Matrix Games Forums

Pandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another updateHell is Approaching Deal of the Week Battle Academy Battle Academy 2 Out now!Legions of Steel ready for betaBattle Academy 2 gets trailers and Steam page!Deal of the Week Germany at WarSlitherine Group acquires Shenandoah StudioNew information and screenshots for Pike & Shot
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Design Question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Commander - The Great War >> Design Question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Design Question - 11/24/2012 6:16:33 PM   
warspite1

A question on the game design;

Why have you chosen to make the naval counters all the same? i.e. there is no difference (that I can tell) between the French, AH, RN, Russian and German cruisers and no difference between the German, AH, French and British Battleships. I assume the same applies to the subs.

Just curious - not a critiscism btw.

England expects that every man will do his duty - Horatio Nelson 1805.

Post #: 1
RE: Design Question - 11/24/2012 6:23:20 PM   
Lukas

You mean the default icons? In that case, the reason is that they're all done in 3D and it takes a hell of a lot of time to create detailed ship models.

Their appearance does change as you upgrade them though, just like the land/air units.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2
RE: Design Question - 11/24/2012 6:25:08 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lukas

You mean the default icons? In that case, the reason is that they're all done in 3D and it takes a hell of a lot of time to create detailed ship models.

Their appearance does change as you upgrade them though, just like the land/air units.
warspite1

No I mean the combat factors - naval attack, quality etc.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 11/24/2012 6:26:14 PM >

(in reply to Lukas)
Post #: 3
RE: Design Question - 11/25/2012 8:51:00 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lukas

warspite1

No I mean the combat factors - naval attack, quality etc.
warspite1

Any response on this please?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 4
RE: Design Question - 11/25/2012 9:17:27 AM   
Myrddraal

Well, in terms of stats, the basic model of the game is that there is a base unit type, which is modified by research.

Differences between nations' abilities are modeled by giving the different nations different starting levels of research. If research is neglected on one side and focused on by the other, the balance can shift.

So in the game, the base unit type of cruiser has the same stats, but nations (like Britain) which have some starting naval techs will have stronger cruisers.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 5
RE: Design Question - 11/25/2012 9:44:39 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Myrddraal

Well, in terms of stats, the basic model of the game is that there is a base unit type, which is modified by research.

Differences between nations' abilities are modeled by giving the different nations different starting levels of research. If research is neglected on one side and focused on by the other, the balance can shift.

So in the game, the base unit type of cruiser has the same stats, but nations (like Britain) which have some starting naval techs will have stronger cruisers.
warspite1

Sorry if I am being thick, but how does the "stronger cruisers" manifest itself? When looking at the German cruiser counter I see the same factors as the Royal Navy and the French etc. What makes the starting RN cruiser counter stronger / better than its German counterpart?

(in reply to Myrddraal)
Post #: 6
RE: Design Question - 11/27/2012 4:42:55 PM   
jwduquette1

I'd think the Royal Navy would be a bit stronger in terms of numbers of ships -- particularly Dreadnaughts -- BBs and BCs. Almost feels like the RN should have two Battleship units at the start of the game. As it currently is the RN isn't much stronger than the German Navy, or even the Austrian, French, Russian and Italian Navies. I think the RN starts with 1 X BB and two or three CAs -- conversely the others all start with 1 x BB and 1 x CA.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Commander - The Great War >> Design Question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI