Anyone got some tips for 2nd scenario in the 1st panzer campaign ?

Share your best strategies and tactics with other players by posting them here.

Moderator: Vic

PKH

Anyone got some tips for 2nd scenario in the 1st panzer campaign ?

Post by PKH »

I've tried it a couple of times and played about 14 days into it, and don't see how I complete it in time. I think if I could set a trap for the russians and kill a lot of their units early on, I might have a chance, but I don't see how I'll have time for that plus take 10+ cities spread all over the map. The outlined strategy of driving both east and west at the same time seems like pure fantasy with the amount of forces I have.

I've tried building more units at the start of the 1st scenario, but they never fill up in time for the 2nd scenario.

Also, why is there no replacements between the scenarios. The description even says 'after a long and unopposed drive...', but no reinforcments during that time appearantly.

Finally, why does the nebelwerfer work the way it does ? It takes weeks to replace it. I think the launcher should be reusable.
Bonners

RE: Anyone got some tips for 2nd scenario in the 1st panzer campaign ?

Post by Bonners »

Strangely enough I've just started the second scenario for play inbetween my PBEM turns. I have no idea if it will work, but my plan this time is to take out the central Soviet forces and got for Maikop first. Only after that will I try the the objectives on the right flank. I've withdrawn on the right flank and intend to soak up any Soviet counter-attacks to weaken them. On turn three I will have 80pps so I intend to use them to get SS Wiking as a powerful new unit.

What is really useful for these is to read ComradeP's AAR as he really got the hang of it:

1st Panzer AAR
PKH

Post by PKH »

I wasn't aware those cards were active in this campaign until I checked after reading your post. Thanks, I will try getting some units with those cards and see how it goes after I read the AAR.
James Ward

Post by James Ward »

^ I think if you do well enough in the first scenario you can buy units at the start of the second scenario and have a little more freedom to deploy them.
PKH

Post by PKH »

I had 66 pts to spend, which I used to get tank reinforcments and a new unit. It's going better, but I think I need to do the 1st scenario a lot faster to get enough units. In the AAR I think he must have had 160 pts to get all those units.
Bonners

Post by Bonners »

Also with your extra pps it might be worth creating new air units, there are a few air units within 1st Panzer that dont fit into any of the other air units. I've created an air transport unit, a twin fighter unit (begins with Z) and a Bomber unit B (you need a B unit as the reinforcements dont fit into bomber type A already on the map - begins with K).
PKH

Post by PKH »

I tried creating both air and ground units at the start of the 1st scenario earlier, but they were still empty or almost empty before I got to scenario 2. I'm not sure how reinforcments work. It seems a bit random what I get.

Using the start shown in the AAR, I was able to cut down time on the 1st scenario a good deal (12 days early) so I now have 106 pps, which means I can start with wiking + another one. It should help.
Bismarck2761

Post by Bismarck2761 »

It took me a few times, but I figured out a strategy:

1. Do well enough first scenario to have some political points.
2. Purchase the Wiking XX and then, when you have enough other points, the Fast Slovak XX and Romanians (latter are cheap and hold flanks). You need more troops.
3. Cede at the start of the scenario everything east of the river around the starting area (e.g., Stravapol area). You don't have troops to hold ground and attack.
4. Drive fast and hard to Maikop with the mobile forces; making progress with infantry toward Aramvir. Some infantry or engineers holds NW and NE flank against Russian counter-attacks (they will). Can build some small KGs to also hold flank (even if they don't fill up).
5. Leave some force (a panzer XX+) around Maikop to clean-up cities in area with some infantry. Rest of Mobile forces push southeast.
6. Do not try to take the other major victory city. There is a dug in russian HQ there that is a bear to dislodge (would take multiple turns you do not have). Instead, take all other cities on the map (or most) with your mobile forces pushing first south of Aramvir and then curling NE.
7. The above worked - just.
PKH

Post by PKH »

I got through it on the last turn this time, playing on easy difficulty. I went down the middle and crossed the river to the east of aramvir(?) and also down the road to the east, then went west from there, and east near the end. This left a lot of forces west of aramvir which never really did much, and were force to retreat when I cut supply from the western main objective. I think I could improve by a couple of rounds, but that will have to wait for another playthrough.
PKH

Post by PKH »

I finished the campaign now on easy difficulty. It ended 6 days early as the mechanized unit in Baku pulled out and I got it by extending zoc.
Near the middle of the campaign, I managed to break through and cut off a big concentration north of the narrowest part of the map which killed off around 16k in one turn including 4 artillery units, so I could rush south after that, and the unit I met later were mostly on low readiness. Total losses were around 71k for the russians vs 10.5k for me. I'll try again on normal difficulty I think.

It's a very good game, but I wish there were more of the smaller scenarios and campaigns. The large ones are too big, too slow, and too time consuming for me. I hope there will be some addons with more linked campaigns and scenarios.
Bismarck2761

Post by Bismarck2761 »

Going down the middle can (as you experienced) work; but then you have to divide your forces. Hence my suggestion of the "Start West" and "Sweep East" strategy.
PKH

Post by PKH »

Just finished it on normal 14 days early after a couple of tries. I ended up trying to play it similarly to the AAR linked earlier. I only got the fast slovak and the romanians. I had infantry hold the bridge at Kropotkin with 2 panzer divisions clearing the road to Armavir from there, and then move on to take Maikop and the two small towns south of there.

The romanians and misc single units held the road to Stavropol where I had one panzer and one mech division together with the fast slovak. I just spread out east and south from there, trying to cut off as many units and roads as possible without getting cut off myself. I think the russians have very few mobile units in this scenario, so it's possible to spread out a lot without getting cut off. The AI started pulling back quite soon, and never got to form a defensive line in the east or the south.

Bismarck2761

Post by Bismarck2761 »

How did you take the major Victory City in the SE?
PKH

Post by PKH »

I didn't take it. I think I took all the others except Mikojan, Kislovdsk, Prokladny and Mozdok which gave me just enough points. There were only a couple of fights for the whole scenario, at the start, at Maikop and at Armavir (edit: and at Kamme Nomostkaya).

I was surprised this tactic worked so well after struggling with the scenario and running out of time several times.
Donten

Post by Donten »

Yeah hi guys.
Great game been playing this for 3 weeks since i got it. any-hoo, 1st Pz is cool game. And yeah, me too, "there are cards?" Yep need Viking. I finally won this battle using the whole front setup, yes very thin. Went for Stavapol with armour, and pushed down on the adjacent plain. If you do something bold the ai tends to retreat a bit, and reposition forces. Try to encircle where you can, out of supply soviets die quicker. was close tho, only managed to scrap through. 31 vp on the last turn, was very tight.
ps dont now why/how youd play on anything but easy/normal settings, thats hard enough. Next battle is impossible, if anyone would care to share I'd be interested to hear it.
pps cool working for Halder, what a great man, I hate to dissapoint.
wodin

Post by wodin »

ORIGINAL: PKH

It's a very good game, but I wish there were more of the smaller scenarios and campaigns. The large ones are too big, too slow, and too time consuming for me. I hope there will be some addons with more linked campaigns and scenarios.
+1000 I'd happily buy expansions that followed a particular army group. Maybe following an Army and have expansions for it that covered a new operation\campaign.

Return to “The War Room”