Matrix Games Forums

Characters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Deal of the Week: Combat Command Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the FamilyTablet Version of Qvadriga gets new patch
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Needs new game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Needs new game Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Needs new game - 11/20/2012 1:51:57 AM   
rroberson

Love this game. Love it more then I should since it breaks my heart on a regular basis

but I'd like to find a new game that can draw me in the way this one has and has a similar PBEM type set up.

Anything out there?

Post #: 1
RE: Needs new game - 11/20/2012 7:02:14 AM   
Chris H

Try 'War in the East' German v Russia. Land based but also massive although not day turns.

(in reply to rroberson)
Post #: 2
RE: Needs new game - 11/20/2012 11:01:53 AM   
PaxMondo

Just avoid the forums over there.  A lot more acidic than here ... whew. 

We may have our one "Ranting Castor", but they have about 50. And it gets really tiresome after a few minutes.

PS: Castor, no offense. Everyone loves your rants!

< Message edited by PaxMondo -- 11/20/2012 11:04:19 AM >

Pax

(in reply to Chris H)
Post #: 3
RE: Needs new game - 11/20/2012 2:00:23 PM   
fcharton

If you like micromanagement, and accept a non PBEM game (and SF settings), you might like Aurora 4X,

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/

micromanagement heavy, lots of interest in hardware, looong game, nice community, AAR friendly...

Francois

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 4
RE: Needs new game - 11/20/2012 3:26:19 PM   
JocMeister

WITE is a really solid game and I played it daily for over 6 months before I got sick of it. Never tried it in PBEM though.

Only downside is the usual GG weakness when it comes to UI and the almost total lack of air model.

(in reply to fcharton)
Post #: 5
RE: Needs new game - 11/20/2012 4:35:38 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

... and the almost total lack of air model.

Yeah, and I really liked the ability to build aircraft in WIR. Missing that in WITE, so i have never gone there.

Pax

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 6
RE: Needs new game - 11/20/2012 5:15:43 PM   
Empire101

You might want to consider 'Commander-The Great War'.

From a wargaming point of view it is great fun and highly addictive.

Not in the same league as WitP AE or WitE, but I would recommend it if you want a change.

Attachment (1)

Our lives may be more boring than those who lived in apocalyptic times,
but being bored is greatly preferable to being prematurely dead because of some ideological fantasy.
- Michael Burleigh

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 7
RE: Needs new game - 11/20/2012 8:13:29 PM   
JocMeister

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo
Yeah, and I really liked the ability to build aircraft in WIR. Missing that in WITE, so i have never gone there.

They are basing the completely new airmodel for WITW on EDtBR! Can´t be bad news!

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 8
RE: Needs new game - 11/20/2012 8:43:01 PM   
rroberson

Thanks guys I will give them all looks.

I looked at WITE but heard such bad things (from the forums) that it made me back off the purchase and look towards the forthcoming WITW.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 9
RE: Needs new game - 11/20/2012 8:48:44 PM   
JocMeister

I would actually skip WITE and wait for WITW too if I where you!

(in reply to rroberson)
Post #: 10
RE: Needs new game - 11/20/2012 11:27:41 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: rroberson

Thanks guys I will give them all looks.

I looked at WITE but heard such bad things (from the forums) that it made me back off the purchase and look towards the forthcoming WITW.

Not that bad The AFBs (aka Axis Fanboys) cried, ranted a lot --and I mean a lot-- that's all. And looks like they got what they always wanted (as the Cold War guys they are): the Red Army hardly gets to Berlin unless you play vs Charly The Clown...

I still play the Soviet side (PBEM) and it's a lot of fun. Although this will be my last game vs a human, at least until getting to Berlin will be the normal thing to do. Or if you prefer, not an impossible task, as it is now.

You should consider the AGEOD series. These games are sort of Spartan (graphics) but truly deep, intelligent. The best strategic games. After WitP AE that is

1) American Civil War
2) Rise of Prussia
3) Revolution under Siege (aka 1917 Russian Revolution and then Civil War)

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 11/20/2012 11:32:32 PM >

"Hang on, is that it...? Are we on the ring...?? Ready???" -- Nürburgring Seven Second Ring King

(in reply to rroberson)
Post #: 11
RE: Needs new game - 11/21/2012 1:10:24 AM   
bradfordkay

If you never played Bombing the Reich, then you might enjoy the updated version Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich.

When Uncommon Valor was announced I was deeply into BotR and pictured UV as being a naval version thereof. It suffers from the classic Grigsby confusing UI, but you're used to that by now...

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 12
RE: Needs new game - 11/21/2012 5:58:57 AM   
Capt Cliff

WitE should have been a WEGO system using the WitP engine. IMHO

Capt. Cliff

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 13
RE: Needs new game - 11/21/2012 7:11:13 AM   
LoBaron

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

If you never played Bombing the Reich, then you might enjoy the updated version Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich.

When Uncommon Valor was announced I was deeply into BotR and pictured UV as being a naval version thereof. It suffers from the classic Grigsby confusing UI, but you're used to that by now...

I was to suggest BtR. I played the Talonsoft predecessor for about 5 years, don´t remember the exact
name...think it was Battle of Britain but could be wrong. Great game. If I had time for another game
like WitP AE, this is what I woudld try.

S**t happens in war.

All hail the superior ones!

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 14
RE: Needs new game - 11/21/2012 2:26:43 PM   
The Gnome

I'm still looking for a Steel Panthers replacement or computerized Squad Leader. I love strategic games, but I also love the close up tactical level ones too, maybe even more.

There have been a number of continuous time tactical games, but I'm pretty much married to turn based.

As to not totally hijack the thread, there is another Xcom game that is tactical turn based, if you're into that sort of thing. It's over priced for what it is, but I had fun playing through the campaign.

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 15
RE: Needs new game - 11/21/2012 3:13:43 PM   
Empire101

quote:

ORIGINAL: LoBaron

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

I was to suggest BtR. I played the Talonsoft predecessor for about 5 years, don´t remember the exact
name...think it was Battle of Britain but could be wrong. Great game. If I had time for another game
like WitP AE, this is what I woudld try.

I had the Granddaddy of BtR, GG's USAAF on the good old C<64.Fantastic!!!

I've got BtR, but it sits forlornly on my shelf still in its shrinkwrap as AE, CTGW, and Guns of August are taking up all my spare time

I will have to get it out and try it as USAAF was brilliant.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Empire101 -- 11/21/2012 3:33:44 PM >

Our lives may be more boring than those who lived in apocalyptic times,
but being bored is greatly preferable to being prematurely dead because of some ideological fantasy.
- Michael Burleigh

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 16
RE: Needs new game - 11/21/2012 7:53:06 PM   
Capt Cliff

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Gnome

I'm still looking for a Steel Panthers replacement or computerized Squad Leader. I love strategic games, but I also love the close up tactical level ones too, maybe even more.

There have been a number of continuous time tactical games, but I'm pretty much married to turn based.

As to not totally hijack the thread, there is another Xcom game that is tactical turn based, if you're into that sort of thing. It's over priced for what it is, but I had fun playing through the campaign.

Have you tried Combat Mission? Not the new one but the old one CM Afrika Korp. You can get it for $20 or less. I used to play Squad Leader (chit game) and Steel Panthers and CM beats them both. Stay away from CM Beyond Normandy, it's too crude. Barbarossa to Berlin will do. The new CM uses the Shock force system and I think they screwed the pooch on it.

Capt. Cliff

(in reply to The Gnome)
Post #: 17
RE: Needs new game - 11/21/2012 10:55:22 PM   
The Gnome

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt Cliff

quote:

Have you tried Combat Mission? Not the new one but the old one CM Afrika Korp. You can get it for $20 or less. I used to play Squad Leader (chit game) and Steel Panthers and CM beats them both. Stay away from CM Beyond Normandy, it's too crude. Barbarossa to Berlin will do. The new CM uses the Shock force system and I think they screwed the pooch on it.

I hadn't tried it, isn't that a continuous time engine, or is it turn based? I'll take a look at it this weekend, I'm really looking forward to a new game, thanks for the recommendation!

(in reply to Capt Cliff)
Post #: 18
RE: Needs new game - 11/22/2012 12:33:43 AM   
gradenko_2000

Combat Mission is turn-based WEGO. You give orders to your troops, end your turn, and then both sides try to carry out their orders simultaneously as a 5 minute slice of time is played out. After the 5 minutes, there's another round of issuing orders.

(in reply to The Gnome)
Post #: 19
RE: Needs new game - 11/22/2012 12:38:45 AM   
wdolson

quote:

Real time games are the craze these days, but they make me twitchy, which is far from relaxing. I'm more of a strategy person than tactical, though I did love Squad Leader back in the day. I bought all the AH modules for ASL back when. It's a tactical level game with a more strategic engine (turn based).

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to The Gnome)
Post #: 20
RE: Needs new game - 11/22/2012 1:55:47 AM   
bradfordkay

The first two Combat Mission games, Beyond Overlord and Barbarossa to Berlin, were WEGO turn based with one minute of game play in the turn resolution. The really cool part is that you can rewatch the turn video multiple times from different viewpoints, so that you can zoom in on the crucial units. I haven't picked up the North Africa version yet - maybe that will be my Christmas purchase this year (if it is still available).

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 21
RE: Needs new game - 11/22/2012 1:57:17 AM   
rroberson

quote:

quote:

OH yeah. Played all the combat missions. But that's really more of an offline game (I have both of the new ones as well...spent a lot of hours in Italy.). Thanks though.

(in reply to Capt Cliff)
Post #: 22
RE: Needs new game - 11/22/2012 2:12:32 AM   
gradenko_2000

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson
Real time games are the craze these days, but they make me twitchy, which is far from relaxing. I'm more of a strategy person than tactical, though I did love Squad Leader back in the day. I bought all the AH modules for ASL back when. It's a tactical level game with a more strategic engine (turn based).

Bill

Not all real-time games are in the mold of Starcraft 2 where every second counts and hand-eye coordination is as important as anything else: You've got games like Close Combat or Command Ops where the pace is very sedate and real-time is just a representation, not a gameplay tool. Some games you can even pause to give orders. I think RUSE and Wargame European Escalation are just straddling the border-line between twitch-based RTS and still-lets-you-think RTS.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 23
RE: Needs new game - 11/22/2012 2:22:26 AM   
wdolson

The Empire series allows you to adjust the play speed, which is a help. I played a couple of the early Close Combat games and they still made me a bit twitchy.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to gradenko_2000)
Post #: 24
RE: Needs new game - 11/23/2012 5:05:16 AM   
The Gnome

quote:

The Empire series allows you to adjust the play speed, which is a help. I played a couple of the early Close Combat games and they still made me a bit twitchy.

Bill

Bill, I think that's the exact feeling continuous, or real time games give me: twitchy. I start to feel stress like I'm on the job, and I already have two of those - no mas!

I tried to get into the Hearts of Iron series, and enjoyed it to a certain level, but I think the continuous time aspect (as well as the complete lack of reality) really put me off.

From what everyone wrote about Combat Mission, that really seems like something I'd be interested in.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 25
RE: Needs new game - 11/23/2012 8:05:47 AM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: rroberson

Don't believe everything what you read from various posters on the forum...

Joking aside - the WitE is really great game, it is still being worked on, and it gives players something that wasn't really available for long long long time (i.e. "remember old Gar Grigsby's "War in Russia")!

Please note it is 1st in the series (consider it "UV" = "Uncommon Valor" - thus remember that the UV is almost 10 years younger than WitP:AE)...

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to rroberson)
Post #: 26
RE: Needs new game - 11/23/2012 8:11:27 AM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

WitE should have been a WEGO system using the WitP engine. IMHO

When I joined WitE ALPHA almost 4 years ago this was the first question I asked Joel and Gary - the answer they gave me is still valid - it would be impossible to make WEGO WitE with weekly turn - there are simply too many counters on map... thsi is not UV/WitP/WitP-AE where land combat is abstracted (and sideshow actually)... also it would not be as much fun / rewarding for player (i.e. it would take hours and hours for move plotting and fixing cross-pathing would be nightmare for every player) - the IGYG in WitE enables that quite good IMHO!

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to Capt Cliff)
Post #: 27
RE: Needs new game - 11/23/2012 9:06:05 AM   
janh

quote:

ORIGINAL: Apollo11
Hi all,

When I joined WitE ALPHA almost 4 years ago this was the first question I asked Joel and Gary - the answer they gave me is still valid - it would be impossible to make WEGO WitE with weekly turn - there are simply too many counters on map... thsi is not UV/WitP/WitP-AE where land combat is abstracted (and sideshow actually)... also it would not be as much fun / rewarding for player (i.e. it would take hours and hours for move plotting and fixing cross-pathing would be nightmare for every player) - the IGYG in WitE enables that quite good IMHO!

Leo "Apollo11"

That's probably right on the mark, Leo, but personally there is nothing as exciting as watching turn resolutions in a war game in WEGO. This kind of separation of planning and plotting, and then seeing your plans unfold without having a chance to interfere, adds a lot to the addicting nature for me. Really too bad it makes so little sense to do the same for WiTE. Would be great if Gary came up with a solution to bring back the same to the WitE series.

As for WiTE I can recommend that one to everyone. It is not perfect yet, certainly, but it detailed, in most aspects well-thought through, and it will hook you once you started. Maybe it will not bind you as AE will, but these two game are two different leagues and were designed to be so. AE requires much more time than WiTE, but time with WitE is fun as well. As for the forums, it has gotten a lot better. Occasionally even some interesting discussions pop up.

There is one more game, or series of games, I have been watching and am thinking of buying in: The Scourge of War series, Gettysburg, Antietam, Pipecreek and lately Chancellorsville. The devs of this series are all civil war cracks, and dedicated to detail and historical realism. And as it seems, they continuously patch, extend and support their community (just as the guys here do for AE). Might be I have my Christmas present already right there...

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 28
RE: Needs new game - 11/23/2012 7:28:51 PM   
rroberson

quote:

quote:

Bill

Bill, I think that's the exact feeling continuous, or real time games give me: twitchy. I start to feel stress like I'm on the job, and I already have two of those - no mas!

I tried to get into the Hearts of Iron series, and enjoyed it to a certain level, but I think the continuous time aspect (as well as the complete lack of reality) really put me off.

From what everyone wrote about Combat Mission, that really seems like something I'd be interested in.

I actually tried Hearts of Iron 3 once again (which is what prompted this thread) I just struggle to enjoy it or really understand it.

(in reply to The Gnome)
Post #: 29
RE: Needs new game - 11/25/2012 6:11:43 AM   
sanch

I've really enjoyed the Europa Universalis series from Paradox (the HOI3 guys). Imho, one of the best. Not only that, it's a terrific history and geography lesson. The downside, though, is a solid learning curve you would need to get through.

(in reply to rroberson)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Needs new game Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI