Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: August 1944

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: August 1944 Page: <<   < prev  142 143 144 145 [146]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: August 1944 - 5/22/2017 9:30:07 PM   
Lowpe

Yep, I have brought it up a couple of times...it isn't the end of the world IF Japan is cranking out 3-5 Type 3 Medium tanks a turn...which I don't know to be the case, hence my question a few posts back about how many have been made, and how many tank regiments have been upgraded to it.

I gave John tactics to ensure the AI made Type 3 back prior to June when I first raised this problem.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 4351
RE: August 1944 - 5/22/2017 10:43:19 PM   
John 3rd

I've had those vehicles producing the ENTIRE war at that number and only now has it really done this.

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 5/22/2017 10:44:10 PM >

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 4352
RE: August 1944 - 5/23/2017 1:37:51 AM   
Bif1961

You gave him the Biloxi Blues.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 4353
RE: August 1944 - 5/23/2017 1:45:06 AM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

John (my eldest) and I went to see the new Alien film last night. Though it has gotten bad reviews, I thought the film was OK. Not many in the audience could say they were there to see the original in 1978 in the theatres! Anyway, the kid really liked it and will be talking to all his buddies at school tomorrow regarding 'his' review of the movie.

Have to say that the original Alien and The Exorcist are two fine films that I can never see again. Exorcist just scared the **** out of me. While my buddy and I decided to go see Alien for a matinee in an empty theater. Just wanted to climb under the seat.

Of the two, I don't know if Exorcist would bother me as the special effects would look dated. But I have no doubt that Alien would put me right back under that seat.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 4354
RE: August 1944 - 5/23/2017 2:56:26 AM   
John 3rd

We had the chance to watch Alien in a re-release at the local Cinemark Theatre thru Fandango Events. It was TERRIFYING!

The thing I loved about Covenant is that is brought back some of the old music and use of lettering from the 1978 original. Subtle but very cool.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 4355
RE: August 1944 - 5/23/2017 1:40:18 PM   
Xargun

quote:

Here is a telling screen on Production. Someone had asked for this to see what I've gone thru to this point in the war. Think this answers that question. As noted by several about 3-4 months ago I have issues with some of my engine production. Have tried to correct this but it is too little, too late. We'll muddle forward with what we have.

Just couldn't imagine the scale and scope of what I needed to fight this late in the war. We'll do much better in my next match.

On the BRIGHT side I crossed 900,000 stored HI. The goal is to hit 1,000,000.

How would you say your ground losses have been? Light, Normal, Heavy? Trying to picture what level you spent the 250k Armament points on. Also did you upgrade all the units in china - especially the tanks?

Xargun

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 4356
RE: August 1944 - 5/23/2017 1:49:05 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Xargun

How would you say your ground losses have been? Light, Normal, Heavy? Trying to picture what level you spent the 250k Armament points on. Also did you upgrade all the units in china - especially the tanks?

Xargun

If I recall correctly, John turned off both vehicles and armaments to save HI. He is still trying to accumulate HI...but I don't know why.

We still don't know how many Type 3 medium tanks Japan is fielding and how many he makes a month. The Type 3 is the most important device for Japan to make...it can go toe to toe with the Allies and Soviets.

(in reply to Xargun)
Post #: 4357
RE: August 1944 - 5/23/2017 2:08:02 PM   
John 3rd

August 4, 1944

Japan's subs have returned to old hunting waters and are scoring as they make their presence known. This day sees I-5 sink AK Lanyard Knot and damage another near the Channel Islands. While just a thorn in the side of the Americans, this sinking claims 30 Night-Fighting F6F with the ship. A rather nice double whammy.

Six I-Boats slip into the Aden and Karachi shipping lanes tomorrow...

Attachment (1)

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 4358
RE: August 1944 - 5/23/2017 2:17:18 PM   
John 3rd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

quote:

Xargun

If I recall correctly, John turned off both vehicles and armaments to save HI. He is still trying to accumulate HI...but I don't know why.

We still don't know how many Type 3 medium tanks Japan is fielding and how many he makes a month. The Type 3 is the most important device for Japan to make...it can go toe to toe with the Allies and Soviets.

I shut off my armaments for a period of about four months. As I think about it I think I also shut off AFV Production for a short time but then kicked it back on pretty quickly. Would have to read back in the AAR on that one.

Here is Tank production. The Type 3 began production in June 1944:

Attachment (1)

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 4359
RE: August 1944 - 5/23/2017 2:18:58 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

August 4, 1944

Japan's subs have returned to old hunting waters and are scoring as they make their presence known. This day sees I-5 sink AK Lanyard Knot and damage another near the Channel Islands. While just a thorn in the side of the Americans, this sinking claims 30 Night-Fighting F6F with the ship. A rather nice double whammy.

Six I-Boats slip into the Aden and Karachi shipping lanes tomorrow...

Wow! That is really great work!

You are the Iboat King!

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 4360
RE: August 1944 - 5/23/2017 2:19:25 PM   
John 3rd

On Xargun's ground losses question, I would say--to this point--my losses have been pretty light. There has been MANY ground campaigns (Burma, Sumatra, Celebes, etc...) where I've had heavy combat and then been able to fully rebuild/replenish my losses.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 4361
RE: August 1944 - 5/23/2017 2:22:54 PM   
Lowpe

I will have to think on the tank picture. Quick guess is that you have tank units upgrades off; hence you have no demand for the type 3, and subsequently haven't made any....

I can't explain why the type 3 doesn't show up any other way.

Stockpile those tractors!

In fact stockpile every vehicle except type 3 tanks.

Set tank units to upgrade.

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 5/23/2017 2:24:15 PM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 4362
RE: August 1944 - 5/23/2017 2:28:09 PM   
John 3rd

The worm has turned in Formosa. I am starting to withdraw my Fighters. The combination of Naval Bombardments and seeing 144 Liberators and 135 B-29s this day has made my mind up. Action:

Taihoku 46 Fighters vs. 7 Sweeps, 144 Liberators, and then 4 more Sweeps. A Night bombardment by 7 DDs added to this mess.

Kagi 43 Fighters vs. 3 Sweeps, 48 B-29, and two more Sweeps. Bombardment by 3 DDs.

Hengchun Two Sweeps and then 87 B-29.

Takao 13 Fighters vs. 3 Sweeps and then some Liberators.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 5/23/2017 2:29:14 PM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 4363
RE: August 1944 - 5/23/2017 2:45:38 PM   
Xargun

quote:

On Xargun's ground losses question, I would say--to this point--my losses have been pretty light. There has been MANY ground campaigns (Burma, Sumatra, Celebes, etc...) where I've had heavy combat and then been able to fully rebuild/replenish my losses.

so how many IDs worth of replenishment do you think you have done? Just trying to figure out how many IDs 250k rebuilds. I have no experience in late war and am wondering on the amount of Veh and Arm points I may need.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 4364
RE: August 1944 - 5/23/2017 2:48:33 PM   
John 3rd

In a small glimmer of good things, Japan still hold Darwin and Fenton, AUST. The 7th Australian Infantry Brigade is stunned to get pounded by 60 Japanese Medium Bombers and then get attacked by the 90th Japanese Inf Regiment. The Aussies are tough but taken by surprise. They succumb to a 2-1 attack and are driven out losing nearly 1,000 Casualties. The Infantry Reg pursues wanting one more smack at the Aussies.

Fenton is important as air search flies NE and East from their watching Allied shipping movements.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 4365
RE: August 1944 - 5/23/2017 2:49:31 PM   
Lowpe

I am totally amazed that the Allies tried to win the air war there for several days without naval bombarding. I believe every base is subject to bombardments.

Even with today's losses you did outstanding there!

If you still have supplies, and the runways ever repair...there is a possibility of using it for a one off aerial strike.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 4366
RE: August 1944 - 5/23/2017 2:51:36 PM   
John 3rd

For some reason Allied SS have disappeared around Soerabaja, Balikpapan, and Ternate: NICE!

The Kido Butai moves this turn to protective range of Ternate and the convoy carrying 8,000 men begins its run to the beleaguered base. If we can unload and rop off supplies several bombardments may follow with an assault following. There is hope on severely damaging the Allied ID laying siege to that base.

In two days the combined Tanker Fleet will begin its move...

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 4367
RE: August 1944 - 5/23/2017 2:52:32 PM   
John 3rd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

I am totally amazed that the Allies tried to win the air war there for several days without naval bombarding. I believe every base is subject to bombardments.

Even with today's losses you did outstanding there!

If you still have supplies, and the runways ever repair...there is a possibility of using it for a one off aerial strike.

My thoughts exactly! Supply is still pretty good with over 100,000 spread around the island.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 4368
RE: August 1944 - 5/23/2017 2:55:08 PM   
John 3rd

quote:

quote:

so how many IDs worth of replenishment do you think you have done? Just trying to figure out how many IDs 250k rebuilds. I have no experience in late war and am wondering on the amount of Veh and Arm points I may need.

Damn Xargun--I have no idea. I know that I used 12 ID in the Burma and Sumatra Campaign. They all needed rebuilding when done. Six were used in the Celebes with rebuilding afterwards. Everything being destroyed in Luzon is being brought back and restored. That is probably six-seven more.

That is stuff just off the top of my head.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Xargun)
Post #: 4369
RE: August 1944 - 5/23/2017 2:59:23 PM   
John 3rd

Knowing that all bets are off starting August 15th, I have moved a Night-Fighters unit to every major base where I have Engines and major amounts of Airframes being produced for SAM, FRANK, and TONY-100. Presently this list includes Maebishi, Nagasaki, Hiroshima, Hamamatsu, Gifu, and Harbin. Supporting the air units are a minimum of 5-6 AA units at each location.

Anything else I can use gang?

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 5/23/2017 3:00:03 PM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 4370
RE: August 1944 - 5/23/2017 3:37:17 PM   
ny59giants

Decent leaders, not the crappy ones AND make sure your radar is the latest available.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 4371
RE: August 1944 - 5/23/2017 3:53:00 PM   
Chickenboy

Also, not all AAA is created the same. AAA consisting of AAA machine gun squads will do zip diddly against massed high altitude Allied bombers. You need the 120mm, 88mm or some such large caliber guns that can get to altitude.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 4372
RE: August 1944 - 5/23/2017 4:17:46 PM   
MakeeLearn

Party Balloons... for low flyers

quote:

Balloons
The Balloon effect is determined by maximum value of (a) plus (b) below. The overall maximum of the sum is 9.
(a) Balloons are present in a base if the AF + port > 6. The value is the fort level of the hex.
(b) Balloons can be added to a base/LCU by creating a device of type BALLOON. The value is the number of devices. [not currently in use]

They affect aircraft flying below 6000'.

Twin-engine or higher planes increase the number of balloons by 4.

Balloon level is not reported but is usually the fort level if the combined value of the base is >6.
Pilot experience should help to avoid balloons (except for the bug I just found which is not always using the right pilot!!!)

Hopefully the bug has been put outside

< Message edited by MakeeLearn -- 5/23/2017 4:31:43 PM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 4373
RE: August 1944 - 5/23/2017 4:19:35 PM   
MakeeLearn

WHOOPPSS!!! a Clone

< Message edited by MakeeLearn -- 5/23/2017 4:30:05 PM >

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 4374
RE: August 1944 - 5/23/2017 4:47:12 PM   
Insano

quote:

Knowing that all bets are off starting August 15th, I have moved a Night-Fighters unit to every major base where I have Engines and major amounts of Airframes being produced for SAM, FRANK, and TONY-100. Presently this list includes Maebishi, Nagasaki, Hiroshima, Hamamatsu, Gifu, and Harbin. Supporting the air units are a minimum of 5-6 AA units at each location.

Anything else I can use gang?

You need to add Tokyo and Osaka to that list factories or no just because of the sheer amount of industry there. If he whacks your supply sources you'll be hurting.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 4375
RE: August 1944 - 5/23/2017 4:50:17 PM   
Lowpe

At first the Allies might target more than one base...or he might go for a monster attack on one target (Osaka or Tokyo).

One squadron of 18 NF won't stand up to wave after wave.

You will need to augment your night fighters with daytime fighters and even float planes.

Normally you will want to assign CAP to a range greater than 0...but watch your fatigue.

Check your detection levels...without high detection most night bombing will fail with only modest resistance on your part. Harbin is a base I think that probably needs minimal protection early on...unless you have evidence it is being targeted?

You want AA at every base that has Victory Points...no free raids ever. Make sure you have overlapping CAP, lots of radar and searchlights, and the TOE is upgraded on all units. Yoko and Hiroshima both have generous amounts of 12 cm AA guns if you upgraded them.

Leaders everywhere need to be good....

Minimal supply...move stockpile to the east somewhere it won't spoil.

Can't do better since I don't know what is under recon, or even the distribution of the industry in this mod.

VP from factories, resources, oil, refineries, manpower, industry, production plants. High manpower cities burn, and burn, and burn. The vast majority of your HI is in 3 cities (I think).

You need to read and understand your TOE, devices, etc.

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 5/23/2017 4:53:02 PM >

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 4376
RE: August 1944 - 5/23/2017 5:22:37 PM   
Xargun

quote:

Damn Xargun--I have no idea. I know that I used 12 ID in the Burma and Sumatra Campaign. They all needed rebuilding when done. Six were used in the Celebes with rebuilding afterwards. Everything being destroyed in Luzon is being brought back and restored. That is probably six-seven more.

That is stuff just off the top of my head.

Don't sweat it. I was just poking for as much info as I can get to what to expect in late game. The info you provided is still very useful to me. Thanks

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 4377
RE: August 1944 - 5/24/2017 2:04:00 AM   
John 3rd

We're gonna have time to work on this because Dan is leaving early tomorrow on a trip and then I leave Friday afternoon. Wed--Thurs shall be high level EXEC Conferencing team. We're gonna work this stuff and get it DONE and RIGHT!

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Xargun)
Post #: 4378
Page:   <<   < prev  142 143 144 145 [146]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: August 1944 Page: <<   < prev  142 143 144 145 [146]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI