DVG - Hornet Leader AAR

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

JudgeDredd

DVG - Hornet Leader AAR

Post by JudgeDredd »

Ok - an AAR for Hornet Leader. I'm dreading this one a little bit because the rules (for me) were considerably more complex.

But anyway, I thought I'd start it today whilst I was watching the rugby.

Campaign Setup
WWIII North Atlantic 1986
Short Length 5 Days 22 Special Option Points US Navy Campaign
Special Option points can be used to promote pilots, take a tanker on a missions, buy special weapons
NB - different to Phantom Leader all Special Weapons cost their Weight Points in Special Option points.
Also it can cost you SOs to have certain aircraft

selecting the 1986 US Navy Campaign means I cannot select any AV-8Bs and any aircraft with a service date after 1986

I won't go through the list of pilots I've removed from slection - because there's a load! And - strangely enough - for me this is a fault of Hornet Leader - too many pilots and cards. It's a real maze trying to determine which pilots to take...I get the positives...but it really is quite time consuming

The list of targets are
  • 06 - AAA Sites
  • 24 - Rail Yard
  • 04 - Major Airfield
  • 02 - Minor Airfield
  • 47 - Central Command
  • 58 - Fighter Sweep
  • 51 - Oil Storage
  • 07 - AAA Sites
  • 57 - Fighter Sweep
  • 42 - Vehicle Production
  • 59 - Carrier Defence (yep - with a "C"!!)
  • 27 - Naval Base
  • 35 - Carrier Fleet
  • 60 - Carrier Defence
  • 34 - Surface Fleet
  • 19 - Port
  • 26 - Supply Depot
  • 09 - SAM Trap
  • 16 - Rail Line
  • 46 - Close Air Support
  • 37 - Missile Boat Fleet
  • 33 - ASW Fleet
  • 52 - Attack Fleet
  • 50 - Government Building
  • 36 - Supply Fleet
There are 60! target cards in Hornet Leader! There's also a SHED load of Event Cards. Considerably more content than Phantom Leader (though PL still tops my list for the series....just)

A successful capaign will be judged thus
  • Great 22+ VPs
  • Good 16-21 VPs
  • Adequate 12-15 VPs
  • Poor 9-11 VPs
  • Dismal 8- VPs

The pilots I'm allowed to select are
  • 1xNewbie
  • 2xGreen
  • 4xAverage (less 3 with the Special Rules)
  • 1xSkilled

The pilots I've choosen are
  • TEFLON - F14 Tomcat - Skilled
  • CRUNCH - EA6B Intruder - Average
  • SPIKE - A7 Corsair - Average
  • BISON - F14 Tomcat - Average
  • COWBOY - F/A18C Hornet - Average
  • TALON - F/A18C Hornet - Green
  • EXTRA - A6 Intruder - Green
  • PLUTO - A7 Corsair - Newbie

For this campaign I choose to implement the following Campaign Options
  • Night Missions (0 SO modifier)
  • +/-1 Aircraft (-3 SO modifier)
  • Random Squadron Selection (+6 SO Modifier)
Giving me a +3 SO overall modifier.
    [/i]NB
  • Night Missions - some missions are night missions and if you choose to fly them as such, then you randomly choose the sequence of play by pulling the Fast, Slow, Bandits, Sites counters
  • +/-1 Aircraft - you can take one more or one less aircraft on a mission and if the target is destroyed you collect 1 less or 1 more VP (depending on whether you took 1 more or one less airframe)
  • Random Squadron Selection - you randomly choose aircraft...so no peeking

So I get 22 SOs for the Short campaign, +3 for the Campaign Options I've choosen and +8 for my aircraft selection (which was random) - 2xA7s = 8 SOs

This is a picture of my Pilots and my Campaign Sheet

This is a picture of my Campaign Log

This is a picture of the Tactical Display Card (mounted)

NB - This seems like an awful lot of SOs compared to Phantom Leader - but you'll be surprised how fast they get used up in this game!

Turn 1 might be some time as I've got a busy week - but I thought if I start this off, it'll make me get going on it.
Alba gu' brath
JudgeDredd

RE: DVG - Hornet Leader AAR

Post by JudgeDredd »

A point about my experience with these Leader games from DVG...

I prefer Phantom Leader. There's something very raw about it. Hornet Leader has some great kit and some great weapons, is packed full of campaigns, events and targets - and yet with it's limited content I personally would still put Phantom Leader above it.

Of course that is my own personal view and it's mainly to do with the raw feel of Phantom Leader and also the era. Alot of other people may prefer Hornet Leader. The box is indeed packed to the gunnels. But I have to say - if Phantom Leader for me wins the competition in the version I have then I can only speculate on how Phantom Leader Deluxe will take the stage!

I do love all the games though. Living in an area where there aren't a great many wargamers around and no clubs etc...solitaire is very important to me...and the Leader games absolutely hit the mark. They are great games - each and every one of them.
Alba gu' brath
wodin

Post by wodin »

Looking forward to this. I agree solo boardgames are something I'm very interested in. I'd rather play one than play a PC game..also the highly rated ones seem to have alot more to them than 99% of PC games. Plus it's tactile..which I like. I get a buzz at looking at countersheets for godsake..let alone maps and paging through the rules..

I have The battle for Normandy and every now and again I look at the unpunched countersheets...it's a buzz in itself..is that odd? Thats why though I' like you JD and prefer the PL era the HL contents get more excited. Thats why most likely TAL is the one for me..then PL deluxe..when it finally hits the number for reprint.
wodin

Post by wodin »

Sat here waiting ;)....
parusski

Post by parusski »

I get a buzz at looking at countersheets for godsake

And here I was thinking I was the only one.
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
fodder

Post by fodder »

ORIGINAL: parusski
I get a buzz at looking at countersheets for godsake

And here I was thinking I was the only one.

The two of you are not alone. [:)]
fodder

Post by fodder »

After looking at this thread I opened the closet door and there are all my old games. The only solo game I have or ever played is Avalon Hills 1983 B-17 Queen of the Skies. Never did get a B-17 to go twenty five missions.
fodder

Post by fodder »

Whoops I was wrong, I also have Avalon Hills 1987 Patton's Best. Funny I don't remember playing it. (getting old) I've opened it up and there are used after action reports in my hand writing. Seems my tank got burned up every game.
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

I'll get to it...it'll be slow for the moment though - this week is a busy week and I'm in Scotland at the weekend to see Scotland v South Africa - it will likely be Monday or Tuesday when I post an update I'm afraid

I knew I shouldn't have started it when I did [;)]
Alba gu' brath
wodin

Post by wodin »

No problem..when your ready.
parusski

Post by parusski »

Whoops I was wrong, I also have Avalon Hills 1987 Patton's Best

Funny, Patton's Best was my first solo game. I loved it.
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

ORIGINAL: fodder

After looking at this thread I opened the closet door and there are all my old games. The only solo game I have or ever played is Avalon Hills 1983 B-17 Queen of the Skies. Never did get a B-17 to go twenty five missions.

That was next to impossible I think.
History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson
nicwb

Post by nicwb »

Pretty much - great game though -simple rules & endlessly replayable. I've always hoped someone would remake it as a computer game. There was an old apple II game sthat was similar called "50 mission crush"

Patton's Best was ok as well but the rules were complex - I've still got my old copy.

AH did another solo game called "Raid on Dieppe" that was ok
wodin

Post by wodin »

Read through the rules of Hornet and TAL last night. I see in Hornet in the example he had to roll once a turn to see if the center received another bandit. I think it was due to some die rill he had to do at the start of the campaign. Scary.

Still not sure what to get. I love the tactical feel to TAL. With battalions and forward lines etc etc..but it has no air to air combat in the shape of non helicopters. I love the planes (F14) in Hornet and I presume it has a great selection of bandits. JD, do you miss the air to air battles in TAL? Is the air to air combat not as important as you'd think in context of the Fun element?

I expect I will go for TAL. Though if I had both I'd follow the campaign rules on the website to play them at the same time..cool. Also Hornet is getting some crazy Cuthulu expansion! Though not sure that is a sell point or not ;).

I also like the added damage rules in TAL on the planes..infact I'd like to have seen abit more again like severe rudder damage where you can't turn right etc..though maybe that doesn't happen in modern jets..I'm probably showing that my usual air combat games are WW1.

I'd by WW1 leader..though I'm not sure it would work as it seems the Leader series is alot about munition type.
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

I vaguely remember thinking the Air was a "bit strong". For example you pull a Popup chit (I think if you are at High Altitude) and a helicopter can inflict 3 HARD hits on your aircraft - and I believe those are hits that need repairing using SOs OR just stay with you for the campaign...I'm doing this from memory so could be wrong. I remember one mission I had done I lost my helicopter and my A-10 came back with 1 structural hit, 2xBullet Holes, 1xPylon hit, 1xEngine chit and 1xHud damage.

The combat is brutal in TAL - and I'll get to that - hopefully before you decide what to get for Christmas.

Missing AtA combat in TAL? Yeah - it's not there in the same intensity as PL or HL - but there's plenty of other things going on. For example the damage model is fantastic. I love it. No more 2 hits and you're down. The A-10 can take 3 structural hits - but there are other chits like Pylon where you lose a Pylon and any weapons attached...and loads of others...all with an effect...some only lasting that mission and others lasting the campaign (though you can fix with SOs - but you have very few SOs once you've bought your aircraft).

That's what I was trying to get to before - the games (all 3) though all Leader games all bring something different to the gaming table and therefore it's difficult to put in any order

I might be able to kick off the Hornet Leader campaign tonight - so I can fit a TAL one in before Christmas.
Alba gu' brath
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

Something I meant to mention on the first post is Campaign Difficulty. You can adjust the campaign difficulty by selecting disadvantages or advantages.

Like this:
  • ACE - Select 3 Disadvantages
  • VETERAN - Select 2 Disadvantages
  • SKILLED - Select 1 Disadvantage
  • AVERAGE - No Adjustment
  • GREEN - Select 1 Advantage
  • NEWBIE - Select 2 Advantages

The Disadvantages are :
  • Extra Stress - Pilots suffer 1 extra stress on a mission
  • Improved Sites/Bandits - Add 1 to site and bandit rolls
  • Extra Sites/Bandits - draw 1 extra site/bandit for the centre area
  • Reduced SOs - Short -6 SOs, Medium -15 SOs and Long -24 SOs

The Advantages are :
  • Less Stress - -1 Stress whe flying a mission
  • Downgraded Sites/Bandits - -1 to site/bandit rolls
  • Fewer Sites/Bandits - 1 less sites/bandit in the centre area
  • Increased SOs - Short +6 SOs, Medium +15 SOs, Long +24 SOs

I am doing an Average Campaign - do no advantages or disadvantages
Alba gu' brath
wodin

Post by wodin »

Thanks for the info. I see some negative comments about the IOS version. I'm really on a campaign to get more boardgames converted. However I don't think solo boardgames convert well. You lose something along the way. The best conversions are ones where 1. You can't play it solo so need an AI and 2. Have rules that can get quite complex so the game plays easier as the PC is doing all that stuff for you.

A Solo boardgame usually already has manageable rules and the PC\IOS doesn't enhance it..all it does it take the tactile element away..which is a big loss.
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

I'll get back on this - tonight or tomorrow I'll do the next installment
Alba gu' brath
wodin

Post by wodin »

Thanks mate.
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

Pre-Flight
Right - in this phase I draw Target Cards and select my target for the day, Determine and place enemy sites, assign pilots and arm aircraft.

Draw Target Cards
I look at the RECON track on the Campagin Card to determine how many cards I can pull. For this campaign for the first day I get to pick 3 targets.

The targets are
  • Supply Fleet
  • Government Building
  • Attack FLeet
I choose Attack Fleet because it's closer and gives the most VPs. Down side is it's heavily defended and with the 1 Bandit mentioned at the bottom of the card, I have to pull 1 extra Bandit chit each turn

This'll be a tough one - and using all my aircraft might leave me a bit weak for the next few missions!

During this phase I also choose whether to purchase (by paying 2xSOs) to draw 2 more targets...if I'm not happy with the ones I've got. I choose not to.

You can also choose to stand down (Down Time) and not fly a mission. Again - I choose not to.

Notes on the Card Details
Top right is the target number
Middle Left shows the number of Sites and Bandits to pull for each Approach Area and Over the Target and the number of hits required to destroy the target
Middle Centre shows the number of aircraft you can take (and I believe you can take less than the suggested)
Middle Right shows the VPs on offer and the number of moves you can move the Recon and/or Intel and/or Infra counters to the right
Bottom shows important points on the target. They are
    [b]Supply Fleet[/b]
  • Vehicle - some weapons gain an advantage against vehicles
  • Penalty - If you do not destroy the target you must pay this penalty
    [b]Government Building[/b]
  • Fixed - JDAM weapons can only attack Fixed Targets from 1999 to 2008
  • Overkill - Hit the target this number of times to gain the bonus mentioned (in this case 18+ hits gets you and additional VP)
    [b]Attack Fleet[/b]
  • Bandit - draw this number of bandits and place over the target (centre area) each turn
  • Vehicle - as above
  • Improvement - when a card is drawn with this attribute, then it stays until destroyed (even if you are not attacking it - the fact that it's drawn means it stays available to be targeted until you do so and destroy it). Whilst it's active, you MUST carry out the instruction noted - in this example you must move the Recon counter 1 to the left until at the end of each day.
Alba gu' brath

Return to “General Discussion”