Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent Page: <<   < prev  36 37 [38] 39 40   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/22/2013 8:59:21 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miller

Dan you are getting too good at this game for your own good.........John will bail either when the KB is killed or by the end of 43, whichever is sooner.

I just put $20 down he wouldn't!

He will bitch and complain sometimes, and he might not see the error of his own choices, but I believe he'll stick through it. Just a hunch.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Miller)
Post #: 1111
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/22/2013 9:02:39 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Not sure I'll send this email.  Not sure the latter two points are worth making since they don't respond to his points, though hey do help illustrate that feelings of "hey, you're abusing the game" are (as always) mutual.

Try:

“You never know what worse luck your bad luck has saved you from.” – Cormac McCarthy, No Country for Old Men

“But, he thought, I keep them with precision. Only I have no luck anymore. But who knows? Maybe today. Every day is a new day. It is better to be lucky. But I would rather be exact. Then when luck comes you are ready.” – Ernest Hemingway, The Old Man and the Sea

“Shallow men believe in luck or in circumstance. Strong men believe in cause and effect.” — Ralph Waldo Emerson

“Luck is not chance-
It’s Toil-
Fortune’s expensive smile
Is earned-”
– Emily Dickinson

“Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.” – Seneca

“In short, they were gambling on their luck, and luck is not to be coerced.” – Albert Camus, The Plague

“You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don’t help.” -– Bill Watterson, Calvin & Hobbes

This stuff is priceless!

Being a teacher I often bristle at statements about the word 'talent,' which is similar. I don't actually believe in that word. There is only hard work, circumstance and the ability to recognize how to take advantage of it.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 1112
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/22/2013 9:07:21 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

I am publicly accepting your bet at my offered 2:1 odds.

Hey, Dan, will you accept $10 for dropping this game?

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1113
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/22/2013 9:31:13 PM   
Crackaces

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

I am publicly accepting your bet at my offered 2:1 odds.

Hey, Dan, will you accept $10 for dropping this game?

Now my friends would consider that "Gamey"

[These are people that have wagered a Vegan $10,000 to eat a hamburger (http://worldpokerfans.blogspot.com/2013/02/some-famous-poker-prop-bets.html) and another bet over 200 people they would last longer in a poker tournament [and was the first one out] (http://www.barge.org/barge_glossary.shtml#quickbets )

Patients and providers of healthcare win with interprofessional practice http://ipep.arizona.edu/blog

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 1114
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/22/2013 9:34:37 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

This stuff is priceless!

Being a teacher I often bristle at statements about the word 'talent,' which is similar. I don't actually believe in that word. There is only hard work, circumstance and the ability to recognize how to take advantage of it.

Girl of the Prairie is a teacher as well. One of her bristle-worthies is "I can't."

When I was a kid, my dad, an ex-CPO, used to say "Can't means won't. Are you refusing to do what I told you to do?" Gulp.

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 3/22/2013 9:36:17 PM >

The Moose

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1115
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/22/2013 10:03:47 PM   
obvert

quote:

quote:

This stuff is priceless!

Girl of the Prairie is a teacher as well. One of her bristle-worthies is "I can't."

When I was a kid, my dad, an ex-CPO, used to say "Can't means won't. Are you refusing to do what I told you to do?" Gulp.

That's a refrain whenever I start teaching a drawing class.

"I can't draw. I've never been able to."

I just ask, "Could you do chemistry before you took the course?"

Post #: 1116
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/22/2013 10:18:17 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

quote:

quote:

This stuff is priceless!

I couldn't do chemistry after I took the class, but I have always been able to draw! (just kidding! at least about the chemistry part. I actually did well in the subject and retain a rudimentary knowledge)

Drawing is a natural talent.

Sure those without the talent can be taught to engage in an appproximation of drawing, but their efforts will never rival those who possess the talent.

btw...I had no idea you taught drawing. My deepest respect. As some one who has the talent (led me into a career in architecture), I cringe at the thought of trying to teach it to some one else.

Hans

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1117
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/22/2013 10:23:38 PM   
JeffK

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crackaces

BTW II) I might propose that John gets crap from a certain audience because he never recognizes the brilliance of the other guys strategy. It is always a die roll, the game, gamey play, but never John .. but if they other guy catches an unluckly break .. its John's most brillant move ever ..

I don't follow...

I havent posted there for a long time

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 1118
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/22/2013 10:30:39 PM   
JeffK

quote:

quote:

This stuff is priceless!

One of my old bosses had a projector overhead he dragged to conferences for 10 years.

Success comes in Cans, not Cannots!

Post #: 1119
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/22/2013 10:42:49 PM   
Panther Bait

Drawing may be to some degree natural talent, but there are also a lot of different way, mediums, etc. to "draw". I can't freehand draw very well at all, but give me the proper materials and I can mechanical draw quite well, even without detailed dimensions.

I equate that to having a fairly good "eye" for perspective and proportion, but not a very good hand to put it on paper. I need the help of rulers, curves, etc.

Mike

Of course, my wife would state (and I would agree) that I do have trouble with color and color matching.

When you shoot at a destroyer and miss, it's like hit'in a wildcat in the ass with a banjo.

Nathan Dogan, USS Gurnard

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 1120
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/22/2013 11:37:24 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

quote:

quote:

quote:

This stuff is priceless!

I couldn't do chemistry after I took the class, but I have always been able to draw! (just kidding! at least about the chemistry part. I actually did well in the subject and retain a rudimentary knowledge)

Drawing is a natural talent.

Sure those without the talent can be taught to engage in an appproximation of drawing, but their efforts will never rival those who possess the talent.

btw...I had no idea you taught drawing. My deepest respect. As some one who has the talent (led me into a career in architecture), I cringe at the thought of trying to teach it to some one else.

When I say drawing doesn't take talent, I don't mean becoming an artist or getting to a professional level. I do firmly believe I can teach anyone to accurately draw what they see in front of them, and even to do it with some feeling and subtlety. It's not that I am a great teacher, I just don't take 'can't' from anyone, and I don't let them think they don't have "talent.' I haven't been proven wrong yet!

After all, we all did draw at one time, when we were kids. Most of us just stopped at some point.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 1121
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/22/2013 11:53:15 PM   
Canoerebel

After considering the wise counsel of the forum, my email to John was much simpler than my original and clunky effort:  "As a fellow player of this complex, massive, fascinating, thrilling, irritating game, I empathize with the need to vent."

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1122
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/23/2013 10:34:42 AM   
pws1225

Nicely said.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1123
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/23/2013 11:04:09 AM   
Encircled

Sums it up perfectly.

When my boss annoys me, I now write him a really, really annoyed e-mail, and then delete it. Its almost as good as sending it!

(in reply to pws1225)
Post #: 1124
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/23/2013 12:38:02 PM   
JeffK

quote:

ORIGINAL: Encircled

Sums it up perfectly.

When my boss annoys me, I now write him a really, really annoyed e-mail, and then delete it. Its almost as good as sending it!

Never type in the address, you might hit the wrong button!

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 1125
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/23/2013 12:46:27 PM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Encircled

Sums it up perfectly.

Never type in the address, you might hit the wrong button!

I learn this lesson about once every year or so. The other one I learn is sarcasm does not travel well in email

The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it’s still on the list.

(in reply to JeffK)
Post #: 1126
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/23/2013 1:42:11 PM   
Canoerebel

Years ago, I did one something with an email that taught me the most frightening, embarrassing, and awful lesson.  I got a terribly snarky email from a man I do business with.  A man who I must defer to, but who is notoriously curmudgeonly and disagreeable.  When I got the email, I forwarded it to my office manager, who is a close friend and important ally.  To privately vent, I included a comment like, "Look what the sad old curmudgeon wrote this time."

Only, I hit "reply" rather than "forward."  I immediately realized what I had done, but there was no way to retrieve it before he got it.

So now I never, ever, ever say something negative in an email.  I save all that for my AAR.  :) 

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 1127
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/23/2013 2:49:47 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Ah, the good old "reply all" button.

Where I come from "old curmudgeon", them there are fightin' words.

Of course, we have to look it up first.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1128
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/23/2013 4:59:28 PM   
gmoney

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

Ah, the good old "reply all" button.

Where I come from "old curmudgeon", them there are fightin' words.

Of course, we have to look it up first.

LOL +1

Great move in the Gilberts, though I wonder if you can replace the 7th marine rgt in a timely fashion when/if your opponent reacts?

As for submarines, I use my subs similar to how you do, spread them out throughout the empire and hope for the best. Even with only 3-4 working torps out of the entire complement that is at least 1-2 ship kills per patrol per sub, which adds up over time. My short ranged Dutch/English/s-boats are used on defensive type patrols, which actually works well since they (with working torps) are in position to at least have a chance against warships, though the slow speeds of these boats makes them somewhat less likely to intercept.

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 1129
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/23/2013 5:14:54 PM   
Crackaces

quote:

Even with only 3-4 working torps out of the entire complement that is at least 1-2 ship kills per patrol per sub

That might be slightly optimistic ... A torp before the 1944 upgrades is P(.20) .. this would be nice if every torp found its mark. But some miss .. some more than others .. So if only 25% miss that is P(.20) * P(.75) or about a 15% chance ..A Shark class has 10 torps . so maybe 1-2 might find its mark. That aligns with your thoughts, but then again, there is a Grisby die roll for damage .. with many ships limping to port ... I find on average 1 torp per 10 launched to find its mark and do damage .. much fewer than that do I actually see/hear a ship sink.

I can say that I had a really good lucky streak in a game and the USN sank 10 ships from Dec 7th to Dec 10th .. then my luck ran dry and the cenrtal limit therom took over ..

Patients and providers of healthcare win with interprofessional practice http://ipep.arizona.edu/blog

(in reply to gmoney)
Post #: 1130
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/23/2013 11:16:38 PM   
JeffK

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Years ago, I did one something with an email that taught me the most frightening, embarrassing, and awful lesson.  I got a terribly snarky email from a man I do business with.  A man who I must defer to, but who is notoriously curmudgeonly and disagreeable.  When I got the email, I forwarded it to my office manager, who is a close friend and important ally.  To privately vent, I included a comment like, "Look what the sad old curmudgeon wrote this time."

Only, I hit "reply" rather than "forward."  I immediately realized what I had done, but there was no way to retrieve it before he got it.

So now I never, ever, ever say something negative in an email.  I save all that for my AAR.  :) 

I find that young people (under 40 years of age) brought up in the computer age find it very hard to write their emails in a clear and pleasant manner. To older people(over 50) these come across as rude/ill tempered. I was taught how to write a good/positive letter whereas it is no longer a skill taught in the schools and discouraged by the social medias.

RE Drawing:
For some reason I went to a Technical (Trades) School.
We had Building Drawing and Technical Drawing.
Building Drawing was a breeze, I won the school award but Tech Drawing was a struggle and I scraped through.
In Building Drawing I could see the stumps, frames etc of the House/Building but in Tech Drag couldnt get into my mind the oddly shaped and hollowed lumps of metal we were to draw.

Total Imagination Failure.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1131
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/23/2013 11:17:02 PM   
gmoney

Shark class SS has 18 torps total in 41, not sure when the XT torps are added. That means it will hit 2.7 times with a 15% success rate. A fleet class submarine (Salmon and later) carry at least 26 torps (I think, may be more) which means per patrol you can expect 3.9 successful attacks. Combined with deck gun fire, it is very possible to sink 1-2 ships per patrol per fleet boat, as long as you concentrate on enemy supply/merchant convoys and use aggressive commanders.

Now personally I'd rather damage 3-4 enemy ships putting them in the yard, rather than sink 1-2. This of course applies only to merchant shipping, I would always prefer to sink warships outright.

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 1132
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/23/2013 11:54:02 PM   
Crackaces

quote:

ORIGINAL: gmoney

Shark class SS has 18 torps total in 41, not sure when the XT torps are added. That means it will hit 2.7 times with a 15% success rate. A fleet class submarine (Salmon and later) carry at least 26 torps (I think, may be more) which means per patrol you can expect 3.9 successful attacks. Combined with deck gun fire, it is very possible to sink 1-2 ships per patrol per fleet boat, as long as you concentrate on enemy supply/merchant convoys and use aggressive commanders.

Now personally I'd rather damage 3-4 enemy ships putting them in the yard, rather than sink 1-2. This of course applies only to merchant shipping, I would always prefer to sink warships outright.

I must be missing something. In the Ammo for the torps I count 10 in the () and beside it? 3 (3) and 1 (1) XT .... Where are all the other torps?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to gmoney)
Post #: 1133
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/24/2013 1:46:51 AM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crackaces

quote:

ORIGINAL: gmoney

I must be missing something. In the Ammo for the torps I count 10 in the () and beside it? 3 (3) and 1 (1) XT .... Where are all the other torps?

That is the ammo per weapon. Notice that each of those lines has "x2" weapons.

Intel Monkey: https://sites.google.com/site/staffmonkeys/

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 1134
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/24/2013 12:27:36 PM   
Canoerebel

6/5/42

CenPac:  The KB only moves a few hexes east of Tarawa and flies but one sortie, mortally damaging an xAK at Tarawa.  Just a few more hexes and the rearguard of my fleeing ships would have been in range.  John is being unusually conservative, which means he doesn't know the whereabouts of the American carriers.  Nearly all of the highly valued Allied ships should be safe now.

What Next?  John is on the horns of a dilimma.  He can't ignore the Gilberts, because the Allies can make good use of them.  But if he undertakes to neutralize or recapture them it will take him many weeks and a full commitment.  I think that's what he'll do.  I'll monitor and try to get in supply, but I won't overdo it.  But I will try to take advantage of the resulting lulls elsewhere. 

SoPac:  Two IJN BBs bombard Luganville.  I have some scattered merchant ships making the run to this isolated little fortress.

Australia:  The empty amphibious ships are about three days out of Esperance, where they'll load.  The journey to Exmouth will be roundabout, so D-Day is probably two weeks off.

Ramree Island:  Only one small sortie flow - this one out of Rangoon - with no effect.  Tomorrow is key because a big reinforcement convoy carrying engineers and a UK brigade goes in.  This will be protected by two cruiser combat TFs.  The carriers will move a hex closer to provide a measure of protection - I think John's patrols caught a whiff of one of the four CV TFs.  I'm surprised John didn't load up Rangoon with strike aircraft today, but I assume he'll do so for tomorrow. So a bit of pucker time for the Allies.

China:  The Chinese continue to move in good order towards fleshing out the new MLR.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1135
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/24/2013 2:05:35 PM   
Encircled

Weird

If he got a flash of your carriers around Ramree, then you would think that he'd pile into the Gilberts with the KB.

To get your troops dumped off that quick, it is a fairly safe bet that you had to use some decent ships, so it would be worth trying to catch some of them.

Looks like you thrown him a bit, which is good!

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1136
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/24/2013 2:52:24 PM   
JocMeister

I would say its a very successful operation. Trying to boot you out will certainly mean you wont see another big push somewhere of importance! It will take a long while to get troops into position. Wait for prep, recapture the Gilberts and then haul them out again.

Well done!

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1137
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/24/2013 4:12:09 PM   
paullus99

His inaction in Burma is very interesting - I don't think he realized just how powerful the allies can get in this theater, as you get substantial reinforcements over the next few months which can allow a pretty powerful offensive operation (and if he's forced to defend in the open, he's toast).

Never Underestimate the Power of a Small Tactical Nuclear Weapon...

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1138
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/24/2013 7:19:34 PM   
paullus99

If he comes back to hit you at in the Gilberts - he's beyond the date for the Jap Amphib bonus & he'll be landing at an atoll, plus little or no prep?

Isn't that a bit insane?

Never Underestimate the Power of a Small Tactical Nuclear Weapon...

(in reply to paullus99)
Post #: 1139
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/24/2013 7:30:08 PM   
JocMeister

Yes, landing on a atoll without 100 prep is bad in so many ways. So he must wait or he will get destroyed landing.

(in reply to paullus99)
Post #: 1140
Page:   <<   < prev  36 37 [38] 39 40   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent Page: <<   < prev  36 37 [38] 39 40   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI