Checklists?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Combat_Comm

Checklists?

Post by Combat_Comm »

Hi everyone. I'm new to the game and still going through the manual. So far I find this really great as i'am a vet of the older games like 6th fleet and such.

One of the keys to the game seems to be organization. How do you remember everything that needs do be done in a turn? Do you have a checklist and divide the map up into sectors and run the list for each one? What is your organizational method?

Rich
RogerJNeilson

RE: Checklists?

Post by RogerJNeilson »

I run round the map in a circular direction... increasingly I am using Task List Guru (freeware) to plan and keep track of what is going on.

Roger
An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

Roger: What is Task List Guru?

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
RogerJNeilson

Post by RogerJNeilson »

http://www.dextronet.com/task-list-guru

Allows individual tasks to be set, with accompanying notes and screen grabs.... allows you to categorise an operational area, state of the activity and allows you to set the date relating to it.

An example is this one - made up of course to avoid compromising Opsec.

You have a list of tasks that can be ordered according to date, or Priority, or Type... only thing you cannot do is reminder as its all in the past so the date is no longer current according to the programme.

Attachments
24112012184536.jpg
24112012184536.jpg (66.9 KiB) Viewed 87 times
An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released
KPAX

Post by KPAX »

This is simply a start. When you play for a bit, you will find a comfortable rhyme for yourself.

These are all Allied comments. There will be a slight difference in what needs to be done. Example, Japan has to worry about production and such. The Allies the off map convoy and all the new units they receive.

1. There are several good "add-ons", Tracker, and such. They are in the forum here.

2. I keep a pad and watch the replay closely, making notes of things which need to be addressed. Set the delay in the game to a comfortable speed and remember ESC is your friend to speed things up on the replay.

3. For the Allies, after the initial crushing they can do very little offensively, other than possible be a pain here and there. The thing they can do from the start is use their subs. Each turn I open the Ship List, filter through for SS only, and sort by SYS so the damaged ones come up. Anyone at 10% or more damage goes back home for repair. Cycling the subs in and out will take time, but with good results.

4. I make sure pilot training is going well and morale is not too low. Each turn I open the aircraft screen sort by morale with lowest on top and stand down anyone which has 90% or less in non critical areas. They do not train well if morale is less than 90%. I reverse the sort and put those at 99% which were previously on stand down and put them back to work. Remember new units come in at morale of 40%.

5. I watch for new ships, air units and land units which come on line and get them going to the right spots. This can be done each turn or after several, just depending on how you are doing.

6. Set up convoys and get your fuel, supplies and units moving. Set up CS for as much convoy as you can. Make sure you take full advantage of the off map routes - Abadon (sp?) to Karachi and East Coast to Cape Town and/or Panama Canal.

Now this is a very simple list to get you started. There are many other things to consider. Setting land unit objectives, where to mine, where to put PBYs, respond to his sub attacks via ASW assests, where do you want to draw the line in the sand, watching for "withdrawal" units, where to build ports, forts and airfields, how to respond to your opponent, etc.
"War makes Heros on both sides." Hero (the movie)

Thanks !!

KPAX
downtown

Post by downtown »

Holy crap! I have to say although I knew this game was demanding I never expected it to be this demanding. I am just playing my first scenario at Guadalcanal and I am seeing how much I have to track just for this little action. I wonder how long it takes you to do a normal turn in real time?

Old soldiers never die. They just fade away.
KPAX

Post by KPAX »

You will get the hang of it quickly. There are many little things which you will learn later, and which I am still learning all the time, but the basics are not too bad.

Run through the GCanal maybe twice then jump in on the full game. The first several months of game will take a while, but after that it goes faster.

Playing PBEM there will be a time when there are quite times and the game moves fast. In one PBEM game we hit a few months of quite time and fasted through it. In that same game my opponent and I get through 2-5 turns/day. Some times it takes long for the replay then to enter the orders.

Stick with it, Downtown, you are entering into the best war game ever made! There is a life time worth of enjoyment and fun in this game.

If you get stuck on how something works, I can just about say for sure that it has been asked already. Just do a search in the forum here or just post your question. This is a great group of folks who are always eager to help!

Once you feel comfortable with the game, jump into the PBEM part.
"War makes Heros on both sides." Hero (the movie)

Thanks !!

KPAX
inqistor

Post by inqistor »

I have generally map divided into sectors, but I forgot too much things, when I done it in this way, so now I first issue most important orders immediately after watching turn run.

And the first thing then, is to check ship list, and damages. There is quite a lots of hits by enemy search planes, which you would miss otherwise.
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

Hell, I just wing it. Works just fine for me......
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
bigred

Post by bigred »

You will learn fast after u get a pbem game...

this is a good link... another issue for u to think about...tm.asp?m=3218840
---bigred---

IJ Production mistakes--
tm.asp?m=2597400
The Gnome

Post by The Gnome »

I usually wing it, but I like checklists for the first turn. If you're not a fan of installed software and prefer the cloud I use Remember the Milk, also comes with iOS and Android apps.

https://www.rememberthemilk.com

I can keep a tablet or separate computer going with the list, and AE on the gaming computer.
jeffk3510

Post by jeffk3510 »

ORIGINAL: Roger Neilson 3

http://www.dextronet.com/task-list-guru

Allows individual tasks to be set, with accompanying notes and screen grabs.... allows you to categorise an operational area, state of the activity and allows you to set the date relating to it.

An example is this one - made up of course to avoid compromising Opsec.

You have a list of tasks that can be ordered according to date, or Priority, or Type... only thing you cannot do is reminder as its all in the past so the date is no longer current according to the programme.

Roger-
This looks very interesting...
I have a PBEM game that has five guys involved, and we're splitting duties. It goes pretty quick and doesn't require a lot of stuff to keep your area straight. I don't want to take on another full campaign right now, as I have very little time the way it is. I might pick back up my full GC against AI that I stopped...if I could use something like this. Do you mind telling me or showing me a little bit more? PM if possible.
Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Dez caught it
TulliusDetritus

Post by TulliusDetritus »

Organization is absolutelty everything [8D] Especially in this monster game!

I use excel files. In fact my ultimate goal is this one: do not allow units doing nothing... To make sure everyone (naval, air, land units) is doing something useful you have to stay organized.

So in fact I am not asking "what are my units doing" but "what units are NOT doing anything".

The excel files tell me this. Because when x unit is doing something I write that down. I just have to use a filter and voilà: I have the units with no assigned mission. Then of course I give them some useful job (according to the general plan, needs) [:D]

I think Sun-Tzu had said that commanding 10 men or 100.000 was basically the same... as long as you stay organized...
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

ORIGINAL: downtown

Holy crap! I have to say although I knew this game was demanding I never expected it to be this demanding. I am just playing my first scenario at Guadalcanal and I am seeing how much I have to track just for this little action. I wonder how long it takes you to do a normal turn in real time?

First turn as Allies in Grand Campaign can take up to 2 hrs (and I am fairly experienced player), after that, it's usually 15-20 mins (unless having some major operation going on). It just depends how much you want to micromanage. Vs AI it's not so important than in PBEM.
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

Dragoon.

Post by Dragoon. »

I just ordered the game. While searching for tutorials and AAR I was wondering if anyone remembers the Gary Grigsby's Pacific War Player Checklist and Tactics? (Text Version, Word Document) Is there a similar impressive checklist for this game, or could the old checklist used with discretion for this game game too?
Back then in Gary Grigsby's Pacific War, already the table of contents was enough to remember myself of all the important tasks and the order to do them.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”