Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Mortar fire: How to avoid?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog >> Mortar fire: How to avoid? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Mortar fire: How to avoid? - 11/27/2012 4:44:15 PM   
mbar

This could be a question for any CC game. What am I doing wrong when it comes to being hit with mortar fire? It seems like most maps I play enemy mortar fire comes raining down within the first 30 seconds of battle time. I dread that sound. <SHOOMP!> I see no enemy. Are they firing in my area because the AI is assuming I'm there somewhere?

< Message edited by mbar -- 11/27/2012 6:36:17 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Mortar fire: How to avoid? - 11/27/2012 6:31:35 PM   
PKH

I think it's because the AI has shared spotting. Once someone sees you, the mortar can drop grenades on you. You can do the same of course, so in that regard it's even. I'd like an option to play without mortars for both sides, and only have artillery support. I think the way mortars work now is too unrealistic and dominates the game.

(in reply to mbar)
Post #: 2
RE: Mortar fire: How to avoid? - 11/27/2012 6:44:20 PM   
Pvt_Grunt

quote:

ORIGINAL: PKH

I think it's because the AI has shared spotting. Once someone sees you, the mortar can drop grenades on you. You can do the same of course, so in that regard it's even. I'd like an option to play without mortars for both sides, and only have artillery support. I think the way mortars work now is too unrealistic and dominates the game.

You can set a rule with your opponent to not use them, or if playing solo you can edit the computers forcepool before the battle

(in reply to PKH)
Post #: 3
RE: Mortar fire: How to avoid? - 11/27/2012 7:04:08 PM   
PKH

quote:

You can set a rule with your opponent to not use them, or if playing solo you can edit the computers forcepool before the battle

I was not aware of that. I'll try playing without mortars from now on.

(in reply to Pvt_Grunt)
Post #: 4
RE: Mortar fire: How to avoid? - 11/27/2012 7:11:29 PM   
Steve McClaire

Also, if you know (or suspect) what unit they're shooting at, MOVE FAST to a new position as soon as possible.  It takes mortars about 30 seconds to zero in on a target, so you can often get out of the way if you're quick.  This is where having a towing vehicle for a AT gun can be very handy.

(in reply to PKH)
Post #: 5
RE: Mortar fire: How to avoid? - 11/27/2012 8:12:00 PM   
mbar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pvt_Grunt

quote:

ORIGINAL: PKH

I did realize I could edit the enemy force pool and I may do that for some games. It does feel like a cheat though. But I have to do something about the "instant artillery" feel of the prior CC games.

< Message edited by mbar -- 11/27/2012 9:22:42 PM >

(in reply to Pvt_Grunt)
Post #: 6
RE: Mortar fire: How to avoid? - 11/27/2012 9:14:35 PM   
mooxe

During online games it was routine to spec fire a mortar on known approaches. Like towards a VL that was close to the deploy area, or terrain that made troops bunch up. At the vert least if you didnt get kills, it made the opponent go prone or find another (longer) way to the objective.

VVV
http://www.closecombatseries.net

Play all versions of Close Combat at www.gameranger.com.

(in reply to mbar)
Post #: 7
RE: Mortar fire: How to avoid? - 11/28/2012 7:15:29 AM   
Stwa

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve McClaire

Also, if you know (or suspect) what unit they're shooting at, MOVE FAST to a new position as soon as possible.  It takes mortars about 30 seconds to zero in on a target, so you can often get out of the way if you're quick.  This is where having a towing vehicle for a AT gun can be very handy.

Maybe not a good idea in CCMT. With my luck the incoming round will be 81mm or larger, and as my team is running away, it will hit among them and keel them all, because they are not prone.

Again with my luck, the bad guys will take out the truck AND the AT gun.

(in reply to Steve McClaire)
Post #: 8
RE: Mortar fire: How to avoid? - 11/28/2012 2:56:30 PM   
xe5

Often the first spotting round indicates where the target is. That gives your teams(s) ~10 seconds to vamoose or hunker down. The AI will use mortars against tanks in an effort to immobilize them but a moving tank is hard to hit. Deploy your infantry in good cover, expose a moving tank (or fire a weak team) early in battle and attempt to siphon off as much much enemy mortar ammo as possble.

(in reply to Stwa)
Post #: 9
RE: Mortar fire: How to avoid? - 11/28/2012 4:39:23 PM   
mbar

quote:

ORIGINAL: xe5

Often the first spotting round indicates where the target is. That gives your teams(s) ~10 seconds to vamoose or hunker down. The AI will use mortars against tanks in an effort to immobilize them but a moving tank is hard to hit. Deploy your infantry in good cover, expose a moving tank (or fire a weak team) early in battle and attempt to siphon off as much much enemy mortar ammo as possble.

Now THAT sounds like a strategy! Thanks for the tip!

(in reply to xe5)
Post #: 10
RE: Mortar fire: How to avoid? - 11/28/2012 5:23:27 PM   
Steve McClaire

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stwa
Maybe not a good idea in CCMT...

Yes, in CCMT this would not work. I meant in PitF, where it takes time before on-map mortar fire starts to hit on target.

(in reply to Stwa)
Post #: 11
RE: Mortar fire: How to avoid? - 11/28/2012 7:22:38 PM   
redmarkus4

81mm mortar fire IS deadly and it DOES arrive quickly. A good crew can have 8-10 rounds in flight before the first one impacts, IIRC from the 1980s.

Cyberpower tower PC
Intel Core i7-3930k CPU, 3.20GHz processor
32 GB RAM
2TB HD
2xNVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 graphics cards, each with 4095 MB
Realtek sound card
Dell 3007WFP (running at 2560x1600) 32 bit monitor
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit O

(in reply to Steve McClaire)
Post #: 12
RE: Mortar fire: How to avoid? - 11/29/2012 8:04:16 AM   
Sapa

It was a good choice to make it like this..i hated the ones in the latest releases..it was better to buy mortars instead of snipers..

Good work with this one!

/Mats

(in reply to redmarkus4)
Post #: 13
RE: Mortar fire: How to avoid? - 2/20/2013 1:00:33 PM   
CSO_Talorgan

quote:

ORIGINAL: xe5

expose a moving tank (or fire a weak team) early in battle and attempt to siphon off as much much enemy mortar ammo as possble.

In the earlier games you could run (for maximum exposure) a small team across the map to a building and then sneak them out the back. The AI would sometimes expend three quarters of its mortar ammunition on that building achieving absolutely nothing.

:]

(in reply to xe5)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog >> Mortar fire: How to avoid? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI