Question

Scourge of War is the definitive American Civil War grand tactical wargame of this generation. With impressive 3D graphics, an award-winning AI, pausable real-time play, historical battlefield terrain and orders of battle down to the regiment and battery level, Scourge of War captures the tactical challenges that faced the real Union and Confederate commanders more than 130 years ago.

This forum covers the main game Gettysburg and its two expansions Antietam, Pipe Creek, and Chancellorsville!

Moderator: MOD_ScourgeofWar

2ndACR

Question

Post by 2ndACR »

I tried the Iron Brigade battle in Getty's. I suffered a major defeat even though I held the ridge, forced the Rebs to run, inflicted 900+ casualties to my less than 600 and never brought the 6th into the fight.

Why on earth would I lose the battle?

That has got to be the most infuriating thing.
Jim_NSD

RE: Question

Post by Jim_NSD »

The criteria shown in the scenario introduction are that this scenario {GB03-July1-Blood In The Run (U-Brig)} is scored at these points levels:

Victory Conditions:
3000 = Major Victory
2000 = Minor Victory
1000 = Draw
0 = Minor Defeat
-500 = Major Defeat

Without additional details, I might suspect that you did not pay sufficient attention to collecting points available at the Objectives in the scenario. There are two objectives in this scenario, one at Herbst Woods and one at McPherson Farm. Points are collected at 200 pts per min at the Herbst Woods OBJ and at 100 PPM at McPherson Ridge. It takes an officer and at least 100 men to activate either objective. With only a single brigade under your command, you cannot hold both objectives so you need to decide which one to go for.

In a Sandbox game with no objectives, you would have scored very well.

-Jim
Design Lead: Scourge of War

"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont Infantry, 2 July 1863
Blaugrana

Post by Blaugrana »

Did you occupy the objective(s) with a commander and the required number of troops? Only by doing this will the objective become yours and start accruing points for you. The objective will display your side's flag when you hold it.

HTH
2ndACR

Post by 2ndACR »

That must be it........I must not have occupied the objective correctly. I will just have to try that again. Love the game, but it takes a bunch of time to get the hang of.
2ndACR

Post by 2ndACR »

That was it, tried again and got a 5000+ score. Major victory, and the infantry never entered the fight.

Now I have to figure out how to get my troops to resupply. I click the button, they move, but never see the ammo count change. Maybe I need more time.
Garnier

Post by Garnier »

2ndACR -
To resupply, move your regiment right next to the wagon. The resupply button is far less reliable than just moving the wagon and regiment together.
Play Scourge of War Multiplayer! www.sowmp.com
2ndACR

Post by 2ndACR »

Cool, been getting spanked trying to control Div level. Need to dive a little deeper into the order list. Had a regiment charge right into 3 Union regiments and got ripped to shreds for no reason. And then the brigade commander sent another one into the same fire storm. I need a shoot commander button.

Return to “Scourge of War Gettysburg Series”