1. The option "Use Generals" is a default ( checked ) setting for the Advanced game, but not for the Basic or Intermediate games. I presume there are some effects on play ( other than gaining Generals ) if you check this option for the Basic or Intermediate games. To date I note Generals give bonuses in Quick Combat and also for Initiative.
2. Are there any other effects / bonuses applicable ( particularly in the Intermediate game, as Detailed Combat now becomes available ) ? Also, what "detail" ( e.g. moving / combat ) applies re the General's Initative bonus previously noted ?
3. On a slight tangent, why is the "Fewer Generals" default checked for the basic game when "Use Generals" is not? [ Perhaps to limit the amount that will appear if you check "Use Generals" ? ]
1. Yes there are effects on play for lower difficulty games as well. I am not sure why they are not automatically chosen for all, as I would never play a game without them. It might be to give the players something less to think about. The genrals give bonuses in all forms of battle, so they are worth it.
2. Oh yes. Where to start hehe.
a) The generals will have a chance to increase the morale of a unit each turn
b) The generals can (if the option is in play) give a unit one of their special abilities (these can be quite nice indeed)
c) The generals will give a firepower bonus to the brigade they are attached to in battle. The better the general, the better the bonus.
d) Not sure (too long since I played the game last), but I think the generals can give additional movement points for the brigade they are controlling.
e) Generals can rally routed units during battle.
3. Good one, hehe, not sure. But think you might be onto something.
Sorry for the late reply.
"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen
("She is to be torpedoed!")