Matrix Games Forums

Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets UpdatedBattle Academy Mega Pack is now availableClose Combat: Gateway to Caen Teaser TrailerDeal of the Week Alea Jacta Est
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Best altitude for ASW patrol?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Best altitude for ASW patrol? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Best altitude for ASW patrol? - 11/28/2012 9:33:01 PM   
abulbulian

I've heard some varying tips about what altitude to set my ASW patrols as well as tinkering a bit myself. What I've noticed is that it seems (and logical) that @100 flak damage is more likely but more effective it actually attacking the sub rather than just reporting it. My other thought is that the default should maybe be 1000 for effectiveness?

Curious what results or best practices others have found. Does the type of plane (MD, HB, TB, DB, etc.) matter when trying to determine this 'best' ASW patrol altitude? I would think it should?

Thanks

- Beta Tester WitE and ATG
- Alpha Tester WitW

"Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack." - Sun Tzu
Post #: 1
RE: Best altitude for ASW patrol? - 11/28/2012 9:58:12 PM   
Cannonfodder

This can be debated but I use higher altitude (up to 6000, my standard naval search altitude) to spot subs and 1000 if I hope to attack them...

"An agile, adaptable and capable Air Force that, person for person, is second to none, and that makes a decisive air power contribution in support of the UK Defence Mission."

(in reply to abulbulian)
Post #: 2
RE: Best altitude for ASW patrol? - 11/28/2012 10:14:20 PM   
Lecivius

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cannonfodder

This can be debated but I use higher altitude (up to 6000, my standard naval search altitude) to spot subs and 1000 if I hope to attack them...

+1 for me

(in reply to Cannonfodder)
Post #: 3
RE: Best altitude for ASW patrol? - 11/28/2012 10:16:10 PM   
abulbulian

quote:

With that logic can I infer you set all planes that have the ability to 'attack' a sub to 1000 and the purely recon type planes to 6000 when on ASW patrol?

What about setting them to 100 for better effectiveness to attack and hit a sub? Most early (or even late) subs don't have that strong an AA rating?

< Message edited by abulbulian -- 11/28/2012 10:17:45 PM >

- Alpha Tester WitW

"Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack." - Sun Tzu

(in reply to Cannonfodder)
Post #: 4
RE: Best altitude for ASW patrol? - 11/28/2012 10:24:42 PM   
Jorge_Stanbury

Your planes will gain fatigue faster at 100'
higher fatigue will increase operational losses, regardless of AA levels

(in reply to abulbulian)
Post #: 5
RE: Best altitude for ASW patrol? - 11/28/2012 10:25:33 PM   
Lecivius

100 ft will raise your fatigue level considerably.

(in reply to abulbulian)
Post #: 6
RE: Best altitude for ASW patrol? - 11/28/2012 10:49:13 PM   
Jorge_Stanbury

[/quote]
With that logic can I infer you set all planes that have the ability to 'attack' a sub to 1000 and the purely recon type planes to 6000 when on ASW patrol?
[/quote]

All planes (including recon) will have the ability to attack a sub; but not all will be as deadly; a 800kg bomb from a Kate will cripple a sub; a 50kg from a Sonia will only damage it slightly.

there is no general consensus on what is the best altitude; but everybody agree it is between 6K and 1K; the balance is OP losses vs effectivity.

Also, a "spotted" submarine is ineffective; so until you have a trained enough pilots in ASW; using "naval search" is a better choice, this will not kill the sub, but make it useless; and give you an idea of where to send your subchasers

(in reply to abulbulian)
Post #: 7
RE: Best altitude for ASW patrol? - 11/28/2012 11:02:54 PM   
abulbulian

Thanks, the info on this thread will assist in my decision making on combating subs with my air groups.

- Alpha Tester WitW

(in reply to Jorge_Stanbury)
Post #: 8
RE: Best altitude for ASW patrol? - 11/30/2012 7:42:22 PM   
dr.hal

I have found that I seem to get far more reports of "Sub reported hit" by my aircraft at 100 ft vs 1000. I never put ASW searches higher than that.... But as pointed out above, 100 feet tires folks out. To combat this I add more pilots over the one to one ratio for planes AND don't operate them at 100% AND finally I don't put the range at greater than normal operating range... this seems to hold down fatigue just fine. If you simply want to suppress subs, as indicated above, 1K or 6K would do, but I like to kill them...thus 100 feet. If it is a choke point, I put searches at both 100 and 1K....

(in reply to abulbulian)
Post #: 9
RE: Best altitude for ASW patrol? - 11/30/2012 8:01:40 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: abulbulian

quote:

What about setting them to 100 for better effectiveness to attack and hit a sub? Most early (or even late) subs don't have that strong an AA rating?

If you're going to use 6000 ft. set them on search instead of ASW. ASW halves the range, and as you say you won't get attacks from 6000 ft. You're giving away half your mission for nothing at 6000ft./ASW. Patrol planes on search find subs real good.

The Moose

(in reply to abulbulian)
Post #: 10
RE: Best altitude for ASW patrol? - 12/1/2012 7:34:15 PM   
crsutton

Nobody seems to really know. A lot of pet theories. Anywhere between 5,000 and 1,000 seems to work. Mix em up a little bit. It can't hurt.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Best altitude for ASW patrol? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI