Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!Pike & Shot gets Release Date and Twitch Session!Deal of the Week Espana 1936
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

OK--longtime lurker now a newbie

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OK--longtime lurker now a newbie Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OK--longtime lurker now a newbie - 11/21/2012 3:15:15 PM   
downtown

Hello all,

I have always wanted to dive into this game, but price and time constraints usually stopped me. When it went on sale for the holidays I just had to buy it. So, with that said, I would like some advice on how to begin. I loaded the game and noticed most of the scenarios are full length campaigns. Do I start with one of those, or should I start with Guadalcanal, which is limited to the Solomons campaign. I am anticipating a long learning curve, and I think if I start there I can experiment to my hearts content and learn by dying LOL. If a tips for newbies entry exists please lead me to it, otherwise any and all suggestions will be welcomed.

Post #: 1
RE: OK--longtime lurker now a newbie - 11/21/2012 3:26:00 PM   
Empire101

Hi downtown, and welcome.

I'd recommend the Guadacanal to get a handle on how things work against the AI.

This is one of the best Forums around, so don't be afraid to ask questions here.

Good choice in buying AE, you will not be disappointed.

Our lives may be more boring than those who lived in apocalyptic times,
but being bored is greatly preferable to being prematurely dead because of some ideological fantasy.
- Michael Burleigh

(in reply to downtown)
Post #: 2
RE: OK--longtime lurker now a newbie - 11/21/2012 3:27:30 PM   
SuluSea

Welcome Downtown. This may be the most comprehensive newbie thread.

I suggest playing Coral Sea first, then moving to other small scenarios.

”How strangely will the Tools of a Tyrant pervert the plain Meaning of Words!” ~ Samuel Adams

(in reply to downtown)
Post #: 3
RE: OK--longtime lurker now a newbie - 11/21/2012 3:29:59 PM   
pws1225

Welcome aboard downtown.

Most folks recommend starting with one of the shorter scenarios like Guadalcanal to learn the basics of movement, task formation, etc. I think that's good advice simply because the scope of the game is so vast, it's easier to learn the basics in a simpler scenario.

As for learning tools, the main forum page about half way down has a link to some Basic Training tutorials. Give those a try. They're really pretty good. Also, the members of the forum are than generous when it comes to answering questions. All you have to do is ask and you'll get your answer pretty quick.

Regards, Paul

(in reply to downtown)
Post #: 4
RE: OK--longtime lurker now a newbie - 11/21/2012 3:51:12 PM   
downtown

Thanks, guys! I will start with Guadalcanal, as that brings back memories of my playing the Avalon Hill game of the same name so many years ago. I will certainly be on here more as I progress in the game.

Old soldiers never die. They just fade away.

(in reply to pws1225)
Post #: 5
RE: OK--longtime lurker now a newbie - 11/21/2012 4:19:50 PM   
Chickenboy

Welcome, downtown! I agree with the others above: lots of good information from other forum dwellers, but trial and error (and error and more error...) is a good way to learn this beast also.

(in reply to downtown)
Post #: 6
RE: OK--longtime lurker now a newbie - 11/21/2012 6:51:35 PM   
crsutton

Hey welcome. I would say 90% of the things I have learned comes from following some of the better After Action Reports. Lots of stuff there.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 7
RE: OK--longtime lurker now a newbie - 11/21/2012 6:55:44 PM   
Ranger5355

If you start with a grand campaign it might take you all day to make your first move. Then thirty turns later you'll realize you have to start over because of all the stuff you did wrong

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 8
RE: OK--longtime lurker now a newbie - 11/21/2012 7:34:53 PM   
Roger Neilson 3

No truck with these piddly little scenarios. I jumped right into the big one and am now in Dec 1943 and still discovering stuff I should have done differently. Perfection is never attained, just fire it up and use experiential learning..... so you screw up a few time every move, pain is the best teacher.

Mind you I am crazy.

Roger

(in reply to Ranger5355)
Post #: 9
RE: OK--longtime lurker now a newbie - 11/21/2012 7:51:29 PM   
Lecivius

Thou art doomed You better kiss your wife, your kids, and your sanity good bye while you still can.

(in reply to Roger Neilson 3)
Post #: 10
RE: OK--longtime lurker now a newbie - 11/21/2012 8:14:14 PM   
AW1Steve

Congratulations and welcome! And don't be discouraged, you'll learn much more from your defeats and mistakes then you ever will from victories!

"Geezerhood is a state of mind, attained by being largely out of yours". AW1Steve

"Quit whining and play the game. Or go home". My 7th grade baseball coach. It applies well to WITP AE players.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 11
RE: OK--longtime lurker now a newbie - 11/21/2012 9:12:50 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: downtown

Hello all,

I have always wanted to dive into this game, but price and time constraints usually stopped me. When it went on sale for the holidays I just had to buy it. So, with that said, I would like some advice on how to begin. I loaded the game and noticed most of the scenarios are full length campaigns. Do I start with one of those, or should I start with Guadalcanal, which is limited to the Solomons campaign. I am anticipating a long learning curve, and I think if I start there I can experiment to my hearts content and learn by dying LOL. If a tips for newbies entry exists please lead me to it, otherwise any and all suggestions will be welcomed.

Make sure you patch it up before you start anything.

Welcome.

The Moose

(in reply to downtown)
Post #: 12
RE: OK--longtime lurker now a newbie - 11/21/2012 10:04:39 PM   
Sardaukar

Welcome, downtown!

This is one of the best forums around to ask questions, even when arguments sometimes get heated (not too bad).

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 13
RE: OK--longtime lurker now a newbie - 11/21/2012 10:12:56 PM   
Cannonfodder

Try to play a bit and then read the manual. Some of the info is outdated but it does get you started and gives a nice idea of what is important to consider...

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 14
RE: OK--longtime lurker now a newbie - 11/21/2012 11:52:38 PM   
tocaff

Welcome aboard. Now that you have AE you'll come to realize just how inexpensive it really is when you compare the price to the time you spend with it. One more thing, say goodbye to life as you knew it.

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forum/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to Cannonfodder)
Post #: 15
RE: OK--longtime lurker now a newbie - 11/22/2012 12:56:09 AM   
Gräfin Zeppelin

Welcome to the feeding grounds.

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OK--longtime lurker now a newbie Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI