Matrix Games Forums

Happy Easter!Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets UpdatedBattle Academy Mega Pack is now availableClose Combat: Gateway to Caen Teaser Trailer
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Bob Flemin's AAR se!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Commander - The Great War >> After Action Reports >> RE: Bob Flemin's AAR se! Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Bob Flemin's AAR se! - 11/17/2012 12:28:50 AM   
Lord Zimoa

If you can afford it save ammo and concentrate your artillery barrage units, bombers and fighters and attack between each pounding with your best infantry units, concentrate them all and use garrisons to hold the trenched lines while preparing your offensives.

In the management menu, purchase and increase your ammo production output.

Just don`t use your artillery units every single turn. Try and get 3 concentrating on one point with bombers or airships. I prefer coastal points as I can bring in a battleship group for some extra horrendous firepower.

Blast them into smithereens!

Great AAR BTW. ;-)

< Message edited by Lord Zimoa -- 11/17/2012 12:29:42 AM >

www.thelordzgamesstudio.com
www.panzer-corps.com
www.commander-games.com

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 121
RE: Bob Flemin's AAR se! - 11/17/2012 12:31:11 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lord Zimoa

If you can afford it save ammo and concentrate your artillery barrage units, bombers and fighters and attack between each pounding with your best infantry units, concentrate them all and use garrisons to hold the trenched lines while preparing your offensives.

In the management menu, purchase and increase your ammo production output.

Just don`t use your artillery units every single turn. Try and get 3 concentrating on one point with bombers or airships. I prefer coastal points as I can bring in a battleship group for some extra horrendous firepower.

Blast them into smithereens!
warspite1

Why are there anchor symbols that you can't enter e.g. the hex south of Calais in invulnerable to shore bombardment?

England expects that every man will do his duty - Horatio Nelson 1805.

(in reply to Lord Zimoa)
Post #: 122
RE: Bob Flemin's AAR se! - 11/17/2012 12:32:26 AM   
Lord Zimoa

Those are enemy ports and their defenses. The CP holds Calais so also controls the port defences in the port hex adjacent to it.

< Message edited by Lord Zimoa -- 11/17/2012 12:35:41 AM >

www.panzer-corps.com
www.commander-games.com

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 123
RE: Bob Flemin's AAR se! - 11/17/2012 12:34:33 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lord Zimoa

Those are enemy ports and their defenses.
warspite1

Ahhh... makes sense.

(in reply to Lord Zimoa)
Post #: 124
RE: Bob Flemin's AAR se! - 11/17/2012 12:38:32 AM   
Lord Zimoa

Wrote is somewhere else, but don`t see artillery as units, but as artillery barrages.

quote:

Fighters represent Fighter Corps, so HQ and mobile airfields, including personnel, logistics, maintenance, and fighter groups/squadrons behind the lines.

So they act or react from their home bases, so don`t put them in front and they don`t fly like in PzC. Best is to keep them behind one or even two hexes you main battle line, closer to the front of course you have one hex more LOS (Line of Sight), but they are more vulnerable in case of a front collapses.

Same for battleships, they represent your main battleship groups, so included are all support vessels, hence a reason when they are stationary in ports or operate within home hexes(represented by green dotted hexes) they get a defence bonus representing patrol or torpedo boat and minefield protection.

Only battleship groups can bombard and support and have a max of one hex range, if your ammo production is efficient enough and they are fully supplied.

So no bugs. This is not a tactical game with individual units, unit icons represent corps or armies, naval fleets or air groups/wings with all their support. Infantry for example when they attack they have artillery support every attack, the artillery you can buy basically represent large artillery formations giving a week of continues artillery barrages before a front opens.

They don`t represent a single or a dozen guns, but a whole front opening fire for days in a row, hence the reason why your ammo is depleted after 1 million or more shells are fired during one or two weeks.

So save your ammo for well planned operations, or invest in more ammo production. You cannot shoot millions of shells every week.

Just try and get into this grand strategy mindset, of course it is all abstracted, but like this the game rules , design and concept is build up.

www.panzer-corps.com
www.commander-games.com

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 125
RE: Bob Flemin's AAR se! - 11/17/2012 6:53:52 AM   
warspite1

Turn 47 - 30th March 1916 (cont)

In the north the German are pressing Kovno, and an Infantry pushes toward Vilna. I ignore the threat to Kovno and launch a pincer against the Vilna infantry. I have to use an army from Brest-Litovsk for the southern arm, but the attack works and none of the Germans will see their homeland again.

I withdraw the 4-strength Garrison toward Riga.

Better news east of Brest-Litovsk. My artillery takes lumps out of the eastern most German army, and my Infantry then forces it to retreat with just 2 points remaining.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 11/17/2012 6:54:51 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 126
RE: Bob Flemin's AAR se! - 11/17/2012 7:03:02 AM   
warspite1

In Serbia, my last two units hunker down. I repair and upgrade both and await the inevitable.

On the coast, I land a third Italian Garrison and continue marching south with the other two, vacating Cetinje in the process. The Italian battlefleet pounds Cattaro to try and keep them quiet.

I have a French Infantry in the Adriatic. Do I land him in support of the rear-guard Italians or continue north to assist events around Trieste? I go for the latter.

I repair some infantry, but otherwise its a quiet turn in Italy.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 127
RE: Bob Flemin's AAR se! - 11/17/2012 7:10:55 AM   
warspite1

In France I have a load of cash to spend with both the British and the French. I try and be more sensible this time, buying more ammo and upgrading & repairing everything in sight. Lets see what that does next turn.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 128
RE: Bob Flemin's AAR se! - 11/17/2012 7:29:59 AM   
warspite1

Turn 48 - 13th April 1916

Sure enough I lost the Batumi Garrison - no one to blame but myself there.... but I'll blame everyone else anyway.

I move the Stavropol Garrison south, and revert to plan A - get everyone behind the river near Tiflis.

I also lost my Garrison north of Kovno. Both this city and Riga are under threat now. In order to repair the situation I should have gone on to the defensive. Instead I use my Infantry that had such success last turn to head north and attack the AH army southwest of Kovno. The attacks are a total failure and I fail to make any impression on the AH .

My sole success this turn is to force the battered German unit southeast of Brest-Litovsk to retreat.

Vinnytsia is surrounded and so to avoid a "Batumi" I vacate the city - let's hope it works....

Serbia

I get a Garrison reinforcement that I place east of Tirana. I hope to make a redoubt in the hills...

Italy

All quiet.

France

Right. All 5 artillery can fire. Let's do it! Er...no they can't - I was premature. I MUST BE MORE PATIENT!!!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 129
RE: Bob Flemin's AAR se! - 11/17/2012 7:44:54 AM   
CarnageINC

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Right. All 5 artillery can fire. Let's do it! Er...no they can't - I was premature. I MUST BE MORE PATIENT!!!

MY GOD MAN! It must be wonderful to be so rich in PP's as the allies are to buy 5 Artillery units

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 130
RE: Bob Flemin's AAR se! - 11/17/2012 9:35:03 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: CarnageINC

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

MY GOD MAN! It must be wonderful to be so rich in PP's as the allies are to buy 5 Artillery units

warspite1

Yeah - I can afford the guns, but no ammo..... I'll get the hang of it eventually - hopefully

(in reply to CarnageINC)
Post #: 131
RE: Bob Flemin's AAR se! - 11/17/2012 9:52:26 AM   
warspite1

Turn 49 - 27th April 1916

Romania joins the Allies - Yippee

In the Caucasus I straighten the line...and that's about it.

In the Ukraine I lose Vinnytsia, but in so doing I am hoping I saved my Garrison which flees north.

Around Kovno - what do I do? I want to attack, but defeat would be catastrophic. I chicken out, choosing instead to shuffle my armies north to try and dissuade the Germans from entering Riga.

Romania

The country is BIG and the units spread out - this could be more of a headache than a help! I spend all my points on a Garrison and an Infantry and remain on the defensive.

Serbia

I have yellow triangles against my Italian Garrisons and Serbian unit. Not sure what that means - I await developments....

Italy

The French bombard the AH unit northwest of Trieste, while my Italian infantry attack the Garrison unit to its northwest - reducing it to a 6-strength.

France

I simply repair and upgrade in order to save ammo for the "big push".

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 132
RE: Bob Flemin's AAR se! - 11/17/2012 10:04:18 AM   
warspite1

Turn 50 - 11th May 1916

Ukraine

The AH unit goes after my Garrison; which continues to run away, and I ring my Romanian infantry two within two hexes of Vinnytsia to threaten re-taking the city for the Allies.

Riga falls I continue sending a Russian Infantry north to try and dislodge him.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 133
RE: Bob Flemin's AAR se! - 11/17/2012 10:11:28 AM   
warspite1

Turn 50 - 11th May 1916 (cont)

Romania

I place a Garrison in Iasi.

Serbia

Out of desperation I land a French Infantry between Split and Cattaro, having bombarded the AH infantry northwest of that city. This may relieve some pressure on Belgrade.

Italy

I continue to batter the AH Garrison with my French Battlefleet.

France

I still stockpile supplies for the big offensive.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 134
RE: Bob Flemin's AAR se! - 11/17/2012 10:47:28 AM   
warspite1

Turn 51 - 25th May 1916

Good news! Britain's old ally has joined the fun. Hello Portugal, and welcome to the parteeeeeeee.

Portugal

I put an Infantry on board ship. No idea where he's off to put I'll make it up as I go along. I buy a 2nd Infantry as a replacement.

Russia

I repair a unit in the Caucasus but can do no more - I have no dosh to spend with the Russians

The AH Infantry has headed back to Vinnytsia so I move my Garrison toward Kiev.

Further north I splatt the German in Riga and reduce him to a 5-strength.

Romania

What exactly do I do here? The Bulgarians have attacked Constanta. Knowing I have a reinforcement next turn, I move the Bucharest Infantry toward the port.

I bring my Infantry back from Vinnytsia toward Chisnau.

Serbia

A Turk appears northwest of Skopje?? I buy an Infantry and decide to send the French Infantry south. The French battlefleet move south to pound Cattaro and this is followed up by an attack by the French.

Italy

I repair and update.

France

No action - I go over the top next turn

Attachment (1)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 135
RE: Bob Flemin's AAR se! - 11/17/2012 11:09:34 AM   
warspite1

Turn 52 - 8th June 1916

Russia

The Turks are applying ever more pressure in the south... I need some money!!

The Riga unit repaired but another 3-0 victory reduces it to a 4.

In Romania I place the newly arrived Infantry north of Constanta and attack with my 2nd unit. The Bulgarian is reduced to a 5-strength.

Serbia

Goodness! It's all happening! The Axis do not like my French Infantry on the coast!! The Axis have a lot of mixed units in the areas, but the quality is poor. My Serb Garrison next to Belgrade destroys a German Garrison to the north.

I use both the Italian and French fleets to soften up the Cattaro Garrison before unleashing the full force of the cream of the French Army. Cattaro is now down to 2.

Portugal

I am going to send this unit to Serbia too.

France

The Grand Fleet shell Calais and two artillery open up on the AH unit to the south. A double whammy from Infantry and Cavalry destroys said Axis unit. I throw caution to the wind and attack pretty much all along the line. The Great June offensive finishes and, at a cost of 120,000 lives the Allied armies are now 6 inches closer to Berlin

Attachment (1)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 136
RE: Bob Flemin's AAR se! - 11/17/2012 11:25:21 AM   
warspite1

Turn 53 - 22nd June 1916

Well. I do not want to speak too soon, but I wonder if I have the Germans on the run..?

Romania

The sole AH Infantry continues to march south toward Chisnau. I surround him and attack with two Infantry and a Garrison, reducing the hapless Habsburg to a 2-strength. My Russian Garrison in Kiev says thanks and marches on Vinnytsia.

Meanwhile, south of Constanta, I destroy the Bulgarian Infantry with another 2-Infantry and 1-Garrison attack. Unfortunately the AH have garrisoned Varna, but that was a good turn!!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 137
RE: Bob Flemin's AAR se! - 11/17/2012 12:24:09 PM   
warspite1

Turn 53 - 22nd June 1916 (cont)

Meanwhile in downtown Serbia....

Cattaro falls to the French Infantry. I repair as much as I can.

Italy - nothing to report.

Russia

The Caucasus needs reinforcements, but I do not know how to get money??

In northern Russia I reduce the Rigan Infantry to a 3.

France

In the absence of the Germans restoring their line, I push forward with the British on the left flank, and continue attacking along the line. I think the offensive has run out of steam, but will know more once I see how the enemy respond...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 138
RE: Bob Flemin's AAR se! - 11/17/2012 12:37:17 PM   
warspite1

Turn 54 - 6th July 1916

In Southern Russia the Turks continue to move on Krasnodar, which is worrying....

In the north I reduce Riga to a 1, while my Garrison unit re-takes Vinnytsia (only to find a German Infantry next door. I send a Romanian Infantry to assist - reducing the German unit to a 4 - and use my Garrison to remove the AH Infantry. My second Infantry then heads west to take out the AH Infantry threatening Iasi and the second Garrison unit in the area destroys another AH Infantry. What a turn from the Romanians!!!

But its not over yet! Buoyed by the success, the two Infantry and one Garrison near Varna go into battle against the AH Infantry there. Three attacks later and this is reduced to a 3-strength.....

Attachment (1)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 139
RE: Bob Flemin's AAR se! - 11/17/2012 12:38:38 PM   
Lukas

That is a lot of Artillery! Make sure you balance Artillery production & Ammo production properly, or those guns become nothing more than decoration

And be warned that having Romania enter the on your side is a bit of a double edged sword: Yes you have more troops, but not enough to cover the whole Romanian borderline! If you are not careful, it just gives the CP more chances to bypass your defenses.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 140
RE: Bob Flemin's AAR se! - 11/17/2012 12:40:52 PM   
warspite1

Turn 54 - 6th July 1916 (cont)

In Serbia I lose two points with my French Infantry and the Bulgarians and Turks are closing in on my Italian Garrisons - that's not so clever.

Italy

I continue to attack the hex north of Venice, just as the Axis keep attacking my hex south of Trento!

France

I continue pouring shot and shell into the German lines, but the attacks are as costly for me as they are for the enemy. The RN let me down, failing to damage the unit in Calais this turn. Knife-edge stuff.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 11/17/2012 1:45:48 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 141
RE: Bob Flemin's AAR se! - 11/17/2012 1:16:45 PM   
Myrddraal

Wow, at lot to read and catch up on here...

quote:

Wow, your East Front looks nothing like mine! Where are the Russians getting all these PP and men from in my game?!? Thanks again for the pic

It looks like Warspite is dedicating quite a lot of units to the Caucasus. Warspite, I would suggest that you can hold the Turks at bay with fewer units there, and use mostly garrisons. That would save you a few PPs for the west.

quote:

I have yellow triangles against my Italian Garrisons and Serbian unit. Not sure what that means - I await developments...

This means your units are not connected to any capital and are therefore on half supply. It makes them vulnerable, watch out!

Really, the only hope to counter the Bulgarian entry to the war is to give ground early, and make up for the loss of PPs by bringing over French, British and Italian troops. It hurts to give up precious cities, but with the Bulgarians in the war you will be outflanked.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 142
RE: Bob Flemin's AAR se! - 11/17/2012 1:34:18 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Myrddraal

quote:

This means your units are not connected to any capital and are therefore on half supply. It makes them vulnerable, watch out!

Thank-you .

quote:

Warspite, I would suggest that you can hold the Turks at bay with fewer units there, and use mostly garrisons. That would save you a few PPs for the west.

Well I'm the general, and I don't have enough guns, men, cavalry, ships, in fact everything...the game is borked!!

(in reply to Myrddraal)
Post #: 143
RE: Bob Flemin's AAR se! - 11/17/2012 1:44:56 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lukas

That is a lot of Artillery! Make sure you balance Artillery production & Ammo production properly, or those guns become nothing more than decoration

And be warned that having Romania enter the on your side is a bit of a double edged sword: Yes you have more troops, but not enough to cover the whole Romanian borderline! If you are not careful, it just gives the CP more chances to bypass your defenses.
warspite1

See post 132

(in reply to Lukas)
Post #: 144
RE: Bob Flemin's AAR se! - 11/17/2012 2:15:56 PM   
warspite1

Turn 55 - 20th July 1916

Russia

I take back Riga at last!! Not a moment too soon as the Germans are trying to outflank me northwest of Brest-Litovsk. Its vital I hold here because, so long as I have this city and the similarly named port in the northwest of France, no matter how bad the game gets, I can always say I am holding a pair of Brests

Bulgarians are showing up everywhere!! Vinnytsia is under threat from a Bulgarian and German Infantry and so I pull my Romanian back behind the river.

In the south I take the Black Sea port of Varna. I buy an Infantry...I'm going to need it!

Serbia

I continue to exert pressure on Cetinje. The Italian battlefleet pummell the AH Garrison there, and they are joined by the French Infantry and an Italian Garrison, reducing the AH unit to 2. In Tirana, my newly arrived Serbian Infantry inflicts 3 points of damage on the Turk Garrison.

Italy

Nothing to report.

France

A better turn for the British. The RN damage the Calais defender and then an Infantry/Cavalry attack forces a German Infantry to retreat.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 145
RE: Bob Flemin's AAR se! - 11/17/2012 2:36:03 PM   
warspite1

Turn 56 - 3rd August 1916

Russia

The Germans begin retreating from Kovno - and I start to follow....from a discreet distance!

Romania

I repair units.

Serbia

I end the earthly existence of the AH Infantry in Cetinje, although I have nothing to move into the city. I also inflict some pain on the Turkish Garrison east of Tirana.

Italy

I conduct a rubbish attack on a German coastal Garrison, losing 2 points for nil return . Nice one warspite...

France

The British continue to exert pressure on the German right wing. Calais is down to 6-strength. The French assist with an attack in the centre.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 146
RE: Bob Flemin's AAR se! - 11/17/2012 2:53:14 PM   
Myrddraal

quote:

although I have nothing to move into the city

Just in case you hadn't noticed, you can advance with a unit which has just attacked if it destroys the enemy or forces them to retreat. You can then move into the hex they just vacated.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 147
RE: Bob Flemin's AAR se! - 11/17/2012 2:54:33 PM   
warspite1

Turn 57 - 17th August 1916

Romania

I repair units, waiting for my Infantry reinforcement next turn.

Russia

Once again I undertake 3 risky attacks to remove a probing German infantry west of Kovno. Major casualties on both sides - I hope the Axis haven't got reinforcements handy....

Serbia

Oh dear....

A mixed Bulgarian, Turk and AH army group remove my heroic French Infantry in Cattaro. Mmmm.

Italy

I just re-organise the line. All I can do.

France

I bypass Calais, launching an attack north by the 1st Cavalry Army (now promoted to Guards status due to that attack). I try and dislodge a Garrison 2 hexes southwest of Brussels, but it holds firm. A launch a number of attacks across the line but the attack eventually peters out.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 11/17/2012 2:59:29 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 148
RE: Bob Flemin's AAR se! - 11/17/2012 2:56:50 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Myrddraal

quote:

although I have nothing to move into the city

Just in case you hadn't noticed, you can advance with a unit which has just attacked if it destroys the enemy or forces them to retreat. You can then move into the hex they just vacated.
warspite1

Thanks myrddraal, but what I meant by that was if I advanced I would only end up vacating one city for another and so I preferred to stay put.

Btw I really appreciate the timely answers to my questions from the moderators - it really helps

(in reply to Myrddraal)
Post #: 149
RE: Bob Flemin's AAR se! - 11/17/2012 3:18:29 PM   
warspite1

Turn 58 - 31st August 1916

Southern Russia - Grim... I am being pushed ever backwards and the Turks are expanded from Batumi.

Northern Russia - more high cost action in the north. I reduce a German Infantry to 5 and force an AH Infantry to retreat 1 hex southeast of Koenigsberg.

Romania

I decide to go on the offensive and pack 3 Infantry and 2 Garrisons in and around Iasi, ready to march west.

Serbia

All units in the southwest are yellow triangled. I have a plan to get out of this predicament but.........

Italy

I decide to go on to the attack as the Axis could not maintain a solid line last time. I destroy an AH Garrison next to Trento too.

France

The pushing back of the Axis continues, albeit slowly and at cost. Calais is almost liberated!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Commander - The Great War >> After Action Reports >> RE: Bob Flemin's AAR se! Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI