Matrix Games Forums

Buzz Aldrins Space Program Manager is now available!Space Program Manager gets mini-site and Twitch SessionBuzz Aldrin: Ask Me Anything (AMA) on redditDeal of the week Fantasy Kommander: Eukarion WarsSpace Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Ship Design Setup Help

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Ship Design Setup Help Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ship Design Setup Help - 11/28/2012 7:23:48 AM   
Darkspire

After a few years playing DW I think im brave enough to start designing my own ships and face the horror that is the ship design UI

First off ive got Legends patched to the current version and im on 32bit XP.

First Problem.

Ive worked out that you cant just copy the designs into your *modname*/designs folder, they have to be saved from within the game or they dont load the designs when you start a new game. Im confused though as there is now a settings folder in the C:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data\Code Force Limited\Distant Worlds\1.7.0.16\Settings and it wasnt there before. Is this connected with the one in the mod folder? I ask because the one in the docs and settings folder is not the one I saved last night, it has a different name, think it was one of my first attempts at a design file, I made sure I knew where the file was saved to and it wasn't there. So wondering why its got a different / old name and how it got there?

Second Problem

Ive designed all the state ships and bases and they load as 'optimized' on a new game, ive got all the checkboxes off for my designs in the policy screen and on the main design screen all my designs are set manual upgrade and auto retrofit.
Heres where I got stuck though, on the design screen itself at the top left is a dropbox with two options 'Auto Retrofit(Including advisor suggestions)' or only retrofit manually. I want the ships I designed to auto retrofit with no advisor suggestions, I played through half a game last night and when engines were researched the advisor popped up and asked to sort out out the new designs and I clicked yes because of the private ships, freighters, mining ships etc they are still on auto design and auto retrofit, and I ended up with an AI designed destroyer, which I didnt want and it was a real pain to get rid of as it totally knocked the whole design thing unstable, I manually upgraded the AI design to one of mine but it wouldnt show up as buildable so had to leave it on show all designs, annoying to the point I gave up the game.

So what is the correct setting on the design screen? I would like my designed ships to auto retrofit but not auto design, and would like to leave the AI to deal with the Private sector, it states in the policy screen that you have to leave the ship auto design on for the retrofit so ive left it on and as I said ive unchecked the boxes for my designs. Ive looked through the 'Whats New.PDF' that came with the update and it doesnt help much on the ship design section.

Sorry for the long post, just crap at explaining things

Darkspire

Darkspires's File Repository

Dual Core E4500 2.20GHz - GeForce 8800GT (1gb) - XP 32bit 4gb with a 3gb twist and a shaking of PAE
Post #: 1
RE: Ship Design Setup Help - 11/28/2012 11:17:10 AM   
Bingeling

I can't help with the first one.

For the second, it should work to:

- Leave design on auto in policy files
- Switch the "design" choice to manual in design list for your state ships.
- Leave the retrofit on automatic for all ship designs in the design list.

I am a bit unsure what the retrofit option actually does. It could be a choice to prevent the design from automatically retrofit into the latest available design on a retrofit order. For instance, you got a fancy alien destroyer in your first fleet, and don't want this one to retrofit to your own lousy destroyer design. With retrofit off in the design (which is default for alien ships), it is safe to give the first fleet the retrofit order. This is also relevant for your own designs if you got multiple types of ships within a ship class.

Hopefully the above make automated ships retrofit. I am more in doubt whether automated fleets retrofit automatically.

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 2
RE: Ship Design Setup Help - 11/29/2012 6:30:50 AM   
Darkspire

So no one else got any ideas how this thing works?

Darkspire

Dual Core E4500 2.20GHz - GeForce 8800GT (1gb) - XP 32bit 4gb with a 3gb twist and a shaking of PAE

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 3
RE: Ship Design Setup Help - 11/29/2012 5:51:39 PM   
solops

The ship design is my favorite part of the game. I think the design UI is excellent. The game was rather boring until I dove into designing my own ships. It forced me to learn a lot more about the game. What is lacking is information in the design UI on how some of the systems and "qualities" interact with one another, particularly with regard to energy requirements. Another shortcoming is lack of differentiation between hull types. There are differences, but the UI does not make it obvious and the differences are not "dramatic". I am afraid I cannot help with suggesting how to build ships. Just take existing designs and start modifying them, especially when new techs comes available. You will develop a feel for how effective they are.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke
Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; if it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it. - Judge Learned Hand

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 4
RE: Ship Design Setup Help - 11/29/2012 6:26:05 PM   
Darkspire

quote:

ORIGINAL: solops

The ship design is my favorite part of the game. I think the design UI is excellent. The game was rather boring until I dove into designing my own ships. It forced me to learn a lot more about the game. What is lacking is information in the design UI on how some of the systems and "qualities" interact with one another, particularly with regard to energy requirements. Another shortcoming is lack of differentiation between hull types. There are differences, but the UI does not make it obvious and the differences are not "dramatic". I am afraid I cannot help with suggesting how to build ships. Just take existing designs and start modifying them, especially when new techs comes available. You will develop a feel for how effective they are.

Thanks for the reply but did you actually read my first post as what you have posted has absolutely nothing to do with it.
I know im crap at explaining things but I didnt think I was that bad

Darkspire

< Message edited by Darkspire -- 11/29/2012 6:27:34 PM >

(in reply to solops)
Post #: 5
RE: Ship Design Setup Help - 11/29/2012 11:41:06 PM   
Cruis.In

your ships were actually winning fights? the default designs suck

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 6
RE: Ship Design Setup Help - 5/16/2013 11:06:38 AM   
joeyeti

Hm, slowly getting the feeling that what you want, Darkspire, is not (yet?) possible in the current state.

What it would need I guess is a more detailed Automation selection system for both the components that you wish to be kept vs. upgraded automatically in a design and also for ships. More granularity I guess...

(in reply to Cruis.In)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Ship Design Setup Help Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI