Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

"Refuse Flank" is it in the game?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Scourge of War Series >> "Refuse Flank" is it in the game? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
"Refuse Flank" is it in the game? - 11/27/2012 9:32:08 PM   
Swedewolf

From the first time I saw the Gettysburg film (20th Maine at little round top)I have done "Refuse flank" in all TOW games and as I bought this game when I heard it was much better Tactical AI wize I wonder if I can do it in this game too.
Havent finnished the tutorials yet, but like to know in advance anyway.

< Message edited by Swedewolf -- 11/27/2012 9:33:55 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: "Refuse Flank" is it in the game? - 11/27/2012 10:13:44 PM   
Swedewolf

Clarification
In tow I needed an whole unit to be positioned 90 degrees from the front corner and I guess that is possible in This game too. But my unclear question was aimed on if this manuever can be ordered to one regiment only. As a refused flank with a third of the commanded unit is not much of a fighting stance. Too little front. So can one regiment be positioned in an angle on its own?

< Message edited by Swedewolf -- 11/27/2012 10:14:58 PM >

(in reply to Swedewolf)
Post #: 2
RE: "Refuse Flank" is it in the game? - 11/27/2012 10:27:11 PM   
Little Powell

This is not possible with one regiment. It would have to be done by company level, and the smallest we go is regiment for most scenarios. There is a couple company level scenarios though for East Cavalry Field, GB21 and GB22 in which you command a regiment split into companies.

Maybe someone could create a company level scenario mod for Little Round Top, but again it is not available in the stock game.

(in reply to Swedewolf)
Post #: 3
RE: "Refuse Flank" is it in the game? - 11/27/2012 10:50:49 PM   
Swedewolf

Hmm ok I buy that. But the game is evolving right? Maybee implented later? Good work so far. Gonna enjoy this game for long I hope. Cheers

(in reply to Little Powell)
Post #: 4
RE: "Refuse Flank" is it in the game? - 11/27/2012 11:19:06 PM   
MarchingThruGeorgia

The game is really designed for brigade command and above. So it is unlikely you will see the type of behavior you are looking for. However, the AI is fully capable of refusing the flank with full regiments and brigades.

Secession is futile.

(in reply to Swedewolf)
Post #: 5
RE: "Refuse Flank" is it in the game? - 11/27/2012 11:56:19 PM   
Swedewolf

Good to know. Any tips for a new beginner?

< Message edited by Swedewolf -- 11/28/2012 10:21:02 AM >

(in reply to MarchingThruGeorgia)
Post #: 6
RE: "Refuse Flank" is it in the game? - 11/28/2012 4:01:48 PM   
MarchingThruGeorgia

quote:

Good to know. Any tips for a new beginner?

If you are a brigade commander, try to always have at least one regiment in reserve. That way you can move it to a flank that is being turned. Also use it to replace a regiment in the front line that is getting tired or taking heavy casualties. Rested units are much more effective than exhausted ones.
In division command, you would ideally like to keep one brigade in reserve. If you TC the brigade commander, essentially taking command yourself, you can feed regiments from that brigade into the line or either flank as the situation dictates.
AI commanders are pretty good at protecting their flanks as long as they have reserve units to use. But if they have all their units committed, which frequently happens as a battle progresses, they become vulnerable to attack. That gives the player his best opportunity for a victory. The AI also knows this and will make great efforts to force you to use up your reserves and keep pushing to get around you flanks first. If he succeeds, you'll need to perform the most difficult battlefield procedure there is, namely disengaging and falling back to better ground.
Good luck.

Secession is futile.

(in reply to Swedewolf)
Post #: 7
RE: "Refuse Flank" is it in the game? - 11/28/2012 4:55:19 PM   
Swedewolf

AI seams better programmed than in TOW. That is one of the reason I bought this game. So the battles is long enought to me consider reserves essentiall? Nice! Long enough to rest tired troops too I guess.
Are the game doing any odd things that you got tricks to handle? Like supply wagoons advancing, missplaced leaders, units dont using defencive terrain etc? TOW(total war) definatly had it.

< Message edited by Swedewolf -- 11/28/2012 4:57:07 PM >

Post #: 8
RE: "Refuse Flank" is it in the game? - 11/28/2012 6:10:41 PM   
MarchingThruGeorgia

By comparison, TOW has no AI. SOW is far and away the best AI for 19th century warfare. The AI gets no advantages or cheats. It is a true 19th century general. It reacts to the things it sees at ground level. If you play at saddle level, you are on equal terms with it.

Division sized battles will last 90-120 minutes on average. Corps and army size battles can last 2-3 hours easily. So maintaining reserves is not just a good idea, it's a necessity. The AI certainly thinks so. Just when you think you have the upper hand in a battle, the AI brings in his reserves. If you don't have any of your own, you are doomed. I am referring here to sandbox games where the AI behavior and battle are not scripted. It is the best feature of the game IMHO.

The AI does use some terrain such as fences and slopes to it's advantage much of the time. It doesn't do as well as a human mostly because it is biased to attacking rather than defending. If it sees what it feels is a better spot to engage the enemy, it will leave its position and move there. This is probably the most complained about behavior in the game. If you really want a regiment to stay in one spot and not move, you have to TC it and turn it into a zombie.

The most important thing to do before a battle begins is to know what are the capabilities of your sub-commanders. Those attributes such as command, leadership and style are not eye candy. They determine how he will fight the battle. Better generals do a better job. Aggressive ones tend to attack in nearly any situation, while defensive ones do not like to stick their necks out. Competent generals will tend to execute their orders well, incompetent ones...well good luck. This is the second most complained about feature. Many beginners think that they are god and all orders they give will be executed immediately and perfectly. That is not how human generals behave in battle and the AI doesn't either. You will need to develop a tolerance for frustration. It is one of the best features of the game.

One poor feature of the game is the wandering supply wagon. If left on its own, it will travel up and down the roads and through the regiments on the firing line. I always TC it and place it behind my lines where it won't get into trouble.

I think that answers all your questions.

Secession is futile.

(in reply to Swedewolf)
Post #: 9
RE: "Refuse Flank" is it in the game? - 11/28/2012 6:24:42 PM   
Swedewolf

Thank you for your thorouw answer. Much apreciated. Well, it seems I gonna have many good game hours with this one. Cheers

Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Scourge of War Series >> "Refuse Flank" is it in the game? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI