Matrix Games Forums

Players compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets UpdatedBattle Academy Mega Pack is now availableClose Combat: Gateway to Caen Teaser TrailerDeal of the Week Alea Jacta EstDeal of the Week Alea Jacta Est
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Use Generals Option

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Use Generals Option Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Use Generals Option - 11/28/2012 11:28:14 PM   
DEB

The option "Use Generals" is a default ( checked ) setting for the Advanced game, but not for the Basic or Intermediate games. I presume there are some effects on play ( other than gaining Generals ) if you check this option for the Basic or Intermediate games. To date I note Generals give bonuses in Quick Combat and also for Initiative.

Are there any other effects / bonuses applicable ( particularly in the Intermediate game, as Detailed Combat now becomes available ) ? Also, what "detail" ( e.g. moving / combat ) applies re the General's Initative bonus previously noted ?

On a slight tangent, why is the "Fewer Generals" default checked for the basic game when "Use Generals" is not? [ Perhaps to limit the amount that will appear if you check "Use Generals" ? ]

Thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: Use Generals Option - 12/19/2012 12:03:12 PM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: DEB

1. The option "Use Generals" is a default ( checked ) setting for the Advanced game, but not for the Basic or Intermediate games. I presume there are some effects on play ( other than gaining Generals ) if you check this option for the Basic or Intermediate games. To date I note Generals give bonuses in Quick Combat and also for Initiative.

2. Are there any other effects / bonuses applicable ( particularly in the Intermediate game, as Detailed Combat now becomes available ) ? Also, what "detail" ( e.g. moving / combat ) applies re the General's Initative bonus previously noted ?

3. On a slight tangent, why is the "Fewer Generals" default checked for the basic game when "Use Generals" is not? [ Perhaps to limit the amount that will appear if you check "Use Generals" ? ]

Thanks.

1. Yes there are effects on play for lower difficulty games as well. I am not sure why they are not automatically chosen for all, as I would never play a game without them. It might be to give the players something less to think about. The genrals give bonuses in all forms of battle, so they are worth it.

2. Oh yes. Where to start hehe.
a) The generals will have a chance to increase the morale of a unit each turn
b) The generals can (if the option is in play) give a unit one of their special abilities (these can be quite nice indeed)
c) The generals will give a firepower bonus to the brigade they are attached to in battle. The better the general, the better the bonus.
d) Not sure (too long since I played the game last), but I think the generals can give additional movement points for the brigade they are controlling.
e) Generals can rally routed units during battle.

3. Good one, hehe, not sure. But think you might be onto something.

Sorry for the late reply.

Terje

Yeay, back in the computer age!

(in reply to DEB)
Post #: 2
RE: Use Generals Option - 12/22/2012 12:35:48 AM   
DEB

Thanks for the comments, they are very useful!

I think your reason for Generals not being a default at basic or intermediate is correct. Personally I believe they should always be used too, but maybe it's better to not use them whilst leaning the game early doors...

The "delayed" answer is not a problem, as I am still finishing off a few other game related things for a while before I attempt to play this game sometime next year. It appears rather more complicated than my other games ( except perhaps Matrix's Uncommon Valour ).

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Use Generals Option Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI