Matrix Games Forums

Pandora: Eclipse of Nashira Announced! Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer Corps
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

1.03 Event Comments for 1939 Campaign

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Time of Fury >> 1.03 Event Comments for 1939 Campaign Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
1.03 Event Comments for 1939 Campaign - 11/19/2012 11:28:04 PM   
Omnius

I've played through 85 turns of the 1939 Grand Campaign as every country and have some comments regarding events. For the most part the events are rather excellent, a few I could definitely live without and a few that could be better.

In the 1.02 version I saw the German AI conquer Norway regularly, with no units involved to boot. In 1.03 I noticed that changed. The German AI dutifully declared war on Norway but didn't get it's conquest as I'd seen before, the Norway units stood their ground. I always thought that man if I play Britain against a German AI I'll just have my AIP's loaded with two British infantry divisions and be ready to send them in to counter invade Narvik and Oslo before the German AI garrisons those cities. I waited until after taking down France before invading Norway. I ended up using infantry corps for both invasion sites. I did notice that at Narvik with Fog of War on I couldn't do a prepatory bombardment before attacking the infantry division defending there at full strength. I had plenty of tactical bombers and fighters to aid the Oslo attack. I was able to take both cities and Norway but am doubtful the German AI could. I saw the Crete event and thought wow what a perfect solution for the German AI, give it an event that puts boots on the ground at Narvik and Oslo and that costs Germany production points. If the German AI isn't going to actually do the Norway invasion then don't let it declare war on Norway and take an unnecessary War Economy hit.

The other early event that I didn't see was an event for Finland's surrender of territory. I played both the USSR and Finland and didn't get an event that ended the Russo-Finnish War. It ended when I conquered Finland in late May or early June of 1940. I did see that event work perfectly in Strategic
War in Europe so know it can be done. One of the things I noticed when the AI is playing both USSR and Finland is how pathetically pitiful the Soviet AI is at getting busy with Finland. The Finnish AI always gets off to attacking and taking Mga and near to Volhov east of Leningrad before teh Soviet AI wakes up to doing war with Finland in that area. The Soviet AI gets after Petsamo early, but very poorly. I've watched many games of the AI's playing in 1.02 and it's always the same old song and dance around Finland. Where's the event that ends the Russo-Finnish war at the end of March 1940 that emulates history? That's what's really needed.

I saw some comments on the forum about how good the Soviet AI is and now that I understand how the game works I can only laugh. It's because the Soviet AI is so pathetic at conquering Finland that it prolongs being at war thus it's War Economy keeps going up until Germany attacks. At that time the Soviet War Economy is seriously inflated above the historical level and that inflated WE allows the Soviet AI to puke out units like crazy. That's why it looks good, not because it is smart. In my game I was able to conquer Finland despite defending it well in late May or early June of 1940 and thus the Soviet War Economy level dropped each month until it is at 61 when I DoW it as Germany. I've seen that when the USSR stays at perpetual war with Finland the Soviet WE is over 100 to begin Barbarossa and that puts the German AI or human behind the eightball versus the Soviet AI.

So please make sure there's an event to end the Russo-Finnish war around the historical time it did. The Bessarabia event works rather nicely when both the USSR and Romania answer the questions properly.

The Crete event was a funny event that happened just as I was going to invade Crete as Germany. I was just getting ready to drop two level 1 airborne divisions near Iraklion when that event popped up so I decided to see what 250 PP's bought me. I dropped them adjacent to Iraklion and moved that level 3 infantry division adjacent to set up the attack the following turn. I had plenty of tactical bombers to bombard the defending Greek unit and attacked with the infantry division and one airborne unit to kill the Greek unit and the other one walked into Iraklion. While it was a nice surprise to help me take Iraklion I tend to doubt I needed it. I could have dropped my airborne and then bought an AIP to use an infantry division to do the amphibious invasion. It does look like a good event for helping the AI, or a newbie human, do the trick of conquering Crete. This would be a perfect kind of event for helping the German AI conquer Norway and garrison it right away, unlike before when it got handed Norway without doing any garrisoning of it. Heck it would be nice for human Germany players.

The French event that frees all remaining frozen French units does not work. I had quite a few French units still frozen after that event along the border of Switzerland and Spain.

As Germany I found that I kind of like those Polish partisan events. I was riding rather close to my production point limit with my unit upkeep and started to figure that having my units take the 15% efficiency hit might be good for reducing my upkeepp cost. I'm not sure how the strength is measured for upkeep costing but it seems like efficiency matters. If the strength calculated for upkeep is affected by efficiency then those 15% Polish partisan punishments are my kind of punishment.

Corruption? Really? Et Tu scenario event designer? Kind of funny but definitely annoying. Dang how are we supposed to save up 1,000 PP's to buy nuclear tech investment? Those 10% take aways are frustrating and happen a tad too often for my likes.

I like the conscription event that lets me buy 1 DP for 10 PP's. I wish there was a check box on the screen for the British choice of spending 20 PP for British Colony transports that woud say it won't show me that annoying screen anymore. I found out the hard way that's a fool's errand event and now always just say no. I like the events that increase War Economy. I also like the events that give us units for a very reasonable price.

I really like the events that give us stuff after conquering countries or certain Soviet cities, some nice little prizes tucked away there. I like the events that happen when we hit a new tech level that give us options as to what improvement we want. I'm glad I have a choice as to whether I want Croatia or the Ukraine, I always say no. Wish I could just say no to Slovakia.
Omnius
Post #: 1
Another Fun Event - 11/20/2012 3:35:57 PM   
Omnius

Another event I really like in the 1939 Grand Campaign is the Germany-Spain event that has Germany sending Spain the historical offer to join the Axis alliance. Since I'm playing all countries manually I was able to see both ends of this nifty event. At first I wondered if this event was going to just hand Germany Spain with no cost whatsoever. I was glad to see it gave a 20 point increase in the alliance entry number. That way I was able to then use two German pressure diplomatic actions to get Spain as a full member of the Axis. I also had a panzer corp ready to rail in adjacent to Gibraltar that turn.
Omnius

(in reply to Omnius)
Post #: 2
RE: Another Fun Event - 11/21/2012 4:17:53 PM   
Razz

Norway is fixed in the Third Reich scenario.

I believe there are still some funky thing happening with Finland Russia, but the Third Reich scenario fixes it so the Russians can take Leningrad back.

Crete is by design to happen that way.

The French events works properly. Perhaps the description may have to be checked.

It is intended only to free up the Northern forces.

Corruption, ja, I don't like it either but Germany is not suppose to get the bomb any way.

You can go for it but it will be very expensive. I believe I increased the threshold in the Third Reich.

If you say no to convoys it will cost you more in the as you will get less PP's from the colonies.

The Ukraine event has been beefed up a little to make it more worth while.

It's actually quite fun having Ukraine on your side.

There's allot of other improvement in the Third Reich. You should check it out.

(in reply to Omnius)
Post #: 3
RE: Another Fun Event - 11/30/2012 11:14:45 AM   
demjansk

What is the most realistic campaign to play with the least amount of problems?

(in reply to Razz)
Post #: 4
RE: Another Fun Event - 11/30/2012 6:53:38 PM   
gwgardner

Every one of the campaign scenarios is good. The events are not a problem. Some players don't like the events/consequences of events, but that is simply part of the design of the game.

It would require a mod to get rid of some or all of the events, or to change them.

In the past, I have gone into the event files and edited out certain events, but I haven't done that with the current ToW.

If you didn't like the monetary consequences of an event, you could always use F12 cheat to alter the PP level of a country.

(in reply to demjansk)
Post #: 5
Not Helpful - 12/2/2012 6:22:41 PM   
Omnius

quote:

ORIGINAL: Razz

Norway is fixed in the Third Reich scenario.

I believe there are still some funky thing happening with Finland Russia, but the Third Reich scenario fixes it so the Russians can take Leningrad back.

Crete is by design to happen that way.

The French events works properly. Perhaps the description may have to be checked.

It is intended only to free up the Northern forces.

Corruption, ja, I don't like it either but Germany is not suppose to get the bomb any way.

You can go for it but it will be very expensive. I believe I increased the threshold in the Third Reich.

If you say no to convoys it will cost you more in the as you will get less PP's from the colonies.

The Ukraine event has been beefed up a little to make it more worth while.

It's actually quite fun having Ukraine on your side.

There's allot of other improvement in the Third Reich. You should check it out.

Razz,
Thanks but no thanks on your Third Reich mod. I'll stick to the stock scenarios and make my comments on them and hope that the company fixes some of the obvious problems.

I didn't complain about the Crete event, in fact I mentioned that I liked it and thought it would be a great model for a Norway Quisling event to ensure that a German AI actually puts troops there, which didn't happen in version 1.02 and now it 1.03 Norway doesn't automatically surrender to Germany via some kind of event similar to Denmark willingly surrendering to Germany.

The unfreezing of some French units does not work properly in the 1939 Grand Campaign, I know because I was paying careful attention to the event descriptions and what happened or didn't happen to French units along the Swiss and Spanish borders.

As to the 1939 Soviet/Finnish War I didn't complain about the USSR losing Leningrad, or helping the Soviet AI recapture it, I complained that unlike Strategic War in Europe there is no historical event to handle the Finnish surrender and subsequent "gifting" of Finnish territory to the USSR around the historical time. If this was done in SWiE then it can be done in ToF with the exact same event.

Corruption affects more than Germany, I've seen it affect Germany, the USSR and the USA. Just annoying is all I said. As for researching the atomic bomb I calculate that it causes more harm to the country who oays to research it than the allaince that gets bombed by it. After doing a test in the 1944 scenario to see what getting it did I think the approximately 2,900-3,000 PP's spent to get one bomb. I had thought that after the research was done I'd see a new item to build in the other tab but didn't. Actually best not to have them anyway, at least not in Europe.

The Ukraine, or Croatia question is one of personal preference, I would much rather have PP's for Germany than more PP's for each separate country. Besides as long as they're German home country Germany can't be defeated until the Ukraine or Croatia is also and by not accepting those two tiny countries some enemy can't "conquer" them easily and make them their home country. Plus that's two less countries to have to play or shudder the thought allow the Artificial Ignorance play.
Omnius

(in reply to Razz)
Post #: 6
Could be Better - 12/2/2012 6:33:09 PM   
Omnius

quote:

ORIGINAL: gwgardner

Every one of the campaign scenarios is good. The events are not a problem. Some players don't like the events/consequences of events, but that is simply part of the design of the game.

It would require a mod to get rid of some or all of the events, or to change them.

In the past, I have gone into the event files and edited out certain events, but I haven't done that with the current ToW.

If you didn't like the monetary consequences of an event, you could always use F12 cheat to alter the PP level of a country.

gwgardener,
I beg to differ that some events aren't a problem. Some events aren't working properly or are missing. What happened between 1.02 and 1.03 in teh 1939 Grand Campaign scenario where Germany no longer conquers Norway automatically? In 1.02 that was always happening, now it's not happening at all. Not all French units get unfrozen when the event that says they are happens. There's no event like in Strategic War in Europe that ends the Soviet/Finnish War at the proper historical time, the end of March 1940. This forces the war to continue until Finland surrenders or the Soviet player gets to cheat up his War Economy by prolonging that war untiul Germany attacks. This "cheat" is what makes the Soviet AI in the 1939 scenario seem good, when all it is is merely pumped up on WE steroids.

The company should make sure that when there are errors in the scenrio design that they fix them, we shouldn't be expected to have to fix them ourselves.

By the way where are the event files located? I'd love to be able to edit them in case I want to fix some of the little errors or make an event like the one I see in SWiE for Finland that is missing in ToF or the Norway Quisling event that needs to be done to help a German AI or even human player get ashore there.

Thanks for letting me know about that F12 PP cheat. Actually I just set all the countries to very easy and play every country.

If you did notice I did say I liked some of the events.
Omnius

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Time of Fury >> 1.03 Event Comments for 1939 Campaign Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI