Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the Family
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Bob Flemin's AAR se!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Commander - The Great War >> After Action Reports >> Bob Flemin's AAR se! Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Bob Flemin's AAR se! - 11/13/2012 9:11:39 PM   
warspite1

Okay - hopefully someone will tell me how to post a screen shot, but in the meantime I am about to start a game. Apart from mucking about for an hour earlier I am completely new to the game and game type so I do not expect the game to last too long. Any obvious, glaring errors, I would greatly appreciate if you could please let me know!

Me: Entente Allies (I will refer to as Allies, and the other side as the Axis)
Strength: Balanced
Scenario 1914 - The Great War (but just hoping to get to the end of 1914 with Paris intact).
Display Options - all enabled
Controls - all enabled except Double Mouse Buttons

England expects that every man will do his duty - Horatio Nelson 1805.

Post #: 1
RE: Bob Flemin's AAR se! - 11/13/2012 9:25:24 PM   
warspite1

Turn 1 - 23rd July 1914

I have lost my Serbian Garrison troops two hexes west of Belgrade.

My turn!

Production: I figure I just need to survive with the Serbs so I buy 2 Garrison Units - which are all I can afford.

Research: What happened there? I clicked Industrial Warfare and then focus...mmmm not sure what that is about.

Diplomacy: Nothing much happening there. I can declare war on a few nations apprently. I think I'm in enough trouble so will leave that.

Management: I can't seem to do too much in this screen. Stockpiles are at nil, but i have a positive balance (income?) of 9 so that looks okay... I think.

Movement - I put the Garrison north of Skopje into Nis and end the turn.....

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2
RE: Bob Flemin's AAR se! - 11/13/2012 9:40:04 PM   
warspite1

Turn 2 - 30th July 1914

The Austro-Hungarians are massing on Serbia's northwestern border but have not attacked this turn while they repair losses from their initial attack.

Production: Both my Garrison units are now available. I place one south of Belgrade and the second northwest of Nis on the rail line. There is some forest behind a river east of Belgrade that looks decent defensive territory for these two. I do not have enough points to buy a further garrison unit (I have 9 and need 10), but I repair my garrison southwest of Belgrade at a cost of two points to bring him back up to strength.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3
RE: Bob Flemin's AAR se! - 11/13/2012 9:48:23 PM   
warspite1

Turn 3 - 6th August 1914

Ohhh errr missus. Germany has declared war and attacked France and Belgium. Brussels has taken a right pasting.... Back to that in a mo..

...meanwhile back in sunny Serbia....

The Austrians attacked the Garrison southwest of Belgrade and reduced the unit to a "5", taking "4" hits themselves.

I switch the depleted unit for the unit I placed on the map the previous turn, and bring the depleted garrison back up to "7".

I purchase a further garrison unit to defend Nis next turn, moving the two garrisons northwest to defend the river line southeast of Belgrade.

I leave the Serbian front at that.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 4
RE: Bob Flemin's AAR se! - 11/13/2012 10:09:42 PM   
warspite1

Turn 3 - 6th August 1914

Okay back to where the real action is....France and Belgium.

I don't think the Belgians are in this for the long haul so just need to delay the Kaiser. I buy a garrison unit and spend three points repairing the unit in Brussels. That's about it for the Belgians I'm afraid.

France... what the hell do I do with these boys??

May be I should take the long term approach and build cavalry or artillery.. but the French line looks thin. I buy a garrison and infantry unit instead.

Research I go for Barbed Wire and Focus (whatever that means - hope its good).

In terms of movement, I stick a garrison into Verdun and otherwise shuffle the French line northwards to try and plug the glaring gap between Verdun and Brussels. Ou est les Angles? or something like that anyway...

Last thing I try is to use my fighter to worry the German army menacing Brussels.. but to no effect all round.

Okay lets see what the Germans can do, but first a screenshot or two.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 11/13/2012 10:46:57 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 5
RE: Bob Flemin's AAR se! - 11/13/2012 10:33:31 PM   
warspite1

Here is how the western front looks now:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 11/13/2012 10:53:44 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 6
RE: Bob Flemin's AAR se! - 11/13/2012 10:37:20 PM   
warspite1

..and the Balkans...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 11/13/2012 10:52:04 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 7
RE: Bob Flemin's AAR se! - 11/13/2012 11:38:50 PM   
balto

Warspite,

I am just as unaware of what to do with this as you are. Care for a match?

I do not care which side because I have no idea how this works, I only goof around with Serbia then go into about turn 5 and start over trying to figure a few basics out. I imagine that it takes more brains to be the CP because you have to be aggressive as in the real WW 1, but how the game handles this.., I have no idea.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 8
RE: Bob Flemin's AAR se! - 11/14/2012 2:20:14 AM   
wodin

Unlikely your "fighter" will do much. Planes didn't have weapons or bombs at this stage of the war. I presume you have to use it for recon. The Germans will be coming through Belgium I expect. If it's based historically then you should be geared up for an attack into Alsace lorraine but thats upto you. The Brits will arrive soon but not many of them..use them for your left flank. In the War the Germans pushed all the way to the Marne and very close to Paris before a counter attack brought them to a halt..then it was a race (called the Race to the Sea)to flank which pushed both sides back upto the coast.

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

(in reply to balto)
Post #: 9
RE: Bob Flemin's AAR se! - 11/14/2012 6:15:14 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: balto

Warspite,

I am just as unaware of what to do with this as you are. Care for a match?

I do not care which side because I have no idea how this works, I only goof around with Serbia then go into about turn 5 and start over trying to figure a few basics out. I imagine that it takes more brains to be the CP because you have to be aggressive as in the real WW 1, but how the game handles this.., I have no idea.
Warspite1

PM sent

(in reply to balto)
Post #: 10
RE: Bob Flemin's AAR se! - 11/14/2012 6:54:00 AM   
warspite1

Turn 4 - 13th August 1914

Artillery Technology is available - I'll have to check that out.
Great Britain joined the Allies - hussah!!
French and Serbian garrison units now available.

Belgium

Zut alors! Brussels has fallen and production capacity lost. Just an armoured car unit in Antwerp left for the Belgians....

France

I do not know whether to put my garrison reinforcement in Calais or keep with the bulk of the French army to try and avoid destruction in detail. I go for the later and hope the British Army can hold the Germans in the north.

I do more shuffling of troops to gradually try and close the gap north of Verdun. No attacks from me this turn I think.

I purchase a cavalry unit, although this will take 3 turns to arrive.

Not sure what the Research stuff is all about. I click on the howitzer and focus.

Great Britain

I put an army on board a transport in London, I send an army to Southampton to board a transport next turn. I send my cruisers to sea. Not sure why yet. I move my submarine toward the Baltic.

Research I go for the howitzer and anti-aircraft....

Back to Serbia

The Austrians attack my garrison unit southwest of Belgrade, but they have taken some casualties in so doing.

I put my newly arrived garrison in Nis and repair my two garrisons as best I can. The vulnerable unit southwest of Belgrade is up to level 8...just need him to survive next turn.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 11
RE: Bob Flemin's AAR se! - 11/14/2012 7:03:35 AM   
warspite1

Turn 5 - 20th August 1914

Damn I have to go to work.... Russia join the war.

I will look at what the Axis did now and then hopefully do the Allied Turn 5 this evening.

Serbia

The Austrians did attack my Garrison but failed to dislodge it. That front seems to be holding up okay.

Belgium

No attack on Antwerp. The Germans have bypassed it....

France

The Germans have gone for Calais - I wonder if I should have put my garrison in there?
A couple of attacks elsewhere on the French, but I should be able to repair those.
The British seem to take forever - one turn to get on the transport, another to travel to France, and a third to unload

Russia

Nothing to report here.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 12
RE: Bob Flemin's AAR se! - 11/14/2012 12:01:56 PM   
wodin

Warspite I tried to give some advice further up (if the game does play historically that is).

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 13
RE: Bob Flemin's AAR se! - 11/14/2012 1:26:46 PM   
Myrddraal

A couple of tips:
As wodin said, fighters are not much use in the early war. They are unable to do any damage to enemy units (although they can reduce enemy efficiency). Right now what you probably need most is boots on the ground, i.e. infantry and garrisons. As you've noticed, it takes a while for the British to mobilise. Your forces are well entrenched in Alsace Lorraine, your priority should be to try to protect your flank to the north.

It may be too late, but if you can, garrison your key vulnerable cities, and shift your forces north. If you have spare cash (I know that's not likely) it might be worth investing in rail capacity for the French, to allow you to redeploy your forces from the south to the north more easily.

I wouldn't bother trying to attack in the south, you have bigger fish to fry.

If the Germans have bypassed Antwerp, you can keep it supplied from the sea. A fully supplied fortress on the coast behind the German flank will be a major thorn in their side, and may force them to hold back on the advance.

< Message edited by Myrddraal -- 11/14/2012 1:27:27 PM >

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 14
RE: Bob Flemin's AAR se! - 11/14/2012 1:45:06 PM   
wodin

^^I agree...

(in reply to Myrddraal)
Post #: 15
RE: Bob Flemin's AAR se! - 11/14/2012 5:28:34 PM   
balto

Based on my limited exposure to about turn 10-12.., do not get cocky on the Eastern Front. I was terrorizing Prussia and I took both cities! Then out of the German frontier and AH.., a giant army came at me. My entire Russian force is basically gone. Then Turkey jumps in.., holy crap!!!

And the British, I miscalculated and could not afford the forces I created, so watch out for that.

Also, do not go after the AH navy with the French and British Med fleet.., they will crush you in their home waters.

Serbia seems easy to hold.., sort of easy.

I will restart the scenario tonight. I think I am going to do as advised and just buy units and hunker down.

Then I am going to be the CP and see what I can figure out what their strengths are. Looking forward to the rest of your AAR.

< Message edited by balto -- 11/14/2012 5:30:18 PM >

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 16
RE: Bob Flemin's AAR se! - 11/14/2012 7:15:45 PM   
warspite1

Turn 5 - 20th August 1914

Great Britain

I continue to move my sub to the Baltic and generally fart around with my cruisers (they must have a use).

I buy another infantry - nothing much else I can afford.

France

I have expanded railroad capacity and repaired an infantry unit. More possible mistakes though . I mis-judged the number of unit I had. I have tried to form a line behind the Seine and left a great big gap in the hex west of Verdun....

Serbia

I have increased ammo production and swapped my two garrison units to bring the front line up to strength and repaired to 8 value the reserve garrison.

Russia

I have bought an Infantry and a Garrison.

I form a line south of Brest-Litovsk and also bring my units behind the River Bug.

Right let's see what happens next....

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 17
RE: Bob Flemin's AAR se! - 11/14/2012 7:39:57 PM   
warspite1

Turn 6 -3rd September 1914

Naval Research is available - hurrah!

Warsaw was made mincemeat of.... hurrooo

Relatively quiet in France. The Boche have left Calais - obviously only interested in visiting the supermarche and stocking up on cheap plonk...

My Serbian garrison took a pounding southwest of Belgrade - the AH love that hex - and generally look to outflank me in the west.

So what does one do now?

Great Britain

My sub is almost in the Baltic - good work boys.

My newly designated 1st Army lands east of Rouen, while my second transport heads for Calais.

France

My shiny new Infantry reinforcement is placed in the gap I left west of Verdun.

I can't buy anything decent with the British or French so just try and save some cash.

Serbia

The usual game of swap the Garrison and repair to ensure I have full strength units in the front line.

Russia

I have a new Garrison unit that I place on the Turkish border just in case. I buy a Garrison and a Cavalry for the Russians and sit and wait the onslaught...

There is no attacking going on for the Allies, but I think that is the best policy. We'll see.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 18
RE: Bob Flemin's AAR se! - 11/14/2012 7:49:34 PM   
warspite1

Turn 7 - 17th September 1914

Ouch! Jane, you're hurting me!

France

The insatiable Germans are back in Calais, but worse than that, their fleet just attacked and badly hurt one of my cruisers off said French port.

That aside, France was fairly quiet.

Serbia

Not much happened here - one attack that seemed to hurt AH more than the Serbs

Russia

However, this looks distinctly unpleasant....what the hell do I do here??

Attachment (1)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 19
RE: Bob Flemin's AAR se! - 11/14/2012 8:11:42 PM   
warspite1

Turn 7 - 17th September 1914

Great Britain

My sub makes the Baltic - lets hope he does some damage!

I bring the Grand Fleet south to try and stop the escape of the High Seas Fleet. But they cannot make the journey in one go. Do I attack with my cruisers or what? I down a gallon of rum and go for it. Yes!! My 2nd cruiser counter destroys the High Seas Fleet!! Happy Days are here again la la la la la etc God Bless the Royal Navy. I send my damaged unit back to London for some repair work.

Waste of a turn with 2nd Army though, the German unit in Calais means that he has to head for Rouen to unload next turn.

The new 3rd Army is placed in Southampton and I build a Garrison.

France

France gets a Cavalry which I place north of Paris. I purchase another Infantry.

Serbia

I repair two weakened Garrisons but otherwise leave as is.

Russia

I place my Garrison reinforcement southeast of Brest-Litovsk but I really do not know what I am doing here.

I have a bad feeling 'bout this

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 11/15/2012 11:31:40 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 20
RE: Bob Flemin's AAR se! - 11/14/2012 8:19:33 PM   
Myrddraal

Hmm, you look pretty threatened there. I would:

a) Spend 20PP on rail capacity. Yes, it's expensive, but it will allow you to move your northern armies south next turn, whereas it takes a whole three turns to recruit a new unit.
b) Buy a garrison with your remaining 10 PP.
c) If you can afford it, repair that garrison on 8hp.

That's the easy decisions... now the hard ones.

The basic choice you have here is between sitting tight and digging deep, and giving ground to try to shorten your line. I would be tempted to do the latter I think. Use the Fortress at Brest-Litovsk as an anchor. Fall back with the infantry and garrison nearest Warsaw (try to form a line directly to the north of Brest-Litovsk if you can). I would also fall back 1 hex with the cavalry unit SW of Brest-Litovsk.

With your northern armies, garrison Vilna with the garrison and start entrenching (it may come to that). Stay put and rest the infantry, you'll be able to rail them south next turn with your expanded rail capacity.

There's no right and wrong answer here. The downside of falling back will be that you'll be abandoning entrenched positions.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Myrddraal -- 11/14/2012 8:20:26 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 21
RE: Bob Flemin's AAR se! - 11/14/2012 8:32:38 PM   
warspite1

Turn 8 - 1st October 1914

That was not too bad on the Western Front. The Germans vacate Calais once more and although they launched a few attacks on the French, the Germans made little impression.

Great Britain

The Grand Fleet heads back to Scapa while further repair work is carried out on the cruiser.

2nd Army land in Rouen. I am tempted to attack an exposed German cavalry but I want to wait for 2nd Army to support them.

Feeling like the French Front is a little more secure, I put an Infantry in Cairo and a Garrison in Southampton.

France

I spend all my points reparing the units attacked last time.

Serbia

I play the usual game of Garrison swap and repair. The AH are making no impression....

Russia

I buy an artillery piece and repair some units. My Infantry replacement is sent to guard the river line north of Brest-Litovsk.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 11/15/2012 11:32:20 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 22
RE: Bob Flemin's AAR se! - 11/14/2012 8:33:53 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Myrddraal

Hmm, you look pretty threatened there. I would:

a) Spend 20PP on rail capacity. Yes, it's expensive, but it will allow you to move your northern armies south next turn, whereas it takes a whole three turns to recruit a new unit.
b) Buy a garrison with your remaining 10 PP.
c) If you can afford it, repair that garrison on 8hp.

That's the easy decisions... now the hard ones.

The basic choice you have here is between sitting tight and digging deep, and giving ground to try to shorten your line. I would be tempted to do the latter I think. Use the Fortress at Brest-Litovsk as an anchor. Fall back with the infantry and garrison nearest Warsaw (try to form a line directly to the north of Brest-Litovsk if you can). I would also fall back 1 hex with the cavalry unit SW of Brest-Litovsk.

With your northern armies, garrison Vilna with the garrison and start entrenching (it may come to that). Stay put and rest the infantry, you'll be able to rail them south next turn with your expanded rail capacity.

There's no right and wrong answer here. The downside of falling back will be that you'll be abandoning entrenched positions.

warspite1

I wish I had seen this before doing my turn

Thanks for the help . I will consult this before my next Russian go.

(in reply to Myrddraal)
Post #: 23
RE: Bob Flemin's AAR se! - 11/14/2012 8:58:19 PM   
warspite1

Turn 9 - 15th October 1914

France

The Germans are getting more active on the French Front, and I have a lot of repairing to do (without many points to spend).

Belgium

What are they feeding the Belgian unit in Antwerp? He has three German units attacking now!!

Great Britain

I bring the 1st and 2nd Armies behind the Somme - that Cavalry is still tempting but....

Serbia

Still wait and see mode....

Russia

I take Myrddraal's advice and buy rail capacity and try and form a line along the Bug.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 24
RE: Bob Flemin's AAR se! - 11/14/2012 9:18:20 PM   
warspite1

Turn 10 - 29th October 1914

Ouch, that was not very nice was it boys and girls??

The Germans really opened up on the French. Time for some offensive action me thinks. Nah..second thoughts - what a coward I am!

Great Britain

I continue repairing my cruisers and have transported a Garrison to France.

Serbia

I buy an Infantry with all my cash. I need to do something here to relieve the pressure in the east.

Russia

I buy an Infantry and Garrison and try and hold the Bug.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 25
RE: Bob Flemin's AAR se! - 11/14/2012 9:36:20 PM   
warspite1

Turn 11 - 12th November 1914

Britain can't afford upkeep? That sounds bad... Turkey declares war... That sounds badder. French take a battering ... That's..... well you get the point..

Great Britain - Egypt

I have my trusty Western Desert Force in Cairo and I railroad these to Suez to block the approaching Turks.

Great Britain

I rectify my points issue by disbanding my London Garrison

I land the British Garrison and place in Rouen, allowing my to form a continuous BEF line on the Somme. Sing along now - "General Haig and his Green and White Army!"

Serbia

I have insufficient cash to repair all my units so will have to see what the AH have in store this time.

Russia

I purchase an Infantry and repair my two Garrisons southeast of Brest-Litovsk.

France

I at last pluck up the courage to attack. It is very costly, but I have reduced the German cavalry to a 3 and the re-organisation of the British line has allowed me to place the French Cavalry in reserve.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 11/15/2012 11:33:55 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 26
RE: Bob Flemin's AAR se! - 11/14/2012 9:51:24 PM   
warspite1

Turn 12 - 26th November 1914

Great Britain - Egypt

Lots of reinforcements seem to be heading for Cairosville. All I can do is sit and wait as someone once sang. A transport has appeared out of nowhere in the Red Sea - no idea what that is all about?

Serbia

I am struggling for points, but manage to repair most frontline units...

Russia

The Turks are causing trouble in the Caucasus - but no need for alarm just yet. I hope. I manage to upgrade my front line - not sure why?? But that can only be a good thing right?

France

Not much to do but repair my battered units and wait the next onslaught...

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 27
RE: Bob Flemin's AAR se! - 11/14/2012 9:59:41 PM   
Myrddraal

quote:

no idea what that is all about?

It's almost certainly a convoy. They look similar, but not quite the same. It is coming from India and Africa carrying precious PPs for the British. If you lose the Suez canal, they stop coming via this route. (hint: don't lose the Suez ;) )

When you say you 'upgraded your frontline', are you talking about entrenchment?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 28
RE: Bob Flemin's AAR se! - 11/14/2012 10:03:01 PM   
warspite1

Turn 13 - 10th December 1914.

Its all turned white! - well not in the Desert its not. Does anyone know what is going on here? I have a transport that has appeared out of nowhere and it has gone from 10 to a 9. Where is it supposed to land? Where has it come from?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 29
RE: Bob Flemin's AAR se! - 11/14/2012 10:04:46 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Myrddraal

quote:

no idea what that is all about?

It's almost certainly a convoy. They look similar, but not quite the same. It is coming from India and Africa carrying precious PPs for the British. If you lose the Suez canal, they stop coming via this route. (hint: don't lose the Suez ;) )

When you say you 'upgraded your frontline', are you talking about entrenchment?
warspite1

No, i clicked on the Activate Upgrade Mode and clicked on all the units that had a white circle

(in reply to Myrddraal)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Commander - The Great War >> After Action Reports >> Bob Flemin's AAR se! Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI