Matrix Games Forums

Pandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!To End All Wars: Artillery Battle Academy 2: Eastern Front - End of Early Access Space Program Manager unveils its multiplayer modes
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

help me jesus

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> help me jesus Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
help me jesus - 11/18/2012 7:23:25 PM   
Cruis.In

Hey guys, playing a game on hard, 250 stars, restless expansion most other stuff normal, no victory conditions.

Fighting an on and off war with Zenox Technocracy for the whole game which I started because they 'claimed' a system under my nose which had luxury resources. Suffice to say I am holding my own. But I have noticed their ships are quite hard to kill.

They are using these blue projectiles like, kinda like a maxos blaster but only blue, and they are longer in length and slightly fatter when fired, I don't know what they are using or how to find out. How can I find out these things? But also could you tell me what weapon that is they are using? It seems to melt my shields, my suspicioun is some form of rail gun. But it seems to have quite a long range than what I see rail guns have.

And on the other hand I researched up to Phasers, and my phasers miss like 60 percent of the time or more...any, I put fleet targeting on all my ships in the fleet and it didn't seem to help the accuracy, so I have left them out on my new fleet and gone with concussion missiles and velocity shards which I have also upgraded.

Damn but this war is hard......my outlying colonies don't stand a chance, I am reclaiming them now and gonna put death star type defense bases on each of them.

I've got 3m in the bank and about 250k cash flow and about hehe 100 ships. Two offensive fleets and 3 home defense fleets.
Post #: 1
RE: help me jesus - 11/18/2012 7:28:08 PM   
WiZz

It seems, that Zenox uses Titan beam - the pinnacle of beam weapon evolution. Just make crash researches of beam weapon.

< Message edited by WiZz -- 11/18/2012 7:30:54 PM >

(in reply to Cruis.In)
Post #: 2
RE: help me jesus - 11/18/2012 7:30:08 PM   
Cruis.In

any other advice

i dont know who could coordinate a war inthis game and play with most automation off.. i have about 3 off. I guess they turn on and off accordingly, the AI needs to stop building mining bases far outside my sphere of influence tho thats I turned off build automation....hope that gets fixed.

(in reply to WiZz)
Post #: 3
RE: help me jesus - 11/18/2012 9:09:53 PM   
Darkspire

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cruis.In

any other advice

i dont know who could coordinate a war inthis game and play with most automation off.. i have about 3 off. I guess they turn on and off accordingly, the AI needs to stop building mining bases far outside my sphere of influence tho thats I turned off build automation....hope that gets fixed.

Thats easy enough to do and you can still leave automation on, seperate issue but its worth leaving the automation on as there is not a list of damaged ships or bases, the AI will send ships off to fix things, I can never remember where things are amidst all the other messages. Anyway on with the info, go to the exploration planner and select galaxy resources, not the resources needed by your empire, (depends on where in the game you are but ive found using the galaxy one shows all the resources found by your scout ships, not just the ones you need). If you now click on the distance you can sort the list starting with the closest resources, when you click on the name of the place where the resource is the mini map to the right of the screen will show where it is, if its where you feel is a good place just assign the nearest constructor to build there, as long as you keep at least 10+ jobs queued for the constructors they wont go off and build where they should not.
On the main screen, in the quick list, if you look at the constructor list you can see how many jobs a constructor has queued and if you move your mouse over the name in that list it will show where they are, so if they are getting low on jobs you can work the exploration planner resource locations with the relevant ship with a little juggling.

Darkspire

Darkspires's File Repository

Dual Core E4500 2.20GHz - GeForce 8800GT (1gb) - XP 32bit 4gb with a 3gb twist and a shaking of PAE

(in reply to Cruis.In)
Post #: 4
RE: help me jesus - 11/18/2012 9:23:41 PM   
Cruis.In

whats the difference between gas mining station and mining station, the galactopedia doesnt say, where should I put which.

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 5
RE: help me jesus - 11/18/2012 9:25:09 PM   
Cruis.In

i havent found how to queue, if i set a new job it just goes to that one instead of completing the one it is on its way too.

(in reply to Cruis.In)
Post #: 6
RE: help me jesus - 11/18/2012 10:02:27 PM   
Darkspire

quote:

whats the difference between gas mining station and mining station, the galactopedia doesnt say, where should I put which.

Gas Mining station on gas giants (fuel) and mining station on planets and asteroids.

quote:

i havent found how to queue, if i set a new job it just goes to that one instead of completing the one it is on its way too.

With no disrepect your not reading what I wrote, you are selecting the place to mine from the main screen, dont, or you will end up with that problem unless you queue each job from the right hand button context menu. It is a real chore doing it like that. Use the exploration planner, you can queue jobs from there for the constructors.

Darkspire

Dual Core E4500 2.20GHz - GeForce 8800GT (1gb) - XP 32bit 4gb with a 3gb twist and a shaking of PAE

(in reply to Cruis.In)
Post #: 7
RE: help me jesus - 11/19/2012 2:11:52 AM   
Cruis.In

thanks for the help, it still is a little clunky and I have to fight it.

Another question, I realize I am low on carbon fibre I have two planets with it. It seems that carbon fibre is needed to build EVERYTHING i need, my engines, missiles, fighter bays, practically every component my ships need. Right now I've got none, or its not mining very fast. My original home planet has some and a new colony I have has some thats far away, trying to get a SP up and running now hopefully that increase the speed by which the Carbon is available through out the empire. The resources thing says the galaxy only has 19,5k left. What happens when the galaxy runs out of it? I can't build anymore ships? Etc? And I am stuck with my current fleets?

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 8
RE: help me jesus - 11/19/2012 6:04:35 AM   
Darkspire

quote:

thanks for the help, it still is a little clunky and I have to fight it.

Another question, I realize I am low on carbon fibre I have two planets with it. It seems that carbon fibre is needed to build EVERYTHING i need, my engines, missiles, fighter bays, practically every component my ships need. Right now I've got none, or its not mining very fast. My original home planet has some and a new colony I have has some thats far away, trying to get a SP up and running now hopefully that increase the speed by which the Carbon is available through out the empire. The resources thing says the galaxy only has 19,5k left. What happens when the galaxy runs out of it? I can't build anymore ships? Etc? And I am stuck with my current fleets?

Carbon fibre is needed for most things at the start of the tech tree, no way around it until you start to move up the tree. If your playing with auto design and suggestions on, check the components on the design screen, that will tell you what uses what.

If you aim to get 10+ scouts going as early as possible you can use the exploration planner to sort for sources of carbon fibre and assign constructors to start mining them.

Dont worry about the galaxy resources, they will increase as more is found. Look it as a shop, sometimes the stock runs out and you have to wait till more comes in. Best thing to do is when you start a game go to the colony screen and check out your homeplanet and the stock levels on it, you will find carbon fibre has a starting level amount dependant on what your difficulty level is, keep an eye on the levels as you build things. Try to delay building SP's till you have 1 or 2 sources, yet again once you move up the tech tree and SP's get upgraded you can build more freely.

Darkspire

(in reply to Cruis.In)
Post #: 9
RE: help me jesus - 11/20/2012 1:37:20 AM   
Cruis.In

i am quite a ways up the tech tree. I guess I didn't check all the individual components, but it just seemed like everything i built uses it.

The galaxy resources means thats how much empires I know have mined? Does that include empires I am not friendly with? Like would I know the total of all the CF mined even though I can't see another empires resources?

Also I thought that galaxy resources meant that that was all the CF available on planets in the entire galaxy. But I see now I was wrong, it is there to be mined, it's just the rate of mining etc....and not that the entire galaxy will run out. Cause then if it did how would one build ships :)

ANything I can do to get my people to mine CF or another resource faster? I think what happened was I had a lot of CF, but about 10 or so starting star ports got destroyed while building. A lesson learned for another game, no SP's unless I can defend them and see them through to completion. No saving/reloading gimmicks for me, but you know sometimes no matter your best plans, crap happens, but I've got to admit this game is my third and I've lost a fair amount of star ports silly, while they were building. So I guess that could have caused my shortage.

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 10
RE: help me jesus - 11/20/2012 1:37:37 AM   
Cruis.In

btw I am really grateful for your help.

(in reply to Cruis.In)
Post #: 11
RE: help me jesus - 11/20/2012 2:00:12 AM   
Cruis.In

somewhere along the line I missed the notice that the great attuk union had blockaded my starport. I contacted them because I been clicking on alot of planets and I realize they have couple planets with carbon fibre. So I see I have a trade sanction on them. I lifted it and they said very well we will stop blockading (my main colony planet I began the game with) that space port. I was like yeh huh huh whatever, cause you were blockading it in theory. When I checked a green fleet of destroyers around my starport.

No notices or reminders, You know that terrible alarm when something happens, ATUK is STILL blockading your space port would have been nice. I thought maybe it was just a friendly fleet refueling, didn't pay attention to the orange circle of the blockade graphic thing. I wonder what effect this has had on my trade and resource acquisition.

Needless to say I am quite mad at them now and I think I have a new target.

Also is it worth to build a custom mining station with like 5 mining engines? I notice even the latest AI designs have only two still. Seems to me if I was hungry for resources (had few planets) i'd maximize the extraction by building few minig stations with lots of mining engines.

K so I clicked on my ships and bases screen, filtered for starports and my starports cargo have roughly 15k average carbon fibre at each starport. With my flag next to it. I see other races flags next to other resources including next to stockpiles of carbon fibre, does this mean that is going to be traded to them? Or what, or it was received from them?

< Message edited by Cruis.In -- 11/20/2012 2:44:00 AM >

(in reply to Cruis.In)
Post #: 12
RE: help me jesus - 11/20/2012 2:48:56 AM   
Cruis.In

my advisors want me to initiate trade sanctions on so many people. Whats the benefit or not, I can't find anything in the manual about why I would want to, or what other information I can access to help me decide.

i dont know where i got all these gizureans from since I am human, but they are 80% of my worlds population and my empire population combined, and they aren't happy with my empire -4. Overall my colonies are Happy (:) + whatever

wheres the deal with more aliens than human etc? I took over a planet. The zenox technocracy is full of these guys. This some sort of migration policy before my wars with them? I am frightened I get a revolt on my main money making colonies. I started shipping them off of my less important colonies, if i start shipping them off my main colonies my empire earnings/taxes will drop to zero as currently two planets with 80% gizureans are providing like 1.1m in revenue.

< Message edited by Cruis.In -- 11/20/2012 4:06:15 AM >

(in reply to Cruis.In)
Post #: 13
RE: help me jesus - 11/20/2012 9:21:45 AM   
Bingeling

Over building is not a good idea as you discovered with the space ports. If you run on harder settings you could not afford them anyways, so maybe that makes the game easier . Until I get filthy rich, I will protect new space ports with some small fleet. Once I am filthy rich I don't care anymore (and they are usually built faster in a mature, rich, empire).

It is not much need to mess with mining station designs. If you itch to do something 3 extractors can be useful.

Blockades are stupid in the game. The Atuuk have a certain low relation to your empire, which makes them want to blockade your port with the rather broken mechanism.

Trade sanctions is something else the AI wants on empires below a certain "like" level. Sanctions will annoy the other empire somewhat, and block trading. Blocking trading is good if you want to mess up an empire with shortages of something you could have traded them, and bad if you need to get something from them.

If you got 15k carbon fiber with your flag on your space ports, you don't have a shortage, but you could have shortages in certain spots. If nothing are build, it is probably something else missing. Building something will make the station reserve the needed resources. If stored amount is lower than reserved amount, you got a shortage on that station, which will block construction of some components. This is perfectly normal trying to build a space port on a new colony, you have to wait for freighters to move in resources.

The resources with foreign flags are resources booked by other empires. A freighter should be on its way to pick them up. (should does not always imply will).

Gizureans are a fast breeding insect race. People migrate, and you will see aliens migrating to your colonies unless you set restrictive population policies. The only time this matters is if you are at war with the empire of the same race as your populations. This will make the people more or less angry depending on each race. Annoyance reduces happiness, as do high taxes. Very unhappy populations start rebellions. As or the gizzies, since they breed fast, they are more prone to arriving as immigrants.

(in reply to Cruis.In)
Post #: 14
RE: help me jesus - 11/20/2012 7:14:36 PM   
Cruis.In

thanks for the help. Should I get rid of the gizzies? I don't know that I am at war with them...my colonies had humans and slukkens now the slukken are no where to be found. Maybe they all migrated to that one planet which revolted and became the slukken empire. The gizzies are -4 unhappy with me but the overall colony is happy. Worry no?

My spaceport has 20k CF and like 21K marked as reserved but I am not building anything, maybe they are keeping it in case I build, and I bloody well should stop trading it. Is there a way to specifiy NOT to trade a particular resource or I have to trade sanction the empire collecting it?

I find there are periods now since I am so mature that I spend quite some time just watching and tinkering now, as I don't need to do much especially since no wars or pirates around. That normal?
btw I am so ashamed I am less of a human being i stayed home to play dw ........shoot me now.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 15
RE: help me jesus - 11/20/2012 7:40:45 PM   
Cruis.In

something that explains these kinds of things in depth without guessing would be good. Suppose that is incoming trade to me from them and not from me to them.

Also when I build a colony, the colony mines resources correct? I don't need to build a mining star base to get the resources do I?

(in reply to Cruis.In)
Post #: 16
RE: help me jesus - 11/20/2012 9:49:24 PM   
Bingeling

Colonies mine by themselves. If you have 20k carbon with your flag, and 21k reserved, you have a 1k shortage.

The 21k reserved could be either your freighters incoming to fetch for other colonies, or that your space port has an endless build queue with 20k carbon required.

The gizzies probably has an empire. Other gizzies live in yours. That the gizz empire dislike you means nothing for your gizzie population. If you are at war with the gizzie empire, though, the colonies with a gizzie population may get a negative happiness modifier (which means you should reduce taxes to keep
happiness at your desired level).

Should you get rid of your gizzies? They pay taxes too. You decide what you want to do.

As for action, I am peaceful by nature, and my game usually end with me just squashing the odd pirate after a while, since no AI empire wants to declare with me just because I got twice their military strength...

(in reply to Cruis.In)
Post #: 17
RE: help me jesus - 11/20/2012 11:11:55 PM   
Cruis.In

oh dear, the red guys are picking on my long time friends. They never asked for a defense pact or protectorate or even said anything to me. I just noticed their space is disappearing and being taken over by red. Red has 16 colonies. Very aggressive. Gotta cut them down to size!

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> help me jesus Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI