Matrix Games Forums

Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual previewThe fight for Armageddon begins! The Matrix Holiday sales are starting today!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How to play the game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Tech Support >> How to play the game Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How to play the game - 11/14/2012 12:44:16 PM   
rrbill

Hmmm... want a game that allows high level command and lets details be worked out by lower level units. Says that's the plan for BftB.

Tried to issue an order to the highest level unit (German) in the "Saur" episode by giving an advance order to some place forward; was told that it could not be executed, or some such same meaning. BTW, the game played out in an interesting fashion, but w/o my involvement.

How can I issue fewest orders possible to slightly modify the German plan here? Step-by-step, if you can. Or, where in the manual can I relieve my ignorance? BTW, have done all the tutorial movies, read relevant parts of the pdf. manual and most of other parts.

Game seems to run just fine, but getting some competance in playing is very difficult.
Post #: 1
RE: How to play the game - 11/15/2012 7:45:53 PM   
rrbill

Well, situation is improved. Now able to command die Kampfgruppen and even win a few in the tutorial scenario (St. Vith.)

But the very first objective has an unusual icon, appearing to be a plunger style detonator. Hmmm... read up a bit and learned that bridges could be blown and that the order "deny crossing" could lead to that. Hasn't so far happened.

Does that unusual icon really mean the bridge is set to be blown, and if so, how can die truppen do it?

(in reply to rrbill)
Post #: 2
RE: How to play the game - 11/15/2012 10:31:30 PM   
Lieste

The objective is to deny the crossing. You need to check the crossing status to actually see whether it is blowable - the bridge icon changes from white to red, and there is a bar on the left pane when the objective is selected which indicates how thoroughly prepared the crossing is for demolition.
Engineers are required to prime crossings, and will increase the chances both of blowing a crossing when threatened, and of seizing enemy held crossings in a coup-de-main.

If the crossing guards are suppressed then any attempt to blow the crossing is less likely to succeed, more likely if the enemy is visible but the crossing guards are still functioning well.

(in reply to rrbill)
Post #: 3
RE: How to play the game - 11/15/2012 10:52:21 PM   
simovitch

quote:

ORIGINAL: rrbill

Hmmm... want a game that allows high level command and lets details be worked out by lower level units. Says that's the plan for BftB.

Tried to issue an order to the highest level unit (German) in the "Saur" episode by giving an advance order to some place forward; was told that it could not be executed, or some such same meaning. BTW, the game played out in an interesting fashion, but w/o my involvement.

How can I issue fewest orders possible to slightly modify the German plan here? Step-by-step, if you can. Or, where in the manual can I relieve my ignorance? BTW, have done all the tutorial movies, read relevant parts of the pdf. manual and most of other parts.

Game seems to run just fine, but getting some competance in playing is very difficult.

Some of the scenarios like "Assault on the Sauer" and "Race for Bastogne" require the Germans to start building crossings with their engineer and bridging units right from the getgo. Ordering the highest HQ (i.e. "the boss") to some objective on the far shore is not be the best way to do this particular task. Some things are best micromanaged at the battalion or, in the case of build or deny crossing, individual company orders.

Either way, I dont have much fun (or game-winning results) giving orders to HQ's above Regimental, unless the subordinate Battalion HQ's are already detached and I want to relocate the Regimental HQ and the supply base and have a few attached support companies tag along.

Otherwise, it's giving 90% of the orders at battalion level for me.

simovitch

(in reply to rrbill)
Post #: 4
RE: How to play the game - 11/16/2012 4:43:31 AM   
Deathtreader

quote:

ORIGINAL: simovitch

quote:

ORIGINAL: rrbill

Some of the scenarios like "Assault on the Sauer" and "Race for Bastogne" require the Germans to start building crossings with their engineer and bridging units right from the getgo. Ordering the highest HQ (i.e. "the boss") to some objective on the far shore is not be the best way to do this particular task. Some things are best micromanaged at the battalion or, in the case of build or deny crossing, individual company orders.

[]Either way, I dont have much fun (or game-winning results) giving orders to HQ's above Regimental, unless the subordinate Battalion HQ's are already detached and I want to relocate the Regimental HQ and the supply base and have a few attached support companies tag along.

Otherwise, it's giving 90% of the orders at battalion level for me.

Same here..........

Rob.

So we're at war with the Russkies eh?? I suppose we really ought to invade or something. (Lonnnng pause while studying the map)
Hmmmm... big place ain't it??
- Sir Harry Flashman (1854)

(in reply to simovitch)
Post #: 5
RE: How to play the game - 11/16/2012 11:31:15 AM   
phoenix

Battalion level, yes. Plus - if you're not bothered about it being a bit 'gamey' then you will achieve very significant results by supporting your units with direct control of at least some of the arty.

(in reply to Deathtreader)
Post #: 6
RE: How to play the game - 11/16/2012 1:55:24 PM   
rrbill

Thanks for useful info... am now enjoying the game entirely as have learned a bit. In fact, must compliment the developers for their product.

Went from very frustrated to very satisfied.

Might suggest the manual to have a more concise "getting started" section that deals with playing the pieces. Manual is very well done in re history, bibliogrqaphy, and strategic discussion, but there is a lot of tedious details merged with getting off the ground as a player. Hmmm... all manuals could have a "tedious details" section. (small point, left clicks/right clicks/clicks are referenced leaving "clicks" a term of mystery at first.) Manuals should be written to the needs of the intended audience, but who knew that audience would include a retired glorified clerk with a fossilized brain.

Let's see... thanks to posters for suggestion to look at the bridge/objective icon, for identifying attendant factors that affect outcomes of "deny crossing" order, and for implications to "carry on."

I'm playing the St. Vith tutorial to death, maybe I'll grow up a bit and try some other scenario. Learning the effects of impromtu Kampfgrup formation. Nice, but would like to get a handle on command at higher HQs.

Will appreciate any continuing remarks regarding playability.

Still curious about that objective icon at the Steinbruekke.

< Message edited by rrbill -- 11/16/2012 1:57:02 PM >

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Tech Support >> How to play the game Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI