I DL'd today and played my first campaign battle.
1. Large, lovely maps. Very detailed, high rez and elegant on my 2560x1600 wide screen. These make all the difference for me and make it feel almost like a new game.
2. I removed the fog effects as they were annoying me - big improvement after I did that and it only took 30 seconds to edit the file: (open C:\Matrix Games\Close Combat Panthers in the Fog\DATA\BASE in notepad and then edit this text so that it shows all zeros instead of 4s "# Historical weather for each day (0 = Clear, 1 = overcast, 2 = light overcast, 3 = storm, 4 = morning fog)
3. Unit movement appears essentially unchanged, but the infantry do suffer losses much more rapidly - keep them hidden if you can!
4. The FOW feels much more realistic than before.
5. I like the new unit icons and the campaign map effects.
If you enjoyed the series then you will definitely enjoy this. Looks like it has loads of modding potential as well and we can hope to see a series of mods and campaigns coming from the old CC modders. My first choice would be an East Front mod.
My recommendation is buy if you are OK with the usual wait for mods and patches. There's nothing I've seen so far that would stop me from enjoying this game.