Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!To End All Wars: Artillery
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Complexity question.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Commander - The Great War >> Complexity question. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Complexity question. - 11/12/2012 10:57:35 PM   
stormbringer3

I was going to buy this title a couple of minutes ago and I saw that the complexity was rated beginner. All my games don't have to at the high end of complexity, but I do want to have some challenge vs. the AI. I did enjoy Panzer Corps but I was hoping for this title to be a little more complex than that series. Thanks for any opinions about this.

< Message edited by stormbringer3 -- 11/12/2012 11:01:09 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Complexity question. - 11/12/2012 11:06:07 PM   
Lukas

I'm guessing they put that there because we tried to make the game "new player friendly". The first turns of 1914 start small scale (just austria VS serbia) to introduce the player more gradually to the game. In addition there are a lot of tutorial popups to explain things as you encounter them.

I would argue AI is pretty good but I'll let a non-dev try to convince on that part :)

(in reply to stormbringer3)
Post #: 2
RE: Complexity question. - 11/12/2012 11:10:20 PM   
Grim.Reaper

Just curious, as the game continues on, do you know roughly how many units you might be controlling at any given time? Just wondering if a reasonable amount or does it turn into 100's of units:)

(in reply to Lukas)
Post #: 3
RE: Complexity question. - 11/12/2012 11:16:56 PM   
Iain McNeil

It has a lot of depth though it's designed to be a pick up and play game. It has complexity in the right places and none where it is not needed.

Iain McNeil
Director
Slitherine Software
Website http://www.slitherine.com

(in reply to Grim.Reaper)
Post #: 4
RE: Complexity question. - 11/12/2012 11:23:15 PM   
hadberz

IMO the AI is good. I normally play on balanced settings too. If you give the AI an opportunity it will take it and make you pay for it, like being cut off from supplies. That is never a good thing.

@Grim it's reasonable, I never counted but looks like less than 100 for the games I have played.

(in reply to Grim.Reaper)
Post #: 5
RE: Complexity question. - 11/13/2012 1:09:44 AM   
Erik Rutins

It's not a simplistic game and has a lot of strategic depth and historical detail. It is "beginner" in the sense that the interface is easy enough to understand and the game is well enough designed that you don't need to be a veteran wargamer to learn how to play it. However, it has a lot to offer any WWI grog and I would rate it Intermediate in terms of the depth of play.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to hadberz)
Post #: 6
RE: Complexity question. - 11/13/2012 2:38:51 AM   
stormbringer3

Thanks everyone for the responses. My concerns have been addressed and tomorrow I'll purchase.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 7
RE: Complexity question. - 11/13/2012 3:15:09 AM   
Bossy573

quote:

ORIGINAL: hadberz
IMO the AI is good.

Very aggressive. Played as the Central powers in my first game thru 1914. The Serbs beat the Austrians silly, the Russians trounced Hindenburg and Co. in the east and the German right wing in the West was cut off and forced to run for its life (which was awesome, BTW).

Having a blast so far, Well done folks.

(in reply to hadberz)
Post #: 8
RE: Complexity question. - 11/13/2012 2:31:59 PM   
TheWombat

Yeah, I haven't had much time with it but so far it's the WWI strategy game I was looking for--it's reasonably slick, clear, good looking, and comprehensible. I'm no longer really in the market for hyper-complex wargames, an this one seems to hit most of the right spots with the right amount of detail. Nice art and period flavor too.

(in reply to Bossy573)
Post #: 9
RE: Complexity question. - 11/13/2012 2:48:38 PM   
Jestre

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheWombat

Yeah, I haven't had much time with it but so far it's the WWI strategy game I was looking for--it's reasonably slick, clear, good looking, and comprehensible. I'm no longer really in the market for hyper-complex wargames, an this one seems to hit most of the right spots with the right amount of detail. Nice art and period flavor too.

Totally agree, only shortcoming so far is I would like to see/hear a better soundtrack. More variety and would like to hear some classic WWI period music.

Also like someone posted previously, if you make a mistake or overlook something the AI will make you pay!!! Haven't played far enough to see if the AI is strategically sound but tactically the AI is very very good.

(in reply to TheWombat)
Post #: 10
RE: Complexity question. - 11/13/2012 7:36:11 PM   
Empire101

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

It's not a simplistic game and has a lot of strategic depth and historical detail. It is "beginner" in the sense that the interface is easy enough to understand and the game is well enough designed that you don't need to be a veteran wargamer to learn how to play it. However, it has a lot to offer any WWI grog and I would rate it Intermediate in terms of the depth of play.

Regards,

- Erik

I agree. In my case I'd put it at Intermediate +.
I'm really enjoying getting to grips with the game, but one thing that strikes me is that if you make one mistake, the AI will severely punish you.
Getting your reinforcements right is a real challenge in itself.

Our lives may be more boring than those who lived in apocalyptic times,
but being bored is greatly preferable to being prematurely dead because of some ideological fantasy.
- Michael Burleigh

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Commander - The Great War >> Complexity question. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI