Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week Battle Academy Battle Academy 2 Out now!Legions of Steel ready for betaBattle Academy 2 gets trailers and Steam page!Deal of the Week Germany at WarSlitherine Group acquires Shenandoah StudioNew information and screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers required
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Where the heck do I start?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Where the heck do I start? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Where the heck do I start? - 11/14/2012 3:54:07 AM   
pgruen

Guys, I apologize for this question, but here goes. I recently purchased and installed WITP AE. I started up the game, watched round 1, and when my turn came, I sat there totally dumbfounded. I don't have a damn clue what to do or where to start. I've searched endlessly for any kind of tutorial, but I can't find anything in the game files. I watched some stuff on You Tube, but there's nothing there to indicate how I start my turn. Can someone point me to a tutorial or offer some suggestions? I've never been so clueless about a game.

Paul Gruen
Post #: 1
RE: Where the heck do I start? - 11/14/2012 4:00:09 AM   
Kull

quote:

ORIGINAL: pgruen

Guys, I apologize for this question, but here goes. I recently purchased and installed WITP AE. I started up the game, watched round 1, and when my turn came, I sat there totally dumbfounded. I don't have a damn clue what to do or where to start. I've searched endlessly for any kind of tutorial, but I can't find anything in the game files. I watched some stuff on You Tube, but there's nothing there to indicate how I start my turn. Can someone point me to a tutorial or offer some suggestions? I've never been so clueless about a game.

Start with the Allies. The first link in my sig will take you to a spreadsheet that will tell you exactly what to do with every unit on Day2. There's undoubtedly better strategies out there, but against the AI and for your first game, it should be pretty helpful. There are some nice tutorials out there, but just going through the steps I outlined will give you a pretty good idea of what to do and why. Day 3 and beyond get a lot easier!

AE-Japan Setup

AE-Allied Setup

Japan Air-Engine Plan

(in reply to pgruen)
Post #: 2
RE: Where the heck do I start? - 11/14/2012 4:12:08 AM   
Dan Nichols

You could start here:

Training videos

Sardaukars Newbie Tutorial

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 3
RE: Where the heck do I start? - 11/14/2012 4:16:47 AM   
nashvillen

Also, start with a smaller scenario to get used to the interface. Play both sides to get used to what the enemy might be able to do. Also, consider playing against a live opponenet, they are more unpredictable and keep you on your toes.

Just my $0.02. YMMV

(in reply to Dan Nichols)
Post #: 4
RE: Where the heck do I start? - 11/14/2012 4:17:07 AM   
Admiral Mitscher

Also I would suggest you start looking at one of the small scenarios, I started with the Guadalcanal one.

(in reply to Dan Nichols)
Post #: 5
RE: Where the heck do I start? - 11/14/2012 4:19:34 AM   
Kull

quote:

ORIGINAL: Admiral Mitscher

Also I would suggest you start looking at one of the small scenarios, I started with the Guadalcanal one.

Good advice. I began with 1000 mile war, which is about as small as you can get. Gives you a feel for how things work.

AE-Japan Setup

AE-Allied Setup

Japan Air-Engine Plan

(in reply to Admiral Mitscher)
Post #: 6
RE: Where the heck do I start? - 11/14/2012 6:31:02 AM   
John 3rd

1000 Mile War is an excellent start. Once you have that down move on to Guadalcanal. When that looks and feels pretty good start Scenario 1 for a bit and enjoy yourself. Play the Allies.

After getting in a decent number of turns look for an Opponent for PBEM and go back to Guadalcanal.

My .02...

Member: Reluctant Admiral and Perfect War Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 7
RE: Where the heck do I start? - 11/14/2012 6:52:58 AM   
Wally Wilson

Keep supplies and fuel moving foward.

As the Allies, you have a lot of time to learn the game.

Even against the AI, some things are simply inevitable. Build up and support the bases that are not automatically doomed (let history be your guide).

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 8
RE: Where the heck do I start? - 11/14/2012 7:21:41 AM   
LoBaron

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

1000 Mile War is an excellent start. Once you have that down move on to Guadalcanal. When that looks and feels pretty good start Scenario 1 for a bit and enjoy yourself. Play the Allies.

After getting in a decent number of turns look for an Opponent for PBEM and go back to Guadalcanal.

My .02...

Very good advice already given in here.

You do not need to play a whole scenario if you don´t want to. Just long enough so you feel you learned the basics. When you feel confident how to handle
the different assets go back to the Grand Campaign.

Actually Guadalcanal can be extremely demanding and fun, so I suggest you stay there longer.

There is an excellent collection of video tutorials describing the basic game mechanisms, provided by Damian. Its a great piece of work! See this link:
Tutes

Ah...and read the manual. It is completely obsolete in the details (as it was printed a sensational 1838 patches ago - ok, no idea how many but many), but
it provides you the basic frame of what to expect, what to do, how to do it, and why something does not work the way you think. It still is THE most important
reference.

Have fun, and simply ask if you got more questions!

S**t happens in war.

All hail the superior ones!

(in reply to pgruen)
Post #: 9
RE: Where the heck do I start? - 11/14/2012 9:36:12 PM   
CaptDave

And don't overlook the AE Wiki. It's certainly not as complete as it could be, nor kept up as frequently as it should be, but it can be (a) a quick reference to some of the more important threads in the forum, and (b) a plain-English explanation of some of the finer points.

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Where the heck do I start? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI