Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week Battle Academy Battle Academy 2 Out now!Legions of Steel ready for betaBattle Academy 2 gets trailers and Steam page!Deal of the Week Germany at WarSlitherine Group acquires Shenandoah StudioNew information and screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers required
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Armoured Train observation.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Commander - The Great War >> Armoured Train observation. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Armoured Train observation. - 11/16/2012 3:49:54 PM   
stormbringer3

I have been really been enjoying this game and it's a real challenge playing the Central Powers. I find that The Russian Armoured Trains can just roll in behind your lines and can capture all sorts of cities way away from any front lines. I find it very unrealistic that a Russian train can just roll into Vienna, Berlin, etc. and capture them. Maybe WWI was different but in WWII games the Axis has to convert rail gauges since Axis and Soviet RR's didn't match. If they didn't match in WWI perhaps the Russians should have to control a Central power hex for a number of turns before the trains can use them.
Post #: 1
RE: Armoured Train observation. - 11/16/2012 3:52:23 PM   
Myrddraal

Currently armoured trains get a very heavy movement penalty if moving through hexes controlled by the enemy. They move much, much faster within their own territory. This doesn't only simulate gauge differences, but also the fact that an armoured train can't race through enemy territory at full speed without the certainty of being derailed or ambushed.

Perhaps the movement penalty should be increased?

(in reply to stormbringer3)
Post #: 2
RE: Armoured Train observation. - 11/16/2012 4:09:56 PM   
stormbringer3

Thank you for the quick response. Yes, I think you should increase the movement penalty. I'm having my best start yet vs. the Russians in 1914 but I have this train running around capturing cities behind my lines. It was 1 hex from Vienna so I had to pull a unit from the front to garrison the city. Right now it's sitting in Posen quite aways from the front and I had to move a unit, again from the front, because if I didn't Berlin would fall the next turn.
Thanks again.

(in reply to Myrddraal)
Post #: 3
RE: Armoured Train observation. - 11/16/2012 4:21:11 PM   
Lukas

remember that they are also quite vulnerable. Cut the rails on both ends with a unit and they have no where to escape. Then close in and kill it when its without supply.

Post #: 4
RE: Armoured Train observation. - 11/16/2012 4:30:42 PM   
stormbringer3

Yes that is an excellent tactic. What the drawback IMO is that your forces are so thin already, having to pull troops from the front or create troops to cut off a train is a problem that should only rarely occur. However, if that's the way it is so be it.

(in reply to Lukas)
Post #: 5
RE: Armoured Train observation. - 11/16/2012 4:52:06 PM   
Blubel

Actually, if you can get it out of an city and close both rail lines, you can just watch it die, without taking casualties. You will however need 2 Garrion units.
I played one campaign until the end and the (AI) Russians did never build another one...

Post #: 6
RE: Armoured Train observation. - 11/16/2012 5:11:32 PM   
Iain McNeil

Letting them capture cities is definitely odd so upping the movement penalty in enemy territory seems sensible or even only letting them move to friendly hexes though that may be too limiting.

Iain McNeil
Director
Slitherine Software
Website http://www.slitherine.com

(in reply to Blubel)
Post #: 7
RE: Armoured Train observation. - 11/16/2012 5:25:39 PM   
wodin

Maybe armoured trains at this sort of scale seems abit too tactical..also not sure if you should make i that an armoured train can't capture cities.

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

(in reply to Iain McNeil)
Post #: 8
RE: Armoured Train observation. - 11/16/2012 6:09:24 PM   
Tophat1812

I'd opt for the armoured trains being unable to capture cities myself,it's an infantryman's task not a special units role. Likewise tanks shouldn't be able to capture cities in this time-frame either. Just my 2 cents,haven't bought the game yet but its only a matter of time,probably today in fact.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 9
RE: Armoured Train observation. - 11/16/2012 6:32:10 PM   
Iain McNeil

Yes good point - I guess it represents an army with armoured train support not just the train. Same for tanks - its infantry with tank support as there was no such think as an armoured division.

Iain McNeil
Director
Slitherine Software
Website http://www.slitherine.com

(in reply to Tophat1812)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Commander - The Great War >> Armoured Train observation. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI