Matrix Games Forums

Space Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Disapointed

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Disapointed Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Disapointed - 11/12/2012 3:32:10 AM   
flanyboy

I'm slightly disappointed that no one I can find is doing a Veterans Day sale. I think Origin might be, but no one else. I know it's awfully consumerist and there are MUCH better ways to honor vets than selling war games that often glorify the horrors of which I know almost every veteran should say shouldn't be glorified but still.

Gamers gate, Steam, Matrix I am not sure if anyone had any kind of veterans day celebration.
Post #: 1
RE: Disapointed - 11/12/2012 8:05:37 AM   
wodin

I'm not sure it's appropriate. I feel uncomfortable when any sort of commercial marketing esp Wargames is done on the back of Memorial Day. Any other day fine.

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

(in reply to flanyboy)
Post #: 2
RE: Disapointed - 11/12/2012 9:32:08 AM   
Iain McNeil

We deliberately avoided such a thing as we felt it could be in bad taste. In Europe is very much seen as a day of reflection and remembrance rather than a day of celebration so maybe its just a slightly different cultural take on things.

We discussed releasing Commander the Great War on 11/11 but decided against that too for the same reason.

Iain McNeil
Director
Slitherine Software
Website http://www.slitherine.com

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 3
RE: Disapointed - 11/12/2012 12:25:28 PM   
wodin

Iain good decision. Though I see you did bring out some wallpapers for Commander..still I'm pleased you decided against releasing the game. i'm not keen on even playing any wargame son that day. Reading a book on a conflict I think is a better thing todo on memorial day pref a memior.

< Message edited by wodin -- 11/12/2012 12:26:38 PM >

(in reply to Iain McNeil)
Post #: 4
RE: Disapointed - 11/12/2012 12:42:22 PM   
radic202

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

Iain good decision. Though I see you did bring out some wallpapers for Commander..still I'm pleased you decided against releasing the game. i'm not keen on even playing any wargame son that day. Reading a book on a conflict I think is a better thing todo on memorial day pref a memior.

Thanks wodin for saying out loud was I was thinking!

It is much harder to think about doing something than actually doing it!

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 5
RE: Disapointed - 11/12/2012 2:24:23 PM   
Jestre

I can see Memorial Day being in bad taste but Armistice Day?? One would think the END of World War I would be cause for great celebration. I know VE and VJ day are held as such, at least here in the US.

(in reply to radic202)
Post #: 6
RE: Disapointed - 11/12/2012 2:42:24 PM   
wodin

Jestre just so happened the 11th fell on a Sunday this year, so it was the same day, Remembrance Sunday and Armistice day.In the UK remembrance Sunday is a very solemn day and in away so is Armistice Day they both go hand in hand as an occasion really, unlike the days celebrating the end of WW2, which really aren't mentioned at all when I think about it.

@radic...what was it you where thinking? No wargaming on the day or no commercial business on the back of?

< Message edited by wodin -- 11/12/2012 2:43:47 PM >

(in reply to Jestre)
Post #: 7
RE: Disapointed - 11/12/2012 3:22:54 PM   
Wolfe

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

+1

As you have also said Remembrance Sunday / 11.00 am on 11th November (which happened to be the same this year) are here in the UK times for remembrance of the sacrifice the fallen in war have made for all of us marked by wreath laying on the War Memorials that almost every city, town and many villages have here in the UK. To me it just wouldn't feel right buying or even playing a game about war on such a day.

"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 8
RE: Disapointed - 11/12/2012 6:53:00 PM   
carnifex

quote:

ORIGINAL: Iain McNeil
We deliberately avoided such a thing as we felt it could be in bad taste. In Europe is very much seen as a day of reflection and remembrance rather than a day of celebration so maybe its just a slightly different cultural take on things.

Yeah not so much here in the US. We don't associate that day with the armistice, or any event in particular. We honor all the veterans with a nice parade, and then go shopping. I saved a couple of hundred dollars on Sunday and bought two sofas.

(in reply to Iain McNeil)
Post #: 9
RE: Disapointed - 11/12/2012 9:55:21 PM   
sulla05

Well actually in the U.S. Memorial day is supposed to be the day to remember fallen heroes. I remember being a scout and being in the parade. It always ended in the town cemetary and a wreath was left at a war memorial. I believe all the graves of veterans had flags on them then and not on Veterans day.

It has become so diluted that I do not think many people even realize that is what it is for.

Veterans or Armistice day has taken over some of the things that used to happen on Memorial day.

I cannot even remember if the President even leaves a wreath now on Memorial day. I know he does on Veterans day.

Windows 7 home premium 64
Intel quad core I7
6 Gb DD3
ATI 5800

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!

(in reply to carnifex)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Disapointed Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages