Newcomer to CC needs advise on PitF

Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog is the first new release (not a re-make of a previous games) in years in the critically acclaimed Close Combat series. It details the desperate German counter-attack at Mortain, the last chance of the Wehrmacht to stave off defeat in Normandy. Can you match the tenacity of the American defenders of Hill 314? Or can you succeed where the Panzers failed, driving through to the sea and changing history? Improved 32-bit graphics and the ability to control more squads than ever bring the Close Combat engine to a new level.
Trost

Newcomer to CC needs advise on PitF

Post by Trost »

Hello hmm im not very adept to post in forums so ill try to be concise.
For the most part ive played turn based stuff such as Panzer General series, and then Panzercorps until now, with some adventures into real time such as CoH or Men of war, and both of them left me rather dissapointed.
Ive watched lots of gameplay videos from different CC games in youtube, the Stalingrad and Berlin mods specially.
And really liked the looks and play style. But time passed and I remained undecided due to many reasons.
So my question for those who have purchased PitF (or those who havent but can give some advice):
Do you recommend its purchase for someone who never played any CC but really wants to give it a try?
MikeAP

RE: Newcomer to CC needs advise on PitF

Post by MikeAP »

ORIGINAL: Trost

Hello hmm im not very adept to post in forums so ill try to be concise.
For the most part ive played turn based stuff such as Panzer General series, and then Panzercorps until now, with some adventures into real time such as CoH or Men of war, and both of them left me rather dissapointed.
Ive watched lots of gameplay videos from different CC games in youtube, the Stalingrad and Berlin mods specially.
And really liked the looks and play style. But time passed and I remained undecided due to many reasons.
So my question for those who have purchased PitF (or those who havent but can give some advice):
Do you recommend its purchase for someone who never played any CC but really wants to give it a try?

I have played every CC release since A Bridge Too Far. Although I haven't purchased Panthers In The Fog, I will say that you're really missing out if you enjoy the World War Two RTS genre but have never been fortunate enough to play a Close Combat game.

I think you will find it much more authentic than Men of War and Company of Heroes. Although both of those games have some great graphical effects, and features, they are more suited to an arcade-crowd.

Close Combat is much slower paced and has more authentic weapon ranges and engagements.
wodin

Post by wodin »

Both of the CC Stalingrad mods where the best CC games I'd played followed by CC2.
PKH

Post by PKH »

Considering the cost, it's good value for money if you like realistic games. It is a fairly slow game, at least for me, and I'll maybe take one or two victory locations per 20 minute battle, or even just extend my zone of control a bit.
It is frustrating at times, especially tank pathing can be problematic, and you'll probably loose tanks because of it.
Manu

Post by Manu »

ORIGINAL: wodin

Both of the CC Stalingrad mods where the best CC games I'd played followed by CC2.

thanks, I hope the future adaptation will be as good as the old ones
tyrion22

Post by tyrion22 »

I think Close Combat is less stressful than CoH (you mean Company of Heroes, not Conflict of Heroes, I suppose?) or Men of War, so Close Combat is probably better for someone who likes turn based games. In Close Combat I've always felt I have time to give meaningful orders, while Company of Heroes feels like more of a click fest (although not as much as mainstream RTS games, like Starcraft).
It is well that war is so terrible - otherwise we would grow too fond of it.

Robert E. Lee
xe5

Post by xe5 »

Commanding 21 units (max) in PITF, as opposed to 15 in previous CC versions, can raise the stress level considerably [:)]
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

So 21 units is a first for PitF? I'm surprised they did not point this out in the features list on the products page. For me, it is a good thing. I trust you, xe5 - just want to confirm it. Thanks [:)]
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

ORIGINAL: rosseau

So 21 units is a first for PitF? I'm surprised they did not point this out in the features list on the products page. For me, it is a good thing. I trust you, xe5 - just want to confirm it. Thanks [:)]
Page 12 of game manual:
During a battle you command up to 21 units ranging from teams of infantry to tanks.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Thanks guys. Looks like I'm buying it, then [;)]

Return to “Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog”