Complexity question.

Commander - The Great War is the latest release in the popular and playable Commander series of historical strategy games. Gamers will enjoy a huge hex based campaign map that stretches from the USA in the west, Africa and Arabia to the south, Scandinavia to the north and the Urals to the east on a new engine that is more efficient and fully supports widescreen resolutions.
Commander – The Great War features a Grand Campaign covering the whole of World War I from the invasion of Belgium on August 5, 1914 to the Armistice on the 11th of November 1918 in addition to 16 different unit types including Infantry, Cavalry, Armoured Cars and Tanks, Artillery, Railroad Guns and Armoured Trains and more!

Moderators: Lord Zimoa, MOD_Commander_The_Great_War

stormbringer3

Complexity question.

Post by stormbringer3 »

I was going to buy this title a couple of minutes ago and I saw that the complexity was rated beginner. All my games don't have to at the high end of complexity, but I do want to have some challenge vs. the AI. I did enjoy Panzer Corps but I was hoping for this title to be a little more complex than that series. Thanks for any opinions about this.
Lukas

RE: Complexity question.

Post by Lukas »

I'm guessing they put that there because we tried to make the game "new player friendly". The first turns of 1914 start small scale (just austria VS serbia) to introduce the player more gradually to the game. In addition there are a lot of tutorial popups to explain things as you encounter them.

I would argue AI is pretty good but I'll let a non-dev try to convince on that part :)
Grim.Reaper

Post by Grim.Reaper »

Just curious, as the game continues on, do you know roughly how many units you might be controlling at any given time? Just wondering if a reasonable amount or does it turn into 100's of units:)
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

It has a lot of depth though it's designed to be a pick up and play game. It has complexity in the right places and none where it is not needed.
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
hadberz

Post by hadberz »

IMO the AI is good. I normally play on balanced settings too. If you give the AI an opportunity it will take it and make you pay for it, like being cut off from supplies. That is never a good thing. [:)]

@Grim it's reasonable, I never counted but looks like less than 100 for the games I have played.
AMD 5800X 8 core 3.8 GHz
Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wifi (F63d Bios)
32 GB G-Skill DDR4 3200
MSI Gaming X Trio RX 6950 XT 16GB
Dell S2721DGF 2560x1440 165Hz
Dell S2719DGF 2560x1440 144Hz
Samsung 870 EVO 1TB M.2 NVMe drive
Win 11 Pro
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

It's not a simplistic game and has a lot of strategic depth and historical detail. It is "beginner" in the sense that the interface is easy enough to understand and the game is well enough designed that you don't need to be a veteran wargamer to learn how to play it. However, it has a lot to offer any WWI grog and I would rate it Intermediate in terms of the depth of play.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
stormbringer3

Post by stormbringer3 »

Thanks everyone for the responses. My concerns have been addressed and tomorrow I'll purchase.
Bossy573

Post by Bossy573 »

ORIGINAL: hadberz
IMO the AI is good.

Very aggressive. Played as the Central powers in my first game thru 1914. The Serbs beat the Austrians silly, the Russians trounced Hindenburg and Co. in the east and the German right wing in the West was cut off and forced to run for its life (which was awesome, BTW).

Having a blast so far, Well done folks.
TheWombat_matrixforum

Post by TheWombat_matrixforum »

Yeah, I haven't had much time with it but so far it's the WWI strategy game I was looking for--it's reasonably slick, clear, good looking, and comprehensible. I'm no longer really in the market for hyper-complex wargames, an this one seems to hit most of the right spots with the right amount of detail. Nice art and period flavor too.
Jestre

Post by Jestre »

ORIGINAL: TheWombat

Yeah, I haven't had much time with it but so far it's the WWI strategy game I was looking for--it's reasonably slick, clear, good looking, and comprehensible. I'm no longer really in the market for hyper-complex wargames, an this one seems to hit most of the right spots with the right amount of detail. Nice art and period flavor too.

Totally agree, only shortcoming so far is I would like to see/hear a better soundtrack. More variety and would like to hear some classic WWI period music.

Also like someone posted previously, if you make a mistake or overlook something the AI will make you pay!!! Haven't played far enough to see if the AI is strategically sound but tactically the AI is very very good.
Empire101

Post by Empire101 »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

It's not a simplistic game and has a lot of strategic depth and historical detail. It is "beginner" in the sense that the interface is easy enough to understand and the game is well enough designed that you don't need to be a veteran wargamer to learn how to play it. However, it has a lot to offer any WWI grog and I would rate it Intermediate in terms of the depth of play.

Regards,

- Erik

I agree. In my case I'd put it at Intermediate +.
I'm really enjoying getting to grips with the game, but one thing that strikes me is that if you make one mistake, the AI will severely punish you.
Getting your reinforcements right is a real challenge in itself.
[font="Tahoma"]Our lives may be more boring than those who lived in apocalyptic times,
but being bored is greatly preferable to being prematurely dead because of some ideological fantasy.
[/font] - Michael Burleigh

Return to “Commander - The Great War”