Matrix Games Forums

Space Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Soviet Support Unit Questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> Soviet Support Unit Questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Soviet Support Unit Questions - 11/21/2012 9:36:59 PM   
hfarrish

1) Is there any limit to the number of support units a particular HQ can commit to an action, either individually (i.e. Army) or in aggregate (i.e. Army and Front)?

2) What regulates the types of support units you can attach to Corps? Is it typically only infantry and armor, with artillery being not allowed?
Post #: 1
RE: Soviet Support Unit Questions - 11/21/2012 10:20:57 PM   
carlkay58

1) Not sure but I believe it is 3.

2) Whatever it allows you to attack to it. I have never had any problems attaching any type of SU to a Corps HQ (Soviet or Axis), but I know there is a limited selection for Soviet Corps units. If you go to Assign/Attach it will list the possible types you can attach to that Corps.

(in reply to hfarrish)
Post #: 2
RE: Soviet Support Unit Questions - 11/21/2012 10:39:14 PM   
turtlefang

I don't have an absolute answer, and would appreciate some insight from someone who does know, but it's not quite that simple.

1) In a normal battle, I think the limit is three artillery units. I believe that you can then have additional non-artillery units committed, one of each type. I have seen more than three SUs in combat but don't ever remember seeing more than 3 artillery SUs.

2) In town and city combat, the number increases. I don't remember the town number, but in a full city hex, you can have up to 18 support units. Not sure of the mix of artillery and other units. And I have never come close to that many. However that is what the manual says and I know from my own experience that at least 9 SUs have been activated.

3) This doesn't count units directly attached to a corps unit. For example, if you have a heavy tank regiment attached to a Cav Combat Corps, the HQ supporting the Corps can then add its support unit on top of the corps unit.

4) I have seen mix reports regarding attaching Soviet SUs to Soviet Combat Corps (not HQs). I have been able to attach things ski battalions, Tank regiments, engineer units, and so on. However, I have tried repeately to attached artillery SUs to a Corps and not been able to - so either I'm doing something wrong (very possible), or it can't be done.

And my combats always (as far as I can remember) always involve more than one unit.

So the question would also be - is this per limit on each combat or each unit in the combat execution?

And how does this work if the defense - for example - comes from two separate armies? Is the limit a hard limit or does it double?

(in reply to hfarrish)
Post #: 3
RE: Soviet Support Unit Questions - 11/22/2012 2:02:57 AM   
hfarrish

quote:

ORIGINAL: carlkay58

1) Not sure but I believe it is 3.

2) Whatever it allows you to attack to it. I have never had any problems attaching any type of SU to a Corps HQ (Soviet or Axis), but I know there is a limited selection for Soviet Corps units. If you go to Assign/Attach it will list the possible types you can attach to that Corps.

3 total for the battle or three total per HQ? Thinking this must be HQ...as far as Corps my experience is that only Sappers, Tank and RR Brigades are available, but other than arty I am not building many other types so that probably is not an exhaustive list.

(in reply to carlkay58)
Post #: 4
RE: Soviet Support Unit Questions - 11/22/2012 5:38:58 AM   
Wally Wilson

Six total SU's from all of HQ's involved in a single combat can be committed. In urban hexes its 18. SU's attached to combat units are always committed. The only combat units that artillery can be attached to are forts.

(in reply to hfarrish)
Post #: 5
RE: Soviet Support Unit Questions - 11/24/2012 2:45:33 AM   
turtlefang

Thanks, for some reason I haven't been able to find a definitive answer.

(in reply to Wally Wilson)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> Soviet Support Unit Questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI