Matrix Games Forums

Happy Easter!Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets UpdatedBattle Academy Mega Pack is now availableClose Combat: Gateway to Caen Teaser Trailer
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Thinking of buying the game and have questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Thinking of buying the game and have questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Thinking of buying the game and have questions - 11/30/2012 12:44:34 AM   
Antmf

Hey all, I am thinking of getting this game but have some questions before I dive in. I am fairly new to the genre and the only 4x games that I have played are a little Civ 4 and alot of Civ 5 now but still learning but enjoying it tremendously. SO before I take the plunge I need to ask
1- Is this game fun?
2- Is it fun learning the game, and how steep is the learning curve?
3- Is the game so overwhelmed that I will get discouraged and put it down lol?
4- How does this game compare to Endless Space and other Grand Strategy games like civ and the likes?
And most importantly how is the community with helping and does the game get updated frequently?
Oh, and again is the game fun lol?
Thanks guys for your help...
Post #: 1
RE: Thinking of buying the game and have questions - 11/30/2012 1:11:11 AM   
rosseau

Yes, it is the best 4x game I have played since SSG's Reach for the Stars came out in the late 1980s.

I found it fun to learn, because it seems endlessly deep. The learning curve is fairly steep.

Endless Space is okay for a quick drive. DW is infinitely deeper if you want to go there.

A big question would be what expansions are "must haves." The forum is among the friendliest, if you check it out. You'll recognize the key people - and hopefully they can answer you in more depth.

(in reply to Antmf)
Post #: 2
RE: Thinking of buying the game and have questions - 11/30/2012 1:16:09 AM   
Antmf

ok what expansions do I need? P.S. not really concerned about money as long as the game is worth it and will keep me entertained for a long time to come... I know that depends on what i like but I have become very addicted to 4X games and much prefer them over RTS games now.
P.S. is there a gold edition or something that contains all the expansions and from what I can there are only 2 I think. Correct me if I am wrong... I'll buy the game and both expansions lol as long as you guys say its worth it :) I'll take your word for it :)

< Message edited by Antmf -- 11/30/2012 1:20:51 AM >

(in reply to rosseau)
Post #: 3
RE: Thinking of buying the game and have questions - 11/30/2012 1:32:06 AM   
Hawawaa

Is DW fun oh yes! DW has the best living galaxy in 4x. Deep customization, plenty of toys in game to play with. Your getting your moneys worth here.

Want to wrap your brain around the game watch Das24680 on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/Das24680/videos?flow=grid&view=1 There are 4 Lp's near the bottom on DW. Also take a look here- http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3205879

The game isn't overwhelming. You can automate most features in DW and slowly but surely turn them off. I still play with some automated features. Also don't forget pause when you need to.

I also play Endless Space, GalCiv2, Civ4-5, Sots 1&2, and Sins. All good stuff. I'm sure you will enjoy Distant Worlds too. Reviews on the DW expansions- http://www.spacesector.com/blog/2011/12/distant-worlds-legends-review/ and http://www.spacesector.com/blog/2011/10/distant-worlds-return-of-the-shakturi-review/

Updates come out every few months. We have a new expansion just around the corner early next year. There is a sale going on now and you have plenty of time to think on if DW is for you. (make sure to grab all the current expansions)

I sure more people will drop by and help you out.

Klingon: "Hi... my name is Andy... and am a princess...."
Sulu: "Nice lecture..." XD

(in reply to Antmf)
Post #: 4
RE: Thinking of buying the game and have questions - 11/30/2012 1:34:20 AM   
Hawawaa

There are 2 current expansions- http://www.matrixgames.com/products/398/details/Distant.Worlds.-.Return.of.the.Shakturi and next expansion- http://www.matrixgames.com/products/415/details/Distant.Worlds.-.Legends

Around the corner is Shadows.

There were rumors of a bundle coming but I don't know when that's coming. I'm assuming when Shadows comes out...?

< Message edited by Hawawaa -- 11/30/2012 1:35:59 AM >

Klingon: "Hi... my name is Andy... and am a princess...."
Sulu: "Nice lecture..." XD

(in reply to Hawawaa)
Post #: 5
RE: Thinking of buying the game and have questions - 11/30/2012 1:59:38 AM   
ehsumrell1

Hello Antmf, and welcome to the DW forums!
I am one of the beta testers of the game for Elliot and I must say (biased of course) that Distant Worlds
is the best 4X space game I've played. I've played them all ever since StarFlight. (Yes I'm old! )

1. YES, this game is fun, engrossing, immersive, I could go on and on.
2. Yes, there is a bit of learning curve, as in any 4X game, but what's unique about DW is you can
automated nearly everything, partially automate, or do everything manually as you wish. There is a
tutorial and Galactopedia for reference and learning.
3. WARNING.....Once you're 'hooked' on this game....well, I've warned you!
4. In my opinion, since Master of Orion 2, there is no comparison. Sins, SOTS, GalCiv2, etcetera, to
me don't compare.

THE GAME IS FUN ANTMF!

Also, this forum is fantastic!

Plus, I haven't even mentioned the FANTASTIC MODS that have been created by members of this forum.
I suggest getting the root game and both expansions. That way, by the time that the next expansion 'Shadows' is released in Q1 2013, you will be well verse in DW game play.

In closing though, one warning! Once you understand the game and become 'immersed', watch out for a
certain forum member named DATA. If you imbibe (especially Romulan Ale), GUARD YOUR CARGO BAYS!

Again, welcome to the world of Distant Worlds.....this one's for you!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by ehsumrell1 -- 11/30/2012 2:01:35 AM >

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

(in reply to Antmf)
Post #: 6
RE: Thinking of buying the game and have questions - 11/30/2012 2:07:02 AM   
Antmf

Thanks for the replies all. I am downloading the game and both xpacs. Can't wait to play lol. Also I am downloading it on my laptop can I also download it on my PC too? And if so how do I redownload it on my second computer and where do I find the serial codes? Thanks all...

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 7
RE: Thinking of buying the game and have questions - 11/30/2012 2:20:30 AM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Antmf

Thanks for the replies all. I am downloading the game and both xpacs. Can't wait to play lol. Also I am downloading it on my laptop can I also download it on my PC too? And if so how do I redownload it on my second computer and where do I find the serial codes? Thanks all...

Yes, you can download it to any/all of your computers that you own. Burn your base install files to
DVD Disk. You should get your codes in your download process. You can contact Matrix tech support if
you have issues. You shouldn't though. There's no DRM with Distant Worlds. Hope this helps!
GET READY FOR FUN!

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

(in reply to Antmf)
Post #: 8
RE: Thinking of buying the game and have questions - 11/30/2012 5:02:56 PM   
Cruis.In

ive never played 4x besides birth of the federation. i know what it is and whats required. I played star wars empire at war which is a basic accessible game, but its real time, so its my first experience with a game of this nature, and not having to do 'turns'

i bought this game on a chance id like it, i was looking for any space themed game to play. currently addicted like as much as possible i can play every day. last 2 weeks.

the learning curve is lessened if you read the galactipedia, and other helpful stuff. instead of just trying to assemble without instructions if u know what i mean. plus if smoething happens in game all u have to do is press f1 and search what u wanted.

learning curve : 1-2 hours

totally comfortable curve: 6-12 hours.

in DW your control exploration, expansion, military, the computer does the rest, building facilities (mining etc) ships/fleets/patrols everything. You can choose to do it manually if you like or you can choose to intervene where you want to while leaving on AI controlled automation.

high customizable down to what type of weapons the AI would more put on your ship.......very very customizable.

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 9
RE: Thinking of buying the game and have questions - 11/30/2012 5:12:34 PM   
Antmf

Thanks for reply. I purchased the game and all xpacs for it. I just finished the basic tutorial and now on to the advanced. I am also watching Das' Let's play videos on you tube. So hopefully won't be to long before I can atleast play 10 min of the game without just staring at the screen lol.

(in reply to Cruis.In)
Post #: 10
RE: Thinking of buying the game and have questions - 11/30/2012 5:39:48 PM   
Gareth_Bryne

Speaking from personal experience, simply playing the game a lot and revealing its mechanics bit by bit is probably the best way of learning it. If you start out all races from low tech, the game is very forgiving. Later you can try yourself out on surviving as underdog in a space_by_all_divided.

"Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts," - Londo Mollari

(in reply to Antmf)
Post #: 11
RE: Thinking of buying the game and have questions - 11/30/2012 9:12:58 PM   
rosseau

Also, don't forget the in-game editor, when you need an extra ship or two...

(in reply to Gareth_Bryne)
Post #: 12
RE: Thinking of buying the game and have questions - 12/1/2012 2:19:57 AM   
Cruis.In

lol NO CHEATING!

no saving reloading. play like a man its FUN!

(in reply to rosseau)
Post #: 13
RE: Thinking of buying the game and have questions - 12/1/2012 2:36:07 AM   
Kayoz

One important note -

Get the 1.7.0.16 patch by following the instructions in this post.

It contains a lot of minor fixes and balance issues which may not be in the version you downloaded.

If you have any problems, refer to Nedrear's guide list, and if the answer is not there - post any questions here. Someone is likely to be able to answer your questions. Save yourself the grief and learn from those who have made the horrible, bloody mistakes.

< Message edited by Kayoz -- 12/1/2012 3:07:53 AM >

“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens

(in reply to Antmf)
Post #: 14
RE: Thinking of buying the game and have questions - 12/1/2012 9:25:53 AM   
AminMaalouf

quote:

3- Is the game so overwhelmed that I will get discouraged and put it down lol?

Visit the War Room.

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Thinking of buying the game and have questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI