Matrix Games Forums

Hell is Approaching Deal of the Week Battle Academy Battle Academy 2 Out now!Legions of Steel ready for betaBattle Academy 2 gets trailers and Steam page!Deal of the Week Germany at WarSlitherine Group acquires Shenandoah StudioNew information and screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

OT: Anybody ordering themselves a few gifts this year?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT: Anybody ordering themselves a few gifts this year? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OT: Anybody ordering themselves a few gifts this year? - 11/27/2012 6:49:10 PM   
SqzMyLemon

I'm getting myself some model kits, accessories and decals this year for Christmas, you know the ones marked "from Santa to you" under the tree.

What's everyone getting themselves for Christmas this year on the sly or otherwise? I know it's all about giving, but you also want to make sure you get something special for yourself. Do you really need more underwear or socks?

Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
Post #: 1
RE: OT: Anybody ordering themselves a few gifts this year? - 11/27/2012 6:52:19 PM   
Canoerebel

Typically, my gift to myself is a day off between Christmas and New Years to do a long, cold hike in the mountains.  One year, my wife bought me a box of cigars (in a fit of permissiveness seldom since duplicated) and a cassette tape by one of my favorite singers.  So that was quite the day - kind of a road trip and massive hike all rolled into one.

Last year, my family was in Tennessee for a meeting.  That left me alone to do a 13-mile hike in Cohutta Wilderness on a cold, snowy day.  The woods were still and like a cathedral.  I finished with a stout, 2100 foot ascent of Bald Mountain.  One of my favorite "gifts" ever.  :)

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 2
RE: OT: Anybody ordering themselves a few gifts this year? - 11/27/2012 7:11:46 PM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

That left me alone to do a 13-mile hike in Cohutta Wilderness on a cold, snowy day.  The woods were still and like a cathedral.  I finished with a stout, 2100 foot ascent of Bald Mountain.  One of my favorite "gifts" ever.  :)

Now, that is just crazy talk.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3
RE: OT: Anybody ordering themselves a few gifts this year? - 11/27/2012 8:18:52 PM   
SqzMyLemon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Last year, my family was in Tennessee for a meeting.  That left me alone to do a 13-mile hike in Cohutta Wilderness on a cold, snowy day.  The woods were still and like a cathedral.  I finished with a stout, 2100 foot ascent of Bald Mountain.  One of my favorite "gifts" ever.  :)

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

Now, that is just crazy talk.

You know Dan, I get that. I'm not much of an outdoorsman, but one Christmas my spouse and I spent four days at a lodge near Banff, in Alberta. I hiked along one of the cross country ski trails in a pair of snow shoes and loved it. There definitely is something to be said for solitary time somewhere in the wilderness and having the time to reflect on things. Then I snapped a few pictures of a CN train passing near the lodge at dusk in a soft snowfall. The roast duck for dinner and a glass of wine capped off the day. Life was good.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4
RE: OT: Anybody ordering themselves a few gifts this year? - 11/27/2012 8:26:58 PM   
Canoerebel

There you go!  That's it, exactly!

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 5
RE: OT: Anybody ordering themselves a few gifts this year? - 11/27/2012 10:16:31 PM   
obvert

You guys are making me miss the mountains of the west coast!

Two years ago my present to myself was this game! I was snowed in here in London. My flight was cancelled not once, but I had three different flights cancelled over a week. I finally gave up, stayed here, missed the family Christmas and bought The Pacific and upgraded from WITP to AE. Spent most of the holiday trying to figure out how to work this rather complex bit of software.

This year I'll be in OZ with the lady's family, and my present to myself will be a day layover in Seoul on the return. Never been to Korea, so it should be interesting.

< Message edited by obvert -- 11/27/2012 10:17:27 PM >

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 6
RE: OT: Anybody ordering themselves a few gifts this year? - 11/28/2012 2:37:02 AM   
Commander Cody

Obvert: Happy to show you around Seoul to the extent work allows, certainly a beer at a good taphouse is likely. Would highly suggest a visit to the War Memorial.

EDIT: Sent you an e-mail.

Regarding the topic: This might be sacrilege, but I'm looking at buying Commander--The Great War or Alea Jacta Est for Christmas this time.

Cheers,
CC

< Message edited by Commander Cody -- 11/28/2012 2:44:55 AM >

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 7
RE: OT: Anybody ordering themselves a few gifts this year? - 11/28/2012 3:07:14 AM   
geofflambert

I know there are many out there who are too embarrassed to say what they ordered for themselves and are therefor quiet. What they need is for some moron to say what he got himself that is way more embarrassing and stupid. So as a public service I will precede them. I got tired of going to the drugstore and being seduced to buy a little packet of the kind of snacks I like. I went online and ordered in bulk 15 pounds of cheese coated popcorn and ten pounds of caramel coated popcorn. I've received the delivery notification from UPS. I live in a duplex which I own along with my best friend. It is almost impossible that he won't notice the delivery being made, and I haven't yet come up with an explanation for what is contained in those boxes. It is very important that I maintain my image as a rational self-controlled individual and need some help from you with this. I already thought of saying it is a shipment of blow-up dolls, which, for an extra charge, come already inflated. That simply won't do. Please, my fate depends on you.

(in reply to Commander Cody)
Post #: 8
RE: OT: Anybody ordering themselves a few gifts this year? - 11/28/2012 3:08:04 AM   
n01487477

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

This year I'll be in OZ with the lady's family, and my present to myself will be a day layover in Seoul on the return. Never been to Korea, so it should be interesting.

If you get to Busan - look me up too. Although I might be in Oz seeing my family too.

-Damian-
EconDoc
TrackerAE
Tutes&Java

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 9
RE: OT: Anybody ordering themselves a few gifts this year? - 11/28/2012 3:10:37 AM   
SqzMyLemon

Nobody ever comes to Edmonton.

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 10
RE: OT: Anybody ordering themselves a few gifts this year? - 11/28/2012 3:19:38 AM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: SqzMyLemon

Are you talking about the home of those oil covered guys who slip and slide around on ice chasing after those Hostess Ding-Dongs?

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 11
RE: OT: Anybody ordering themselves a few gifts this year? - 11/28/2012 4:05:45 AM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

Isn't that where that big mall is?

The Moose

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 12
RE: OT: Anybody ordering themselves a few gifts this year? - 11/28/2012 6:42:04 AM   
SqzMyLemon

No hockey this year by the look of it and the big mall (West Edmonton Mall) that was the largest in the world at one point. Seriously though, if anybody ever does come this way let me know. I'm not sure why you would, but if you do...

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 13
RE: OT: Anybody ordering themselves a few gifts this year? - 11/28/2012 7:20:40 AM   
aspqrz

Gee. Haven't been in Edmonton since Christmas ... 1981, I think ...

Phil

Author, Space Opera (FGU); RBB #1 (FASA); Road to Armageddon; Farm, Forge and Steam; Orbis Mundi; Displaced (PGD)
----------------------------------------------
Email: aspqrz@tpg.com.au

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 14
RE: OT: Anybody ordering themselves a few gifts this year? - 11/28/2012 9:41:03 AM   
RisingSun

Funny thing is that i am getting a pair of furbats (sugar gliders) that my girlfriend alway wanted. So i decided to order them from Texas and fly here, then pick it up at the airport. They are young girls and yes i did some research on them before thinking about buying them. They are quite crabby pets and playful too, once they bounded to you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCqLKnx-YNc

Note that video isnt mine, just posting for those who doesnt know what a furbat look like.

(in reply to aspqrz)
Post #: 15
RE: OT: Anybody ordering themselves a few gifts this year? - 11/28/2012 1:03:27 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

No hockey this year by the look of it and the big mall (West Edmonton Mall) that was the largest in the world at one point. Seriously though, if anybody ever does come this way let me know. I'm not sure why you would, but if you do...

Stopped at the mall for the day in 1993 when my dad and I were driving back from Alaska. They had these great perpetual motion machine/models in big glass cases that I watched for an hour or more. Real Rube Goldberg devices. Those plus the indoor submarine ride were pretty memorable.

I'm 3/4 Canadian by grandparents, and I really like the country. The US could learn a lot.

The Moose

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 16
RE: OT: Anybody ordering themselves a few gifts this year? - 11/28/2012 1:43:42 PM   
sprior

I bought the entire series of Captain Scarlet in a boxed set.

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 17
RE: OT: Anybody ordering themselves a few gifts this year? - 11/28/2012 4:23:43 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: n01487477

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

If you get to Busan - look me up too. Although I might be in Oz seeing my family too.

Cheers for the invite. I'll drop a note when I know my details and see what works.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 18
RE: OT: Anybody ordering themselves a few gifts this year? - 11/28/2012 8:24:15 PM   
CaptDave

quote:

I'm sure I'll get there sometime for a model railroad convention, although that area isn't in the rotation for a few years.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 19
RE: OT: Anybody ordering themselves a few gifts this year? - 11/29/2012 5:53:39 AM   
ilovestrategy

Too many bills, no Christmas for me.

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to CaptDave)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT: Anybody ordering themselves a few gifts this year? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI