Matrix Games Forums

Command gets Wargame of the Year EditionDeal of the Week: Pandora SeriesPandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another updateHell is Approaching Deal of the Week Battle Academy Battle Academy 2 Out now!Legions of Steel ready for betaBattle Academy 2 gets trailers and Steam page!Deal of the Week Germany at War
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

dreadnought

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> dreadnought Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
dreadnought - 11/28/2012 12:34:18 AM   
Cruis.In

So in one of my advanced games I built a dreadnought (capital ship hull). Only really feasible once you can use the best of each component. Built it as big as possible. Near 1500 size.

It has, 25 or so titan beams, loads of assault/velocity shard and the usual other stuff. 8000 shields, 2200 armor. It goes between 7-8 speed @ 12 or so degrees turn rate. Has 2 fighter bays.

Put my fleet admiral on it, assumed control and now 'exploring'. Seeing whats going on in other peoples territory far up where I do not have eyes.

Only a 250 size world. But so far I've seen some empires fighting one another. I choose to help the one I like with my dreadnought. in return for them liking me I hope. I need refueling. Since I skimped on fuel. Its only 720 or so. But least it goes 36000 warp speed.

thoughts?
Post #: 1
RE: dreadnought - 11/28/2012 1:59:56 AM   
ehsumrell1

I'd reduce armor to 1000, add thrustvectors to increase turn rate to about 19 degrees at least (will help with ship battles in close quarters)and of course add more fuel tanks for range. Just my thoughts!

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

(in reply to Cruis.In)
Post #: 2
RE: dreadnought - 11/28/2012 2:29:56 PM   
Cruis.In

k the armor is only taking up about 20 size. since i have ultra dense. and i watched the turn factor as i increased. not much of a difference. also i put on armor at the end when i couldn't get anything else on because its only 1 size.

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 3
RE: dreadnought - 11/28/2012 5:51:17 PM   
Cauldyth

Besides, it's just not a dreadnought without gratuitous amounts of armour!

(in reply to Cruis.In)
Post #: 4
RE: dreadnought - 11/28/2012 9:43:14 PM   
Arcatus

quote:

ORIGINAL: ehsumrell1

I'd reduce armor to 1000, add thrustvectors to increase turn rate to about 19 degrees at least (will help with ship battles in close quarters)and of course add more fuel tanks for range. Just my thoughts!

It does?
Are not all weapons omni-directional?

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 5
RE: dreadnought - 11/28/2012 9:52:33 PM   
Webbco

Better for escaping

(in reply to Arcatus)
Post #: 6
RE: dreadnought - 11/29/2012 2:06:44 AM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arcatus

quote:

ORIGINAL: ehsumrell1

It does?
Are not all weapons omni-directional?

No Arcatus, not all. Take the Phaser Lance and the Rail Gun for an example. They fire forward of the
ship at the most about 30 degrees left or right. In addition, escaping ships can't/don't fire rearward
at the ships behind and chasing them from my observations and testing.

(in reply to Arcatus)
Post #: 7
RE: dreadnought - 11/29/2012 11:42:59 PM   
Cruis.In

that needs fixing, the ships should fire back when retreating. defeats purpose of long range weapons.

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 8
RE: dreadnought - 11/30/2012 2:14:18 AM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cruis.In

that needs fixing, the ships should fire back when retreating. defeats purpose of long range weapons.

I understand your viewpoint. But my opinion is (and I see this in most space simulation games especially) most weapons on spaceships are forward facing to a certain degree of range. In Distant Worlds, the only
truly effective weapon that attacks rearward is the area weapon. But unfortunately, those weapons damage
EVERY vessel around them. Torpedoes and missiles are long range but do 'track' to an extent. In Freelancer, the X3 series, even back to Descent, almost all weapons fire forward with the occasional rear firing tube or ray, or minelayer. In DW, if your maneuvering engines are better (thus having a higher/better turning radius) than who you're shooting at, you usually do more damage and win the conflict.
I believe that is what Elliot meant to portray in his idea of space combat for DW. Just my humble opinion
though and I could stand corrected!

(in reply to Cruis.In)
Post #: 9
RE: dreadnought - 11/30/2012 5:03:36 PM   
Cruis.In

well spaceships are so advanced. eh. they need turrets which can change direction haha.

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> dreadnought Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI