Matrix Games Forums

Hell is Approaching Deal of the Week Battle Academy Battle Academy 2 Out now!Legions of Steel ready for betaBattle Academy 2 gets trailers and Steam page!Deal of the Week Germany at WarSlitherine Group acquires Shenandoah StudioNew information and screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Entente AAR from 1st game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Commander - The Great War >> After Action Reports >> Entente AAR from 1st game Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Entente AAR from 1st game - 11/19/2012 12:43:40 AM   
catwhoorg

Not a detailed AAR but a jot down on notes from my first game as the Entente, on balanced AI.

Balkans

Serbia - after initial losses front stabilizes along the Cetinje-Nis line, with the help of a couple of British Garrisons.
AH fleet was sunk, though I lost the French fleet doing so. After Bulgarian Entry, fall back in good order to Cetinje-Skopje.
Portuguese inf are shipped in (and the British garrisons disbanded for cost reasons).
Later kept rotating a couple of units (Portuguese-inf and Italian - Garrison) in transports the threaten Split, which kept the CP distracted.

Romania was a wipeout - probably cost me more by being an ally than staying neutral.
They never were knocked out, although they got compressed to just around Bucharest

Russia - looks great for a while, then in 2-3 turns looks nasty, then stable again. Very fluid front. Ended up defending the line
Riga- Vilna- Minsk above the Marshes. Vinnytsi was the center of action until Romanian entry, then was flanked.
Lost Kiev and Gomel to an attack, that was eventually cutoff and they were recaptured.
With the help of the British sub, the Baltic fleet stopped the convoy everytime.

Caucasus - something about this theater causes me to do silly things. Batumi and Tiflis both at one point fall, but are recaptured.
Arikamish is recaptured as the Turks succumb to pressure in the South and try to pull a couple of units out.

Egypt - build 3 inf (+arty +fighter) and held fast at the frontier whilst grinding down the Turks.
Actually built and later disbanded a couple of armoured cars hoping to exploit any breakthrough.
With a little softening up, two British inf routine grind casualties on any Turk. They rotate units into this grinder.
Basically a total attrition war, that eventually seems to break them. Palestine fell in 1917, and the British started pushing North.
The Turks were obviously flooding the front with units, but they were lower effectiveness ones, that couldn't survive contact with the 'elite Brits' (one advantage of producing them early in the war)

The arab revolt really did nothing, but divert some units. One unit went to Riyadh, met a turkish inf, and died quickly. The rest were killed around Medina.

Italian Front - fall back to a line Venice-(1 hex South of Trento).
Manned with regular inf, with some garrisons as backup to rotate in if the front line gets pounded.
Take a pot-shots here and there when the chance arises.
The Italians, build a couple of bombers, plus the airship, and do strategic bombing, focusing on the AH economy.
As soon as things got dicey on other fronts, switched to a general offensive, and made good progress.

The Western front. The Schliffen plan, obviously is a plan of speed.
I countered by flooding North West France with garrisons, trading the conscript blood to slow the advance.
Belgium fell on schedule (Antwerp by turn 3) and Calais was nearly cutoff. The BEF saved Calais, and led the counter back into Belgium.
The front seemed to fall more or less along historical lines in 1914-1915. Both sides would focus attacks on any kinks in the line, and Verdun was meat grinder for both sides.
The German High seas fleet, was committed piecemeal, and though they did extensive damage to the Grand Fleet, they lost their strength entirely.
German subs only really started after convoys in 1917, too little too late

The BEF pushed on well in Belgium, recapturing Antwerp early in 1916, and Brussels later that year.
The Belgian army (reborn) of 2 (later 3) inf was a huge help in attrition battles, taking some of the losses that would have put Britain in dire danger.
Air superiority was won eventually, with 2 British fighters and 2 French ones, plus some bomber units, used tactically not strategically.
The German airforce nearly won the air war though, one fighter more or less on either side could have seen a very different results

With slow pressure, the CP lost ground in 1917, and the Ruhr was threatened early in 1918.
Taking that was a tough nut, but my tanks did so with extensive air support, after that it was a feeling of game over and clean-up.

Germany surrendered in Jul 1918, AH in August. Turkey held out another couple of turns, but the Russians comign through the Caucasus front caused their collapse.

Despite the win, it was close. had I not got air superiority in the West, had another convoy or two not made it, the final picture would have been very different.
Britain finished with a morale of just 8%. Mostly from financial issues when I misjudged a convoy. That was close. I doubt the Frenchies could have closed the deal in the West alone.

Couple of feedback points:

AN UNDO MOVE BUTTON, please... :)

The AI seemed to send the fleet units in a bit piecemeal. By being defeated, that really opened up the Baltic for the Russian fleet to destroy the convoys.
A fleet in being is a significant threat, and maybe worth a tweak in the aggressiveness
Post #: 1
RE: Entente AAR from 1st game - 11/19/2012 8:47:01 AM   
Myrddraal

quote:

Britain finished with a morale of just 8%.

That is what I'd call down to the wire...

(in reply to catwhoorg)
Post #: 2
RE: Entente AAR from 1st game - 11/19/2012 1:50:55 PM   
catwhoorg

2nd run through was a little easier.

Egypt got very messy, but JUST held, then the Turks had spent so much effort they crumbled to the counter-attack.

Russia held firm, basically at the borders. The Italians played more aggressively, and actually drove over the alps.

Western front was tough, after the initial attacks, but again throwing a bunch on French conscripts into NW France blunted the Schliffen plan.

Won in Dec 1916, with Bulgaria the last to fall.

(in reply to Myrddraal)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Commander - The Great War >> After Action Reports >> Entente AAR from 1st game Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI