Matrix Games Forums

A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!Pike & Shot gets Release Date and Twitch Session!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Suggestions for next patch/expack

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Suggestions for next patch/expack Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Suggestions for next patch/expack - 11/18/2012 12:48:56 AM   
Lonck

1) Make space ports give a bonus to defenders if planet is invaded. Its ridiculous that a 200 fighter space port gets invaded and it can't do anything once troops have landed. And to add insult to injury once the planet is conquered the space port switches allegiance. Troop transports could also have a bonus to attack if it orbits the planet. Or introduce a module that only targets troops and not civilians.

2) Fighter/Bombers. Either make a fighter/bomber unit as the last research in the fighter tree or give us the ability to change the ratio of fighter to bomber for all ships. As I understand it fighters are weaker than bombers. I don't need fighters I already have auto cannons and shields to protect against them.

3) Paradox Interactive has a neat window on the top-right hand corner of screen that displays units that are engaged in battle. You guys can make one to display military ships or basses engaged in battle with enemy ships I'm at war with (not pirates). This window can also display treaties. The same way it does now. Hovering the mouse over it would display the yellow blinking circle we see and double clicking it would go to the system.

4) Intercepting fleets and disrupt their warp with the gravity well projector. Or introduce another module that does that. Its annoying that I have to wait for the fleet to arrive and engage them in my territory or follow them around.

5) In the expansion planer introduce a tab that lets us see the system the planet is located at. I like to sort by system and colonize the entire system.

6) Borders. Whats the point of having borders when military ships enter my territory. I don't want exploration ships getting the ships and ruins. If they want to enter they have to pay a fee or block them from entering. Its annoying that I have ships running around my territory. I was also thinking of building basses to increase influence. Building a base in a nearby system and over time that system joins my empire. Or alternatively give them an influence range (half that of a colony or smaller) and if that influence touches the empire influence that system joins the empire.

< Message edited by Lonck -- 11/18/2012 12:58:18 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Suggestions for next patch/expack - 11/20/2012 1:05:28 AM   
Byeohazard

My suggestion..hopefuly not hard to implement..
Allow us to choose opposing race colors. Ive looked for a way to do this but no dice for moi
Loads of fun though!

currently playing: Panzer Corps
learning Distant Worlds

(in reply to Lonck)
Post #: 2
RE: Suggestions for next patch/expack - 11/20/2012 1:30:59 AM   
Cruis.In

new base ability, hyperdeny and area. so a maurauding fleet can't get behind yur lines without first dealing with that base. introduces the concept of having a border or front line u can defend.

(in reply to Byeohazard)
Post #: 3
RE: Suggestions for next patch/expack - 11/20/2012 2:14:24 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lonck
1) Make space ports give a bonus to defenders if planet is invaded. Its ridiculous that a 200 fighter space port gets invaded and it can't do anything once troops have landed. And to add insult to injury once the planet is conquered the space port switches allegiance. Troop transports could also have a bonus to attack if it orbits the planet. Or introduce a module that only targets troops and not civilians.

They already do give a bonus actually, if you invade a planet without destroying the space port first, the invading troops should take significant damage during the landing. The space port can of course destroy the attacking ships before they get to the planet too.

quote:

2) Fighter/Bombers. Either make a fighter/bomber unit as the last research in the fighter tree or give us the ability to change the ratio of fighter to bomber for all ships. As I understand it fighters are weaker than bombers. I don't need fighters I already have auto cannons and shields to protect against them.

You can already configure your fighter to bomber ratio on each carrier as far as I recall.

quote:

3) Paradox Interactive has a neat window on the top-right hand corner of screen that displays units that are engaged in battle. You guys can make one to display military ships or basses engaged in battle with enemy ships I'm at war with (not pirates). This window can also display treaties. The same way it does now. Hovering the mouse over it would display the yellow blinking circle we see and double clicking it would go to the system.

That could get quite busy, but it's a good suggestion.

quote:

4) Intercepting fleets and disrupt their warp with the gravity well projector. Or introduce another module that does that. Its annoying that I have to wait for the fleet to arrive and engage them in my territory or follow them around.

Not sure I understand the request here? You mean ship-mounted gravity well projectors?

quote:

5) In the expansion planer introduce a tab that lets us see the system the planet is located at. I like to sort by system and colonize the entire system.

Will add to the wish list.

quote:

6) Borders. Whats the point of having borders when military ships enter my territory. I don't want exploration ships getting the ships and ruins. If they want to enter they have to pay a fee or block them from entering. Its annoying that I have ships running around my territory. I was also thinking of building basses to increase influence. Building a base in a nearby system and over time that system joins my empire. Or alternatively give them an influence range (half that of a colony or smaller) and if that influence touches the empire influence that system joins the empire.

A border is just an imaginary line. If you want to defend your border in space and make it impervious, you need to invest in that. A line of space stations is a beginning, but it's definitely a significant expense. We reflected borders and spheres of influence the way we felt they would be in the vast area of space. You can't be everywhere, but with the right sensors and picket stations or ships you should know if someone enters your area of space. At the same time, your focus is on defending systems, not the spaces between them for the most part.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Lonck)
Post #: 4
RE: Suggestions for next patch/expack - 11/20/2012 5:52:33 AM   
Lonck

What I seem to have noticed though is that space ports with fighters don't send their fighters right away they wait till they are really close to launch the fighters giving troop transports plenty of time to land. The fighter/bomber ration needs to be configured for each ship though. That gets quite messy when one builds 50 carriers at a time. Yes I mean gravity well projectors. If I have a fleet of 50 ships all with the GWP attacking a fleet of 58 ships that are incoming they each should target a ship and warp in front of the ship's trajectory and force them out of warp.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 5
RE: Suggestions for next patch/expack - 11/20/2012 11:06:31 PM   
Cruis.In

also is there going to be a new rendering engine? I don't know how to quite explain this. But in DW you seem to zoom in increments, like +3 +6 +9. In stardrive you zoom in floating points 0.1 0.2 as you scroll the mouse wheel. Much smoother and friendlier and cool looking. Would love to see a switch from sprites to models with textures :)

(in reply to Lonck)
Post #: 6
RE: Suggestions for next patch/expack - 11/20/2012 11:09:55 PM   
Cruis.In

erik he means, a base capable of blocking warps. Like hyper deny. SO instead of only hyper DENY, hyper intercept or hyper stop. Soo if an enemy fleet is on a path through that hyper stop sphere, it brings them out of warp. That you wouldnt need a line of starbases as a border. You could distance some hyper intercept bases from each other to form a layer of space where no one can warp through, therefore they have to punch a hole in the area by killing a base. Would help you slow down behind the line raids.

(in reply to Cruis.In)
Post #: 7
RE: Suggestions for next patch/expack - 11/20/2012 11:52:30 PM   
ASHBERY76

Hijack.My remaining niggles.

1.War weariness is a pointless mechanic.It goes the instant you get peace.War,peace and then declare war again exploit ..War weariness recovery slower, ala Paradox games.

2.Reputation has little meaning.Bombard alderaan to glass and six months later the galaxy forgot already.Needs much slower recovery.

3.Diplomacy..
A Subjugated treatied empire should only have one subjugator.
All peace treaties should have a 1 year white peace.
Santions should have a 6 month enforced length.
Diplomats should be used for diplomacy so spamming treaties has a natural delay.
Mining rights should be asked for and not granted.
Tech trading needs to go or be reworked into a treaty and not direct tech trade.

4.Spies.I seem to be able with ease to wipe out most of the A.I fuel economy and steal tech with ease.The A.I is just not active in this part of the game making it feel an exploit.Wake the A.I up so it defends and attacks more.Fiddling with A.I policy settings had no effect.

5.Economy.Looks like this is finally going to get love in Shadow. Much needed.

6.Blockades.Get rif of it.It does nothing but confuse the A.I and my own experience when I see a ring around a planet and no ships anywhere close.Thank god the new policy setting let me disable it.

7.New colonies are too slow to grow into a meaningfull part of your economy.Passenger ships need a massive buff.

< Message edited by ASHBERY76 -- 11/20/2012 11:59:36 PM >

(in reply to Cruis.In)
Post #: 8
RE: Suggestions for next patch/expack - 11/21/2012 2:46:36 AM   
Shark7

Part of the spies issue is that the AI tends not to use them against you unless they loathe your very existance. If you play with a chaotic galaxy relations tend to be worse on first contact and the AI uses spies against you more.

Basically even if they like you they should try to steal your tech. Spy missions really should only stop when you have a MDP.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 9
RE: Suggestions for next patch/expack - 11/21/2012 2:56:38 AM   
Shark7

My list for needed additions:

1. Some diplomacy tweaks. Research agreements (two empires share research costs for a project). Also Non-Agression Pacts where two empires agree not to attack each other for a certain amount of time.

2. Some means of filtering the fleets list. People like me who have lots of fleets understand why I ask for this.

3. War weariness: not only does the recovery need to be slower as mentioned above, the rate at which it accumulates needs some additional modifiers based on several factors: How well you are doing in the war, how disliked the enemy is in your empire, external pressure (decreased trade and trade sanctions). For example, you go to war with the Hated Shakturi, and win battle after battle, then your war weariness would not accumulate as fast as it would if you attack the Ancient Guardians and loose battle after battle.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 10
RE: Suggestions for next patch/expack - 11/21/2012 3:47:44 PM   
Fishers of Men

Some very good points, Shark! I have always said that the diplomacy part of DW needs a complete reworking. It could become a game onto itself, instead of being an exploit for the player.

Old............but very fast

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 11
RE: Suggestions for next patch/expack - 11/21/2012 5:30:09 PM   
Cruis.In

yeh diplomacy needs re-working. I should be able to do more creative things. demand more specifics etc.

(in reply to Fishers of Men)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Suggestions for next patch/expack Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI