Matrix Games Forums

Happy Easter!Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets UpdatedBattle Academy Mega Pack is now availableClose Combat: Gateway to Caen Teaser Trailer
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Random maps

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> RE: Random maps Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Random maps - 3/29/2013 9:09:08 PM   
jimcarravallah

quote:

ORIGINAL: RockinHarry

. . .

I was only speaking to the concept of auto-generating types of engagements, not the results.

Moved on from SPWAW / SP2WW2 and SPMBT long ago because my interests were aimed more at force on force issues from those engagements and the logistics that affected them (as a minimum resupply issues / supply lines in a longer term battle).

Roger that! :) From my experience that´s an ongoing issue. Currently don´t know of any wargames that give either good auto generated force compositions, nor random maps and appropiately set up tasks. CMX1 quick battles failed at it (IMHO), as well as does SP. It´s likely a science on its own to get that working and personally I´d prefer Dave working on other things.

Roger that!

Take care,

jim

(in reply to RockinHarry)
Post #: 31
RE: Random maps - 3/29/2013 10:10:11 PM   
Perturabo

One thing that makes me prefer playing Armored Brigade over BftB is how long it takes to create a scenario in the latter.
In AB it's just a question of choosing a map fragment to play on and selecting forces by clicking on them.
In BftB it's choosing a map, setting up objectives, writing victory conditions, choosing forces by creating units and dragging and dropping entities into them, etc.
So, while in AB, I can casually play new scenarios, in BftB it requires a significant amount of work.
While IMO random maps and random units selection would be an overkill and additional scenario creation mode that automatizes a part of the scenario creation process would be welcome. One thing that would be great would be automatic set up of subordinate forces (for example ability to deploy a whole battalion or larger force by just deploying the HQ) and objective and victory condition templates.
Another nice thing would be an ability to change Estab file in a pre-existing scenario.

Without social solidarity manifested in the form of welfare state, people inhabiting one territory are a non-nation of mortal enemies engaged in competition for survival.

(in reply to jimcarravallah)
Post #: 32
RE: Random maps - 3/29/2013 10:16:08 PM   
Jafele

Advanced Tactics Gold has an excellent random map generator. There are plenty of options to get literally the map you wish. To make any scenario it is only required one minute and a few clicks. As you can imagine the replayability is infinite.

Features:

1-World size (From small to unplayably large)
2-Players (1-14)
3-World type (% of land and sea)
4-Options: Map loop; Mirrorish; Shroud; one town start; Costly research; Stone age; hidden stats; allied AI; Use resources; No roads; Wild land; Depleted land; Deserted lands; Mods (players are allowed to use their mods)
5-Weather: No climate; Full range; Artic-temperate; Subtropic-Tropic; Temperate
6-Extra settings: Continental size; Humidity (% rivers & mountains); Geological Age (% woods).
7-Extra options: Limited initial roads; Natural coastlines; No farmlands; Higher production cost; No suburbs
8-You can use the editor to make additional adjustments.

< Message edited by Jafele -- 3/29/2013 11:46:18 PM >

Post #: 33
RE: Random maps - 3/30/2013 12:12:21 AM   
Arjuna

Personally, I would prefer Dave not working so hard!

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to Jafele)
Post #: 34
RE: Random maps - 3/30/2013 12:28:15 AM   
jimcarravallah

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arjuna

Personally, I would prefer Dave not working so hard!

Ah, but then you'd lose your fan club

Take care,

jim

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 35
RE: Random maps - 3/30/2013 9:29:09 AM   
phoenix

Take a break, Dave, for Easter. And have a good Easter!

Peturabo - isn't this - for example ability to deploy a whole battalion or larger force by just deploying the HQ - just what happens in the scenmaker by default?

Post #: 36
RE: Random maps - 3/30/2013 1:10:10 PM   
Arjuna

quote:

ORIGINAL: Perturabo

One thing that makes me prefer playing Armored Brigade over BftB is how long it takes to create a scenario in the latter.
In AB it's just a question of choosing a map fragment to play on and selecting forces by clicking on them.

So what you in AB you don't have objectives - it's just a free for all?

quote:

One thing that would be great would be automatic set up of subordinate forces (for example ability to deploy a whole battalion or larger force by just deploying the HQ) and objective and victory condition templates.

Well you can do just that by using the reinforcement schedules. Just drag your Bn HQ to the reinf schedule. Then drag it on to the map where you want it to arrive and set the time to scenario start. Hey presto the whole Bn arrives at that location. Too easy.
quote:

Another nice thing would be an ability to change Estab file in a pre-existing scenario.
Yes I agree it would be nice. In fact we conducted some experiments with that recently. It gets a bit tricky handling duplicate IDs and near duplicate units. But it is something we are working on in between other things as time permits.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 37
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> RE: Random maps Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI