bombur mod 2 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Bombur mod 2 - 1/11/2013 1:08:45 AM   
Bombur

Not sure, it seems the AI has troubles on how to use the new units. I think this mod is much better against human players.

(in reply to Jafele)
Post #: 61
RE: Bombur mod 2 - 1/11/2013 2:18:02 AM   
Twotribes

The ai uses algorithms to determine what to buy. It has to do with power and cost. when you make 6 infantry types he probably doesn't understand the concept and buys the one it thinks is the best for the price. Add in that your research is not linear with regards to types of units and the AI does not grasp the need for upgrades possibly due to how it functions.

In normal ATG there are 3 types of Infantry, Rifle SMG and paratroops. The AI does not use paras. And it seems to understand via set commands on its operation that it buys mostly rifle with some SMG. You have Light, regular and heavy Rifles and the same with SMG. Unless you rewrite the AI protocols it is going to pick one SMG and one rifle to build. It also builds paras so they must meet the criteria already established. Same with multiply types of armored cars. Or tanks. Or ships. The AI does not think, it follows the set commands it is given, build x percent of this based on this.

(in reply to Bombur)
Post #: 62
RE: Bombur mod 2 - 1/11/2013 10:35:29 PM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bombur

Not sure, it seems the AI has troubles on how to use the new units. I think this mod is much better against human players.

I get a rather strange enjoyment out of watching the AI stumble around in the research tree and unit builds. It's always sort of interesting to see what it does.

"Games lubricate the body and the mind" Ben Franklin.

(in reply to Bombur)
Post #: 63
RE: Bombur mod 2 - 1/11/2013 10:36:54 PM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

The ai uses algorithms to determine what to buy. It has to do with power and cost. when you make 6 infantry types he probably doesn't understand the concept and buys the one it thinks is the best for the price. Add in that your research is not linear with regards to types of units and the AI does not grasp the need for upgrades possibly due to how it functions.

In normal ATG there are 3 types of Infantry, Rifle SMG and paratroops. The AI does not use paras. And it seems to understand via set commands on its operation that it buys mostly rifle with some SMG. You have Light, regular and heavy Rifles and the same with SMG. Unless you rewrite the AI protocols it is going to pick one SMG and one rifle to build. It also builds paras so they must meet the criteria already established. Same with multiply types of armored cars. Or tanks. Or ships. The AI does not think, it follows the set commands it is given, build x percent of this based on this.

I don't think Vic has been very open about the workings of the AI, he's set out some parameters which we're supposed to use, but honestly it doesn't really seem to be the right stuff to get the AI to change it's behavior.

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 64
RE: Bombur mod 2 - 1/11/2013 10:57:17 PM   
Bombur

Any ideas on how to improve the AI towards a more rational management of units?

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 65
RE: Bombur mod 2 - 1/12/2013 11:17:06 AM   
Jafele

I´m very sure Vic would love to improve the AI but...it is obvious that the dated publisher model for producing games will hardly ever see a big effort for the development of powerful AI . First, it's expensive, second very hard to plan and execute because it involves research that's difficult to integrate into road maps, and third it goes contrary to their business model. On the other hand I know a few people who have little to no interest in playing over the net. They see this as an abandonment of many companies to develop really good AI because they can now let players bash each other.

(in reply to Bombur)
Post #: 66
RE: Bombur mod 2 - 2/5/2013 1:24:39 AM   
Bombur

Adding more units. Version 0.20 will be uploaded this weekend

(in reply to Jafele)
Post #: 67
RE: Bombur mod 2 - 2/10/2013 3:00:31 PM   
Bombur

Renamed version to 0.15 and it was uplodaded yesterday. Added quite a few new units.

(in reply to Bombur)
Post #: 68
RE: Bombur mod 2 - 2/16/2013 4:47:47 AM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

Any ideas on how to improve the AI towards a more rational management of units?

I supopse a scripted probability of a free upgrade with time, increaseing in probability as the target era is passed ?

(in reply to Bombur)
Post #: 69
RE: Bombur mod 2 - 2/19/2013 1:43:46 AM   
Bombur

It will be implemented.

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 70
RE: Bombur mod 2 - 4/2/2013 1:07:24 AM   
Bombur

v0.18 uploaded. Already has 334 SFT´s.

(in reply to Bombur)
Post #: 71
RE: Bombur mod 2 - 9/29/2013 2:38:42 PM   
Bombur

Version 0.30 uploaded. It introduced a big change, based on Human vs. Human playtest. Now, year based techs are given automatically to all regimes, according to current year. So, if the scenario is randomized to start in 1935, for instance, all nations will get the units created from 1930 to 1935. Currently, the game engine randomizes it to start from 1928 to 1938. Latter start will be possible in a future version.

(in reply to Bombur)
Post #: 72
RE: Bombur mod 2 - 9/30/2013 7:44:26 PM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

Version 0.30 uploaded. It introduced a big change, based on Human vs. Human playtest. Now, year based techs are given automatically to all regimes, according to current year. So, if the scenario is randomized to start in 1935, for instance, all nations will get the units created from 1930 to 1935. Currently, the game engine randomizes it to start from 1928 to 1938. Latter start will be possible in a future version.

Nice, I'm going to give this a go in the coming days, any advice on setup or gameplay ?

(in reply to Bombur)
Post #: 73
RE: Bombur mod 2 - 10/1/2013 3:06:31 AM   
Bombur

quote:

Nice, I'm going to give this a go in the coming days, any advice on setup or gameplay ?

-Use a map with some water, the naval part of the game is fun. On gameplay it´s more likely you will be able to teach something to me than the opposite.

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 74
RE: Bombur mod 2 - 10/2/2013 2:22:46 AM   
Webizen

While trying latest version I discovered possible bug with 030: see below screenshot. After running blindly into the enemy unit, I restarted the turn and moved more units adjacent to test.

Attachment (1)

Webizen (Matrix)
Tac2i (Slitherine)

(in reply to Bombur)
Post #: 75
RE: Bombur mod 2 - 10/2/2013 3:18:36 PM   
ernieschwitz

I Believe that bombur removed the recon value of Infantry... to better simulate not knowing what happens in war. You should use cavalry to recon and recon planes... or the like...

(in reply to Webizen)
Post #: 76
RE: Bombur mod 2 - 10/2/2013 4:08:35 PM   
Webizen

Hmm, not sure that is good thing. Infantry units always used patrols to have at least some idea that something was in front of them.

Update: I just edited infantry recon values back in. Easy fix.

quote:

ORIGINAL: ernieschwitz

I Believe that bombur removed the recon value of Infantry... to better simulate not knowing what happens in war. You should use cavalry to recon and recon planes... or the like...

< Message edited by Webizen -- 10/3/2013 12:55:51 AM >

Webizen (Matrix)
Tac2i (Slitherine)

(in reply to ernieschwitz)
Post #: 77
RE: Bombur mod 2 - 10/3/2013 7:49:34 PM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Webizen

Hmm, not sure that is good thing. Infantry units always used patrols to have at least some idea that something was in front of them.

Update: I just edited infantry recon values back in. Easy fix.

quote:

ORIGINAL: ernieschwitz

It's a little problematic but the idea is, (I think) to encourage usage of more than just scads infantry. To allow players to branch out into the various sft's that the mod offers.

I suppose it depends on scale but infantry generally don't know more than a few miles what's around them, in close terrain even less.

I think it might be a slightly gamey tactic but you could get a 1 unit infatry sft and send them in, then watch the combat results screen carefully and you will get an idea for what's in the hex.

The big problem is the penatly for a suprise attack is huge and almost as if you just have to throw away units to see what's in there. I think the suprise penalty should be toned down a bit along with the reduction in recon.

(in reply to Webizen)
Post #: 78
RE: Bombur mod 2 - 10/3/2013 8:47:25 PM   
Twotribes

Are there recon infantry? If not how does one make a none mech stack that can see around itself? I mean by 40 Calvary was out except in certain areas.

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 79
RE: Bombur mod 2 - 10/6/2013 2:33:13 AM   
Bombur

No, but I´m considering to add it in the next release.

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 80
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> RE: Bombur mod 2 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI