WIn 8 another horror..

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

wodin

WIn 8 another horror..

Post by wodin »

Just read this. i hope it isn't true. if so looks like we will all be forced to Win 8 sooner rather than later..

The next direct X 11 or 11.1 as it will be called is Win 8 only.

I warned people for awhile about Win8..this is a major kick in the nuts.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/11/12/old-dog-old-tricks-ms-locks-directx-11-1-to-win-8/#more-131529
Arctic Blast

RE: WIn 8 another horror..

Post by Arctic Blast »

I wouldnt worry that much about it, wodin. Most game developers are just now starting to use DirectX 10 as the standard. It's unlikely that they're just jump ahead and start producing piles of DirectX 11.1 only games. 10 is now financially viable for them, 11.1 isn't at this point. And with costs of production not dropping, they need sales volume.
Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily.
Rtwfreak

Post by Rtwfreak »

ORIGINAL: Arctic Blast

I wouldnt worry that much about it, wodin. Most game developers are just now starting to use DirectX 10 as the standard. It's unlikely that they're just jump ahead and start producing piles of DirectX 11.1 only games. 10 is now financially viable for them, 11.1 isn't at this point. And with costs of production not dropping, they need sales volume.

Have wargame developers even jumped to directx above 9 yet even?

The only mainstream game I would consider buying would be the Total War series or The Elder Scrolls series anymore. Plus I've found even those will run on a Directx9x system setup and WinXP still.

They did say the PC was dying out though and this could be the push over the cliff it needs to bring the Tablets and Ipads etc to the forefront. Soon we will be gaming on 12" screens or less again. lol
wodin

Post by wodin »

I just have a feeling they could do it so it's compatible, but they decided to make sure it wasn't, thus force even gamers at some point down the road to upgrade. I really was hoping to keep hold of Win 7 for aslong as possible. Just a worry when already things are being announced that aren't compatible. Direct X is a big one aswell. Several titles now have come out that don't work on XP. I was hoping Win 7 would have XP's shelf life.
doomtrader

Post by doomtrader »

Who really needs DX 11.1?
wodin

Post by wodin »

Wells several games have come out that can't be played on XP because they don't support it. As time goes on eventually Direct X 11 will be what all games are made with. the only reason why many new games are still Direct X 9 is because of the old console tech, once the next gen come out nearly all big games will be direct x 11.
Arctic Blast

Post by Arctic Blast »

But again, devs are just now starting to focus on DirectX10 only. And they're doing that because of the massive pickup rates of Windows 7 (take a look at the Steam system reports, for example). So many gamers are playing pon DX10 systems that it makes sense for them to take advantage of DX10 improvements and still be selling to a majority of the market.

Unless Windows 8 takes off like Windows 7 did, they WOULDN'T be selling to a majority of the market by going DX11.1 exclusive. Unless that becomes the case, where DX11.1 IS the market majority, it's nothing to worry about.
Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily.
Lützow

Post by Lützow »

Wouldn't worry too much about this. Until games demand something beyond DX11, which is included in Win7, we have Windows 9 already. I forebode the Metro UI becoming a big fail in MS history.
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

I don't think any of our games use DX10 so I don't think it is an issue.
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
Rtwfreak

Post by Rtwfreak »

ORIGINAL: Iain McNeil

I don't think any of our games use DX10 so I don't think it is an issue.

Hey Iain are you planning to improve the graphics in Field of Glory II? Could you please get somewhere along the lines of Tin Soldiers:Caesar graphics?
ilovestrategy

Post by ilovestrategy »

ORIGINAL: wodin

Wells several games have come out that can't be played on XP because they don't support it. As time goes on eventually Direct X 11 will be what all games are made with. the only reason why many new games are still Direct X 9 is because of the old console tech, once the next gen come out nearly all big games will be direct x 11.

But look at how old XP is. Outdated OS's are a part of using computers. First it was DOS, than windows, then Windows3 and 3.1, Windows 95 and so on.
After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!
hadberz

Post by hadberz »

I would like to see a competing sdk developed. One that would work on Windows, Macs, Linux OS. Maybe Value will invent one since they seem to hate Win 8 too.
AMD 5800X 8 core 3.8 GHz
Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wifi (F63d Bios)
32 GB G-Skill DDR4 3200
MSI Gaming X Trio RX 6950 XT 16GB
Dell S2721DGF 2560x1440 165Hz
Dell S2719DGF 2560x1440 144Hz
Samsung 870 EVO 1TB M.2 NVMe drive
Win 11 Pro
wodin

Post by wodin »

@Ilove..yeah but XP would have been dead even earlier if the next Gen consoles had come out a couple of years ago using Direct x 10.
Rtwfreak

Post by Rtwfreak »

Uh oh Wodin look at this chart and how many directx11 video cards are out there now.....dum dum dah dum dah dah dum dah dum dah dum (derge)
http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/
berto

Post by berto »

ORIGINAL: Rtwfreak

Hey Iain are you planning to improve the graphics in Field of Glory II? Could you please get somewhere along the lines of Tin Soldiers:Caesar graphics?
OT, but +1.

Anything, please, better than FoG's current muddied, low-color "quality".
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
histgamer

Post by histgamer »

Just read this. i hope it isn't true. if so looks like we will all be forced to Win 8 sooner rather than later..

The next direct X 11 or 11.1 as it will be called is Win 8 only.

I warned people for awhile about Win8..this is a major kick in the nuts.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/11/12/old-dog-old-tricks-ms-locks-directx-11-1-to-win-8/#more-131529
Most people skip OS's or even two, windows wont change that with 8. I'm not worried about 8, Windows 9 or 10 is what I'm worried about.
Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

Typically a game will require "Direct X 9 or better"

Which means that the game should run with Direct X 11

If you have WIN 8 it should run your current games. Once you click past those metro icons Win 8 and WIN 7 are the same ( as I have read it).
wodin

Post by wodin »

I just find it disconcerting that so quickly are they bringing out the next direct x version and making it Win 8 only..

Also when the next gen consoles come out..expect a massive rise in system specs for any of those shiny triple A titles..obviously wargames will be fine for along time to come. However if you like more than just wargames as I said when the next gen consoles come out we will see a big hike in min system specs as developers start using the power many of us have had in our magic gaming boxes..

I'm never keen when a new version of direct X requires a new graphics card..I'm even less keen if it's going to require a OS upgrade especially if I'm not keen on the OS and this is the first time I've not been keen on the look of microsofts OS. I hope but don't expect MS will release a new desktop version of the OS for most of those business that use Microsoft who haven't got touch screens and us desktop gamers.
Montez12

Post by Montez12 »

I was hoping Win 7 would have XP's shelf life.

Can you truly blame Microsoft for reducing shelf life? And trust me....if the requirement of 11.1 become such a major issue that it's affecting sales, then Microsoft will take the necessary steps. You're worrying too much.
wodin

Post by wodin »

I always worry to much..well I have moments of it...then I forget about it for awhile..then worry again..

Return to “General Discussion”