Just Purchased

Commander - The Great War is the latest release in the popular and playable Commander series of historical strategy games. Gamers will enjoy a huge hex based campaign map that stretches from the USA in the west, Africa and Arabia to the south, Scandinavia to the north and the Urals to the east on a new engine that is more efficient and fully supports widescreen resolutions.
Commander – The Great War features a Grand Campaign covering the whole of World War I from the invasion of Belgium on August 5, 1914 to the Armistice on the 11th of November 1918 in addition to 16 different unit types including Infantry, Cavalry, Armoured Cars and Tanks, Artillery, Railroad Guns and Armoured Trains and more!

Moderators: Lord Zimoa, MOD_Commander_The_Great_War

warspite1

Just Purchased

Post by warspite1 »

I have successfully downloaded the game and look forward to learning the rule and systems. Sadly that won't be until the weekend because of work commitments but never mind.

Game looks nice - glad to see that NATO symbols are an option.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
elmo3

RE: Just Purchased

Post by elmo3 »

How big is the manual? Just trying to gauge complexity. Thanks.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: elmo3

How big is the manual? Just trying to gauge complexity. Thanks.
warspite1

About 64 pages - so about half the size of WITE.

wodin

Post by wodin »

Post your first impressions when you get the chance.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: wodin

Post your first impressions when you get the chance.
warspite1

Will do - It will not be until Sunday though.

elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

OK, thanks. Also, the current PDF for WitE is over 300 pages. [;)]
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

warspite1

Goodness. I was going by my original [X(]

rjh1971

Post by rjh1971 »

warspite1

Goodness. I was going by my original [X(]

CtGW manual is beer and pretzels compared to WiTE's manual, believe me!
GG's AWD, GG's WBTS, GG's WitE Beta Tester
Beta Tester: Panzer Corps, Time of Fury, CtGW, DC CB, DC3 Barbarossa, SC WWII WiE, SC WWII WaW, SC WWI
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

ORIGINAL: rjh1971

CtGW manual is beer and pretzels compared to WiTE's manual, believe me!

That's what I figured, which is fine. One WitE at a time is enough for me. [;)]

WitE alpha/beta tester
Laz

Post by Laz »

that's a bit of a disappointment I must say; as a kid I excelled at the more complex games because I was more capable of reading comprehension, and beer was out of the question at my age. I find myself still yearning for the intricacy of ASL, Mech War 2 or The Next War- there is nothing like going to sleep planning the next move. These beer and pretzel clickfest offerings are incredibly boring; like a tea made from a previously used teabag- weak and uninspiring.
wodin

Post by wodin »

ORIGINAL: laszlozoltan

that's a bit of a disappointment I must say; as a kid I excelled at the more complex games because I was more capable of reading comprehension, and beer was out of the question at my age. I find myself still yearning for the intricacy of ASL, Mech War 2 or The Next War- there is nothing like going to sleep planning the next move. These beer and pretzel clickfest offerings are incredibly boring; like a tea made from a previously used teabag- weak and uninspiring.

Well they are popular and sell well. I too would love a hyper detailed WW1 game, though not at Grand Strat scale, then again maybe I wouldn't mind the scale if it was a deep, hyper detailed game. I'd love it if you had to deal with logistics, from working out rail traffic ( the rail system and congestion had a major impact during the Somme for instance)for bringing in troops and the wounded, sorting out back areas for rest. Managing Etaples bull ring. Dealing with troop rotation and engineer equipment, making sure the front is managed well, wire available, materials at the front for building gun pits and repairing trench systems. I could really get into all that not just the actual battle side, though obviously fighting would be important and the logistics pre battle very important making sure there is enough Arty ammo, sending out pans for how long the bombardment should last, choosing the divisions you want involved and how much of the front you will attack. make sure the right leaders are in place. Send out the orders on who attacks first wave,second wave and third wave and set objectives per day (influenced by orders from Government\Kaiser). Then you click go and watch the battle unfold, no clicks required as it's all be done with the orders and prep. Thats what I'd love in a WW1 game.

However how well would it sell? Compared to an easy to pick up and play game.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

These beer and pretzel clickfest offerings are incredibly boring; like a tea made from a previously used teabag- weak and uninspiring.

Guys, this is not a beer and pretzel clickfest - it's a very well done grand strategy WWI wargame.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Ralph1961

Post by Ralph1961 »

I agree with Eric. I played the demo and found it was easy to pick up basic gameplay but down the road there are tough decisions that you have to make.
Its a game that you can play several turns in an evening against the AI or play a turn PBEM without taking too much time out of you schedule.
I highly recommend the game.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

What demo? Thanks.
htuna

Post by htuna »

Was just gonna ask the same thing.. went looking on the product pages of both Matrix and Slitherine, but can't find the Demo link?
Ralph1961

Post by Ralph1961 »

I was on the Beta testing team, sorry for the confusion.
Laz

Post by Laz »

@wodin- that is quite an amusing take.

I guess that I have been hoping that classic board wargames would find their way onto the pc, and matrix/slitherline being the venue they would be found. This is not a knock against them for what we've seen thus far, but I hear "beer and pretzels" a bit more frequently than I like.

Thanks
Magpius

Post by Magpius »

bought it, NOT disappointed, gradually getting into it...
Having seen how the recent mod for Commander Europe at War, rebooted that game, I figure this one will get an equal level of ongoing support.
As for price, I'd spend more taking the kids to the cinema for 2hrs. I'd spend the same on a book on the subject, and spend an equivalent amount of time with both.
wodin

Post by wodin »

@wodin- that is quite an amusing take.

I guess that I have been hoping that classic board wargames would find their way onto the pc, and matrix/slitherline being the venue they would be found. This is not a knock against them for what we've seen thus far, but I hear "beer and pretzels" a bit more frequently than I like.

Thanks

Actually I want a game that does all that..it would recreate WW1 better than any other game made, as it will concentrate on what made Ww1 so difficult for the HQ..planning..
Panama Red

Post by Panama Red »

You want a really complex WW1 game. The World War One Gold game that Matrix sells basic manual is only 228 pages, with lots of special rules for each country on top of the regular rules. That game is the result of a board game converted to a PC game, so be carefull of what you ask for.[:D]

I have not bought this game yet, but I suspect that this learning curve will not be as steep as the World War One Gold learning curve is.

Return to “Commander - The Great War”