Matrix Games Forums

New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Deal of the Week: Combat Command Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the Family
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Need suggestion for wargame

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Need suggestion for wargame Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Need suggestion for wargame - 11/13/2012 4:06:01 PM   
bluemax1602

I'm getting back into wargaming after a long period of inactivity. I enjoyed the SSG games and run 5 magazine for the civil war and earlier periods. I'm looking for a similiar type of game that isn't overly complicated.Hex based and tiles or small representations. I have both a windows 7 and XP computer. I'm not fond of WWII games as they tend to get overly complicated. Any thoughts. The Operational Art of War looked like it might be something good. Any comments or help would be appreciated.
Post #: 1
RE: Need suggestion for wargame - 11/13/2012 5:14:47 PM   
wodin

yeah TOAW 3. If you where into WW2 I'd say Decisive Campaigns series though.

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

(in reply to bluemax1602)
Post #: 2
RE: Need suggestion for wargame - 11/13/2012 6:37:03 PM   
Rtwfreak

Age of Rifles.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 3
RE: Need suggestion for wargame - 11/14/2012 5:53:46 PM   
bluemax1602

Looked at a review of theTOAW3 and it looks to complicated for me. I was able to load the Battleground 2 Gettysburg game and it seems about right in complexity although the play is a little slow. One other thought. I use to have and enjoy the board game Tactics 2 i think from avolon hill. Does anyone know of a computer version or scenerio of that game?

(in reply to Rtwfreak)
Post #: 4
RE: Need suggestion for wargame - 11/14/2012 6:51:28 PM   
radic202

The Only PC Games that I know and loved from Avalon Hill were the World at War series. Almost impossible to play win Win7 (and I have tried everything or almost)now but thought I would suggest them anyways.

http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/world-at-war-series

It is much harder to think about doing something than actually doing it!

Post #: 5
RE: Need suggestion for wargame - 11/14/2012 8:02:02 PM   
wodin

bluemax..not sure what scale tactics was..but if you want a boardgame like squad level PC game I suggest either Conflict of Heroes which is a boardgame conversion or HPS Squad battles as that series has lots of games that aren't WW2 i.e Korea,Vietnam, Soviet Afgan War, Winter War, Spanish Civil War, Falklands and some others.

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

(in reply to radic202)
Post #: 6
RE: Need suggestion for wargame - 11/15/2012 12:02:52 PM   
Rtwfreak

quote:

ORIGINAL: bluemax1602

Looked at a review of theTOAW3 and it looks to complicated for me. I was able to load the Battleground 2 Gettysburg game and it seems about right in complexity although the play is a little slow. One other thought. I use to have and enjoy the board game Tactics 2 i think from avolon hill. Does anyone know of a computer version or scenerio of that game?

There is a DOS game you can play using DosBox or D-Fend Reloaded by Avalon Hill (not avOlon hill lol) called T.A.C. that might fit your bill of a simuliar PC game to Tactics 2. Most sides are equal and the map does change from game to game. Pretty basic and don't expect modern day graphics. Just do a google search of Avalon Hill PC games and you'll probably find a copy of it somewhere as freeware or abandonware or shareware.

Post #: 7
RE: Need suggestion for wargame - 11/15/2012 5:36:54 PM   
bluemax1602

Thanks for the help and input. I'll look into this while on playing Battleground Gettysburg.

(in reply to Rtwfreak)
Post #: 8
RE: Need suggestion for wargame - 11/17/2012 10:01:23 AM   
milkweg

quote:

ORIGINAL: radic202

The Only PC Games that I know and loved from Avalon Hill were the World at War series. Almost impossible to play win Win7 (and I have tried everything or almost)now but thought I would suggest them anyways.

http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/world-at-war-series

They play fine if you use Dosbox but without sound for some reason. Never had sound issues in any other game using Dosbox so Atomic used some very odd method for sound in WaW series.

The Matrix/Slitherine Field of Glory game and add-ons are good and is not complex.

< Message edited by milkweg -- 11/17/2012 10:03:17 AM >

(in reply to radic202)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Need suggestion for wargame Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI