great game!

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Cruis.In

great game!

Post by Cruis.In »

I been looking to try this game for a long time, out of desperation with nothing else to play I did.

I played for 12 hours straight....I don't know what it is about DW, I mean I I've played SINS etc, but that didn;t hold me for longer than one game. I just love how all of the mundane tasks are automated but can still be adjusted by you on fly without turning off automation. I love how it seems like your empire is alive, as mining ships, passenger ships and transports move around. Kind of seems like a Caesar 3 type game set in space. I love how great the AI is overall, I mean your own empire AI at doing stuff. Your ships patrol, defend and with great "smarts". No ships lying around as a base comes under attack. Makes it feel like you have competent ship captains in your fleet not twiddling their thumbs one system over from an enemy attack.

The whole delivery of this game is just something I can't put my finger on singularly, but I've tried to explain why it seems so addicting to me.

My wishes for it are:

select a ship to control in battle like stardrive. Ship you pilot etc.
I wish it could get better resolution ships/graphics, the ships look quite cool as is, even a 3d engine would be good.
Zooming feels awkward and not smooth but more like one frame at a time.

Lack of demo. I almost didn't buy it. Who wants to buy a game to try it? I am sure if DW had a timed demo of about 6 hours you could get a lot of people to buy it. It is a lot of money to get the best of the game DW: legends, since you require everything before it. Demo be good.

Thanks buy!
Arcatus

RE: great game!

Post by Arcatus »

ORIGINAL: Cruis.In

(...)
(...)

I don't want to any horn, but something among those lines has been hinted to be a part of the next expansion, but details of it's implementation has not yet been shared..
Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

Like Starfury but in the actual game.

Darkspire
Arcatus

Post by Arcatus »

ORIGINAL: Darkspire

Like Starfury but in the actual game.

Darkspire

Huh. That one have slipped my radar. But it seems to be inline with the privateer/elite game model that I hope is coming in shadows...
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

Elite got a kickstarter out.

Star Citizen looks like at on of fun (and also kickstarts, and has reached it goal).

Just in case flying ships is also on your menu.
Cruis.In

Post by Cruis.In »

hmm i doubt youll fly any ship...someone said it might be play as a mercenary faction, but i dont see how that offers new gameplay other. cause you'd need to develop your empire/research and ships to be competitive anyhow.
Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

ORIGINAL: Bingeling

Just hope the lenslok doesn't come with it, I used to get called at all hours as I was the only one who could ever see the code [:D]

Darkspire
WoodMan

Post by WoodMan »

I think Erik meant you play a mercenary faction not as a mercenary ship/pilot!

And welcome aboard Cruis.In it's always great to see a friendly new face amongst us
"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking
Haree78

Post by Haree78 »

ORIGINAL: Bingeling

Star Citizen looks like at on of fun (and also kickstarts, and has reached it goal).

Just in case flying ships is also on your menu.

Check out Strike Suit Zero kickstarter too if space combat is your bag. It's sweet space ship turns in to mecha in the style of a modern Wing Commander.
Strike Suit Zero Kickstarter
ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

I backed Strike Suit Zero as unlike Elite and Star Citizen in my opinion this game will actually live up to the realistic design goals.
Cruis.In

Post by Cruis.In »

hijackers
Anthropoid

Post by Anthropoid »

Welcome to the boards [:)]
The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ ... playnext=3
Hawawaa

Post by Hawawaa »

Welcome and enjoy!
Cruis.In

Post by Cruis.In »

thanks fellas

is playing for 20 hours nearly straight mean im addicted? Does it wear off? If it wears off does it come back?
Cruis.In

Post by Cruis.In »

also the distant worlds guys need some marketing advice. Theres no way they should be selling an expansion that requires the original game/s at 49.99.

Should be stand alone, and for a space strategy? Maybe 29.00

I do not want to short change them. I love these guys they made a game that's made me play games after 6 years of not playing games, but they are short changing themselves, the entry level in terms of price is too high for people who want to check it out, and does it even have a demo? They'd get way more sales if they decided to announce virally and do a mass viral marketing campaign and press release to all the major game news sites announcing a reduction in price for a new version DW:L and that it's now stand alone and does not require the others. And release a timed demo of say 10 hours to hook people. I am telling you they'd sell 100-250k units within 3-6 months.

Anyway if you do not agree, do not bash me I am just making a suggestion to possibly increase their sales, plus their funding and hence more features for us!

btw those prices are my currency since I am .5 that of usa :)

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”