From: Where the heart is; Home of the Fighting Irish
This is simply a start. When you play for a bit, you will find a comfortable rhyme for yourself.
These are all Allied comments. There will be a slight difference in what needs to be done. Example, Japan has to worry about production and such. The Allies the off map convoy and all the new units they receive.
1. There are several good "add-ons", Tracker, and such. They are in the forum here.
2. I keep a pad and watch the replay closely, making notes of things which need to be addressed. Set the delay in the game to a comfortable speed and remember ESC is your friend to speed things up on the replay.
3. For the Allies, after the initial crushing they can do very little offensively, other than possible be a pain here and there. The thing they can do from the start is use their subs. Each turn I open the Ship List, filter through for SS only, and sort by SYS so the damaged ones come up. Anyone at 10% or more damage goes back home for repair. Cycling the subs in and out will take time, but with good results.
4. I make sure pilot training is going well and morale is not too low. Each turn I open the aircraft screen sort by morale with lowest on top and stand down anyone which has 90% or less in non critical areas. They do not train well if morale is less than 90%. I reverse the sort and put those at 99% which were previously on stand down and put them back to work. Remember new units come in at morale of 40%.
5. I watch for new ships, air units and land units which come on line and get them going to the right spots. This can be done each turn or after several, just depending on how you are doing.
6. Set up convoys and get your fuel, supplies and units moving. Set up CS for as much convoy as you can. Make sure you take full advantage of the off map routes - Abadon (sp?) to Karachi and East Coast to Cape Town and/or Panama Canal.
Now this is a very simple list to get you started. There are many other things to consider. Setting land unit objectives, where to mine, where to put PBYs, respond to his sub attacks via ASW assests, where do you want to draw the line in the sand, watching for "withdrawal" units, where to build ports, forts and airfields, how to respond to your opponent, etc.
"War makes Heros on both sides." Hero (the movie)