Matrix Games Forums

Space Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Friendly questions/suggestions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog >> Friendly questions/suggestions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Friendly questions/suggestions - 11/23/2012 9:06:19 PM   
Panjack

1. I find it frustrating to determine elevations of the landscape. Is there something I've not figured out yet? That is, something other than using (tedious) line of sight techniques? Can some overlay to maps be provided that indicates high and low points in the landscape?

2. In the first full day of the historical campaign the Germans (AI) is not aggressive enough. The Germans are the ones who are supposed to be advancing, but Panthers often just sit far back and puff their chests out (while my tanks cower behind any available protection). Yes I understand Germans might not want to risk aggressive moves (with their likely too-few Panthers) because they might lack enough infantry support. But they need to take more risks as often my units can't put up much of a fight against them. Perhaps this changes in later days of the campaign, but if not this is something that might be addressed in patches.

3. At least once a German mortar scored a direct hit (a lucky first shot I think) on an open-topped M-10 (or whatever it is). Vehicle destroyed. But the mortar(s) continued to fire shell after shell at the same location until, I think, it ran out of shells. This pitted the landscape impressively and provided a nice display of explosions. But this seems to have been a mistake. Perhaps something is amiss with the AI firing logic: the target was destroyed after perhaps the first shell.
Post #: 1
RE: Friendly questions/suggestions - 11/24/2012 1:35:25 AM   
xe5

1. There is the even more tedious right click and drag technique to determine elevations. The best attempt at an elevation 'overlay' Ive seen for CC is Thomm's quasi-3D .OVMs (zoomed out view) for CC4 & 5. The reduced size sample of St Pierre below barely does the concept justice.

2. IRL, Hitler had the same complaint. The German advance stalled by noon on August 7th. I'd like to see AI aggressiveness tied to relative starting force strength then adjust based on relative Force Morale (top bars}.

3. Mortars are supposed to fire 6 shot fire missions. When the AI has more than one mortar unit it will fire missions from both at the same target. I find AI mortars to be fairly fearsome in PITF. Often its useful to expose an armored vehicle early in battle and jockey it around to 'soak off' as much mortar ammo as possible.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by xe5 -- 11/24/2012 1:36:22 AM >

(in reply to Panjack)
Post #: 2
RE: Friendly questions/suggestions - 11/24/2012 6:58:17 PM   
Panjack

quote:

ORIGINAL: xe5
3. Mortars are supposed to fire 6 shot fire missions. When the AI has more than one mortar unit it will fire missions from both at the same target. I find AI mortars to be fairly fearsome in PITF. Often its useful to expose an armored vehicle early in battle and jockey it around to 'soak off' as much mortar ammo as possible.

In this case, it appears all mortars fired at the same spot until they ran out of shells. After this one target was plastered, no further German mortar shells were fired in the engagement.

(in reply to xe5)
Post #: 3
RE: Friendly questions/suggestions - 11/24/2012 8:05:00 PM   
redmarkus4

I think that's a fairly realistic use of mortars, bearing in mind that the enemy can't see what you can see and may not be certain of the kill. If I was your opponent, I would also be hoping that there were infantry in position to protect the tank - if it's my only target I'd plaster it too.

Cyberpower tower PC
Intel Core i7-3930k CPU, 3.20GHz processor
32 GB RAM
2TB HD
2xNVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 graphics cards, each with 4095 MB
Realtek sound card
Dell 3007WFP (running at 2560x1600) 32 bit monitor
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit O

(in reply to Panjack)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog >> Friendly questions/suggestions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI