Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

DW addiction

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> DW addiction Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
DW addiction - 11/22/2012 1:45:53 AM   
Cruis.In

I can't figure out with makes me addicted to DW. I liken the game to Ceasar 3 in space. Where you could see everything going on. Like in ceasar if a guy pushing a cart with iron ore in it was going to a warehouse that was full, he'd stop in the road. If you clicked on him he'd say why he stopped "No more room in the XX"

You saw all the citizens walking and going about their lives. Just like in DW, the ships go about their lives in space.

But it is so much fun to run this empire on the macro level, making decisions on the micro when you need to. I've even turned off 50% of the automation as I've become way more comfortable with certain things.

I hope though that in the future it gets a graphics upgrade like star drive, StarDrive is still 2d top down, but uses a 3d renderer I believe, as the ships are models with textures, you can see the side of the ships and stuff when they turn. But there is no 3d movement in star drive, I just want that to be clear.

Also the zooming in DW is very stuttery not move, remniscent of a 2d render with the sprite graphics. That being the issue.

Those are my two peeves, the zooming and the graphics. Hopefully SD doesn't have as good gameplay cause i never wanna leave DW. A lot of easy to use tools like UNITY out there could really speed up transition to better graphics, just keep the game the way it is but render it better. Dunno just throwing stuff out there.

What made/makes you love/addicted to DW?

STAR drive video for those wondering what I am talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWV6Ky1xNog

< Message edited by Cruis.In -- 11/22/2012 1:47:22 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: DW addiction - 11/22/2012 11:51:00 AM   
feelotraveller

Hey man, you trying to get me hooked again or what? 

For me the love is in the 41 resources and the seemingly endless components and the flexible ship and base design and ... well everything really...

A tip - most times you are better off not zooming but clicking to the preset levels, by the buttons on the right or using or the keyboard shortcuts.  Particularly if you are expanding the view where there are lots of ships present.

(in reply to Cruis.In)
Post #: 2
RE: DW addiction - 11/22/2012 7:27:06 PM   
WiZz

I'm not sure, that SD supports so epic scale like DW.

(in reply to feelotraveller)
Post #: 3
RE: DW addiction - 11/23/2012 2:31:49 AM   
Anthropoid

Glad to hear DW has another 'victim'

The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ328&feature=autoplay&list=AL94UKMTqg-9CocLGbd6tpbuQRxyF4FGNr&playnext=3

(in reply to WiZz)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> DW addiction Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI