Fog Question

Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog is the first new release (not a re-make of a previous games) in years in the critically acclaimed Close Combat series. It details the desperate German counter-attack at Mortain, the last chance of the Wehrmacht to stave off defeat in Normandy. Can you match the tenacity of the American defenders of Hill 314? Or can you succeed where the Panzers failed, driving through to the sea and changing history? Improved 32-bit graphics and the ability to control more squads than ever bring the Close Combat engine to a new level.
Bison36

Fog Question

Post by Bison36 »

Just looking at some of the screen shots and initial videos of gameplay, I wonder if the fog isn't a distractor. Is the fog an option that can be toggled on/off?
SteveMcClaire

RE: Fog Question

Post by SteveMcClaire »

The fog effect cannot be turned off, but that's something we can consider as a new setting if a lot of people wanted it. That said, I don't think it's too distracting, and it wasn't something our beta testers commented on as an issue.
Bison36

Post by Bison36 »

Thanks Steve. I'll have to see it in game to see how it effects the gameplay.
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

I vote for an option to switch it off.

I honestly couldn't play it with that effect on. I guess the game could then be called Panthers - but that fog effect really made my eyes water. It was like someone had put cling film on my eyes.
Alba gu' brath
boatrigm

Post by boatrigm »

I switch to turn it off would be nice. At first I thought my graphics card was having issues. [:)]

-Mike
amps63

Post by amps63 »

I vote for the ability to turn it off and on.
Bison36

Post by Bison36 »

Well I've played the first battle a couple of times now to experience the fog. It's cool for the first moments of the battle but I'm not sure it adds an element to the atmosphere that makes the game better. Honestly it made seeing the units on the map harder. Perhaps if the NATO symbol cut through the layer it would help. Honestly I ended up doing my movements on the zoomed out map just because it was easier to pick the units. I'm not trying to be overly critical here because the maps in full color without the fog are beautiful and very well done.
blastpop

Post by blastpop »

I think I will wait to buy the game until there is an option to turn off the fog effects. From the screenie on the games page it looks to me to be too annoying.
Mark
LitFuel

Post by LitFuel »

Watched a video and saw the screen shots...have to agree it just seems annoying and hampers game play without serving any real purpose other than what I just said.lol. Need a off toggle. As the player I don't need to see the fog...let's just say it's there and go with that. Why improve the graphics only to fog them up on occasion?
bairdlander2

Post by bairdlander2 »

Saw the screenshots,fog effect is terrible.As for the other screens I dont see much improvment.DD for $42 seems a bit high for this game.I will wait and see the concensus from this forum.
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

Looking at all these comments makes me feel a bit for the devs - so thanks Steve - I see what you were trying to do and appreciate your efforts - but I wouldn't be able to play with that on - so if you get an option in I'd be more inclined to make a purchase
Alba gu' brath
Bison36

Post by Bison36 »

I've played about 8 more battles in an operational campaign game. 2 were fog battles and it didn't bother me as much. You do get used to it so it's not a negative in that it's a game breaker. So I guess I can see how the beta team didn't really see it as an issue if they played a lot of battles with the fog layer active. I do wish that friendly units were easier to pick out on the map in a fog game; that is my quibble with the fog. I like the effect on enemy units actually. However I think a toggle on/off is still something that should be considered as realism option during the setup.
Durcham

Post by Durcham »

I have an idea! If the fog is made out from a image, could we change the alpha value for that image? That way we could decide what fog transparency player would like to use.
Manu

Post by Manu »

Don't forget the fog is not only a graphic feature but also changes the visibility of the troops and the airstrikes availability.
z1812

Post by z1812 »

The fog will be an issue with my eyesight as well. I suspect there are quite a few older players and ones with vision problems. Why not have a toggle for fog?
Southern Hunter

Post by Southern Hunter »

I found it a bit distracting at first but you get used to it. I don't think the fog effect has been done particularly well on the whole.
tyrion22

Post by tyrion22 »

Please give us the option to toggle fog on/off. I just bought and tried the game, and to me, it's just very distracting. I would very much prefer to play without it.
It is well that war is so terrible - otherwise we would grow too fond of it.

Robert E. Lee
viperdave

Post by viperdave »

ditto on the fog. i dont like it. when you get older your eyes start going and its hard enough to see the troops as it is without he fog there. i like a clean crisp picture.
dave
MikeGER

Post by MikeGER »

... there is a little 'work-around' [;)] -> Zoom Out

until an option gets available in a patch.
A 'fog density display' slider would be good with a: No, Light, Medium, Dense(=actual) fog setting
and wasn't the night maps 'darker' in LSA ? (maybe an option slider for 'darkness' too)

i am finding myself spending more time directing the battle from Zoomed-out mode then Zoomed-in regardless of environment conditions, switching often to the hot spots at different places on the map of course, then watching the battle unfold at Zoomed out again...
helm123456789

Post by helm123456789 »

Have to agree about the fog. It's a neat idea but really rough on the eyes. I have Keratoconus (KC) and the small graphics are one thing that's tough enough on these eyes by themselves. Add in the blur caused by the fog and it's really tough to see. Doing this just from screen shots and videos that have been posted. Will wait to see if a option for it is added.

Return to “Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog”