Matrix Games Forums

Ageod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!To End All Wars: Artillery Battle Academy 2: Eastern Front - End of Early Access Space Program Manager unveils its multiplayer modes Another update for Commander: The Great War!Distant Worlds: Universe gets a new update
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Curious Scout Plane story

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Curious Scout Plane story Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Curious Scout Plane story - 11/12/2012 1:13:41 PM   
GI Jive

I just saw a story on-line about the U.S.S. Savannah's scout planes during the invasion of Sicily. http://www.history.navy.mil/danfs/s6/savannah-iv.htm Sadly, 3 of the 4 were shot down by German fighters on July 10, 1943. "As soon as the first light appeared, the cruiser launched several scout planes. Swift German Messerschmitts intercepted with tragic results. Senior aviator Lt. C. A. Anderson was killed in flight, although his radioman, Edward J. True, was able to land the riddled plane on the sea and get picked up shortly after the plane went under." I'm puzzled how a radioman could land the plane. Did either the SOC Seagull or the Kingfisher have flight controls in the rear cockpit?
Post #: 1
RE: Curious Scout Plane story - 11/12/2012 5:22:27 PM   
geofflambert

The Kingfisher was heavily used as a training aircraft, so it may very well be. I don't actually know. The Seagull was converted to trainers mid-war, but in '43 they started equipping war ships with them again, so perhaps it was a Seagull that was a converted trainer.

(in reply to GI Jive)
Post #: 2
RE: Curious Scout Plane story - 11/13/2012 10:45:18 AM   
YankeeAirRat

My sources aren't near by right now, but from what I remeber reading about the history of the SBD/TBD and a couple other dual seat aircraft was that the Radio Operator/ observer was trained in how to use and was equipped with controls. The idea being that if the pilot was injured they could at least get the aircraft back to the fleet and dunk the plane near a destroyer for pick up. I think they finally delete this option in the TBM variants and on.

Take my word for it. You never want to be involved in an “International Incident”.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 3
RE: Curious Scout Plane story - 11/13/2012 1:31:08 PM   
Mundy

Even SBD's had connections and a removable stick for the rear seat, so this might have been fairly common in USN aircraft.  I think the middle seat on the TBD was flyable, too.

Ed-

(in reply to YankeeAirRat)
Post #: 4
RE: Curious Scout Plane story - 11/13/2012 2:12:55 PM   
GI Jive

Thanks for the info on the rear seat controls. I never knew about it.

(in reply to Mundy)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Curious Scout Plane story Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI