Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Building the ultimate PC (or at least a decent one)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Building the ultimate PC (or at least a decent one) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Building the ultimate PC (or at least a decent one) - 11/10/2012 3:09:33 AM   
Gary Childress

Four years or so ago I built my current computer from parts. First PC I had ever put together from the ground up. I had done bare bones systems before but had never messed with a mother board and CPU installation. I'm thinking I may undertake such a project again. I really don't know much in the way of technical stuff about computer parts. Looking over some processors just now I have no idea what to look for. Is 8 core better than quad core? If so then why are some dual cores more expensive than 8 cores?

Anyway I want first to put together a list of parts. That seems like the logical starting point. Ideally I'd like to keep the cost under $1000.00, preferably in the 500-700 range if possible. Obviously it will be a gaming machine. Probably not for high end FPS games, mostly RTS and things of that genre. Not sure yet if I want to cannibalize my old PC for parts or keep it as a backup. If I cannibalize my old PC I should be able to get a good power supply (Corsair 650w), a good graphics card (I forget the make and model but it's supposed to be a decent upper middle range one), hard drive (Western Digital "black" series 500 gb), DVD ROM, already have a copy of Windows 7 (hopefully I can install it on a new PC though I'm not sure). This would leave me with finding a good Case, CPU, Motherboard and RAM.

1. Case
2. Power supply
3. Mother board
4. CPU
5. Video Card
6. Hard Drive
7. Optical Drive
8. RAM
9. Operating System

Did I miss anything on the list above? Any recommendations on components?

Thanks.

Favorite/Awesome games from Matrix

War in the Pacific/AE
Panzer Corps
Commander Europe at War
John Tiller's Campaign Series
The Close Combat Series (all versions)
Post #: 1
RE: Building the ultimate PC (or at least a decent one) - 11/10/2012 3:29:09 AM   
planner 3

gary/ don't know much about building a new unit but I do have a hint that might help with your using your win 7 on another machine. "How to Geek Forums"/newsletter had a bit today on how to use the serial number or such to enable you to move it to another machine. If you have problems I may be able to find that article again. Good Luck

"As Pogo said, 'We have met the enemy and he is us' "

(in reply to Gary Childress)
Post #: 2
RE: Building the ultimate PC (or at least a decent one) - 11/10/2012 3:38:49 AM   
Gary Childress

Thanks Planner 3. That's sort of the kicker. I recently bought a copy of Windows 7 not too long ago and bought a copy of MS office a couple weeks ago. I'm hoping I can somehow transfer them to a new machine. I'm wondering if I use the same HD from my old machine will that work? Otherwise it's going to be another 100+ just for the OS and of course I'll probably use Open Office if I can't move my old copy.

War in the Pacific/AE
Panzer Corps
Commander Europe at War

(in reply to planner 3)
Post #: 3
RE: Building the ultimate PC (or at least a decent one) - 11/10/2012 3:46:20 AM   
Bison36

Gary,

I'd look at newegg's combo deals. Here's a link for some with the i5 3570K. You can get everything you need and save money especially if you already have a gpu.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductCombos.aspx?Item=N82E16819116504&SubCategory=343&fromcs=0&bcmTag=0&SortField=0&PageSize=50&Page=1

Post #: 4
RE: Building the ultimate PC (or at least a decent one) - 11/10/2012 4:09:25 AM   
junk2drive

If you use a hard drive with Windows installed on new hardware, you will probably end up having to reinstall Windows. IF you are buying a new hard drive, just start from scratch. Buy a $20 enclosure for the old drive and copy over your pics and docs to the new drive. Then use the old drive for backups.

(in reply to Bison36)
Post #: 5
RE: Building the ultimate PC (or at least a decent one) - 11/10/2012 4:15:24 AM   
Gary Childress

Thanks Bison36, Is the Intel Core i5-3570K a good processor? How does it rank against other processors and also against AMD? What is the current best processor out there?

War in the Pacific/AE
Panzer Corps
Commander Europe at War

(in reply to Bison36)
Post #: 6
RE: Building the ultimate PC (or at least a decent one) - 11/10/2012 4:18:28 AM   
Gary Childress

quote:

ORIGINAL: junk2drive

If you use a hard drive with Windows installed on new hardware, you will probably end up having to reinstall Windows. IF you are buying a new hard drive, just start from scratch. Buy a $20 enclosure for the old drive and copy over your pics and docs to the new drive. Then use the old drive for backups.

Well, I did just now find this article on how to move a windows installation to a new computer using the same HD. I'll probably give it a try.

http://www.techtipsgeek.com/transfer-installed-windows-7-to-a-new-computer/13055/

War in the Pacific/AE
Panzer Corps
Commander Europe at War

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 7
RE: Building the ultimate PC (or at least a decent one) - 11/10/2012 4:24:43 AM   
Bison36

Yes. The i5 3570K is an outstanding cpu. Unless you using programs and doing work that involves heavy cpu usage the i5 is more than enough for any game on the market.

Post #: 8
RE: Building the ultimate PC (or at least a decent one) - 11/10/2012 4:35:06 AM   
Gary Childress

Not that I'll be able to afford it but what is the current best CPU out there? For instance if I wanted to do a lot of multitasking involving games and 3D modelling programs...

War in the Pacific/AE
Panzer Corps
Commander Europe at War

(in reply to Bison36)
Post #: 9
RE: Building the ultimate PC (or at least a decent one) - 11/10/2012 4:38:59 AM   
Jeffrey H.

I'd build some form of laptop if I were you.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

Post #: 10
RE: Building the ultimate PC (or at least a decent one) - 11/10/2012 4:42:13 AM   
Gary Childress

Aren't laptops pretty limited in performance? I don't think you can load them up with as much of the powerful stuff as you can a desk top, can you?

War in the Pacific/AE
Panzer Corps
Commander Europe at War

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 11
RE: Building the ultimate PC (or at least a decent one) - 11/10/2012 5:25:56 AM   
radic202

Here are some tips, but beware I am NO computer expert, have built about 7 here in my house and I do it as a hobby with no formal computer tech training or courses whatsoever.

Buy the biggest Hard Drive you can afford, you can NEVER have too much hard drive space. But from experience I since my last build have purchase a 120 SDD Hard Drive for the operating system and main software programs only and have 3 1TB extra Hard Drives where I store all my videos, games and music, pictures etc.....If the computer ever crashes I never loose any of my stuff as they are on other HDs. The only one is the "C" drive which can easily be reloaded. Now I said SDD as you will notice a significance increase in speed on loading or booting up plus accessing any of your games that only require a little of the C drive even though they are installed on other drives. You can partition one HD and operate that way. Just so much simpler to have all your own stuff on other drives for security purposes of not loosing anything.

Never install less than 8 MB of Ram if you are installing Win7 Pro 64bit, I always have 16 on my gaming computer and it may not be necessary but RAM is cheap now, so go for it.

I strongly suggest you get a Blu-Ray player/Burner as Blu-Ray will be the only thing in the next couple of years as DVDs will slowly be going the way of the Beta Players. You can still use it for DVDs either loading games, watching videos and burning DVDs but at least you will already have the Blu-Ray drive to watch Blu-Ray films (unless you already own a Blu-Ray player or PS3). Trust me you will be ahead of the game by far. Of course with the proper software (I use Nero 12 Platinum) you can also burn Blu-Ray discks.

The Intel 1-5 Quad is more than sufficient for gaming plus it is reliable and is proven to work well.

Motherboards: you can save $ on a sound card if you get a Motherboard that already has a sound card and the optical cable plug in. Now for most non-music experts it works just as fine for everyday use than adding an extra sound-card. Again all depends how serious you are about sound quality. I and many of my friends see no minuses using the one with the motherboard but make sure it has optical sound plus to plug into your speaker system.

Cases: they vary in price and quality but I suggest you do NOT purchase anything with water coolant as they are very complicated to repair and maintain and I can only fathom what would happen if it burst inside the case. Just look for a Case that has a minimum of 3 fan systems in 3 different locations in the case. Make sure if it a quieter model case as some can be very loud when the fan are spinning.

Power Supply: I do not recommend anything below 650 watts. This will enable you to run anything plus have tons of power to run any other hardware you may decide to add at a latter date.

Video Card: this is where some people go cheap and I keep reminded my friends that the best investment you can do to your gaming computer is go as high as you can afford. I stick to NVidea cards all the time as I had bad experiences with ATI but that is a personal choice. I recommend that GTX 560ti and above. They are significantly cheaper now then they were when I purchased mine. Best video card I have ever used fro gaming. You do not even need to sli 2 cards. It was at one time better but not anymore. One powerful card is sufficient now and is still way powerful for everyday gaming and beyond.

I am hesitant to recommend specific brands as I am in Canada and not sure where you are so prices may vary greatly. I do remind you that I built my own computers and my families solely as a hobby and from the expertise of friends and my online gaming companions, so not a computer techie here, just having some fun building them. Remember if you spend 5 to 8 hours a day on your computer and enjoy it like hell, spending a little more than you budgeted is not a bad thing considering you may use it more than your expensive car...............

Lastly: the only thing I do not personally do myself is install the Chip into the Motherboard, I always get the shop where I purchase all the hardware to do that for me for like $20.00 as using the thermal glue with the chip is a little scary for me plus I do not damage the "heart" of the computer. The rest of putting it all together I do on my own and it takes less time than loading all the Operating System, updating, virus checker, Drivers etc....

Hope I was able to help you out a bit and good luck, nothing more satisfying than booting it up for the first time!!!

It is much harder to think about doing something than actually doing it!

Post #: 12
RE: Building the ultimate PC (or at least a decent one) - 11/11/2012 3:51:18 AM   
Gary Childress

Looking at SSDs now. What is the difference between SATA and SATA III other than the connector? Is SATAIII faster, and if so is it worth the extra bucks?

War in the Pacific/AE
Panzer Corps
Commander Europe at War

(in reply to radic202)
Post #: 13
RE: Building the ultimate PC (or at least a decent one) - 11/11/2012 8:57:49 AM   
Rtwfreak

What you really want to do is get the fastest core speed in a multicore system setup. For instance a 2.66ghz core speed in a quad core can bottleneck and slow your processes down the more you multitask programs. Many programs still only use ONE core processors. Technology is going to catch up to quad core eventually but there's not a lot of games out there using it to its fullest abilities. At any rate a 3.2ghz or higher core system would be a better choice or as they say spend as much as you can afford for future growth. 8 cores are so far out there the only thing I can see them being good for is extreme multitasking in a business or graphical design dept. You'd just be throwing money into the wind buying 8 cores right now. If you can afford a 4.0ghz multicore system that's the ticket to go for and it will be around for a very long time as gaming technology tries to catch up to it.

Memory wise 8gb or higher is great as long as you are running a 64bit system otherwise you're just going to waste anything over 4gb unless Microsoft has increased the ability to use more memory in a 32bit system and I haven't read about that yet. Once again buy as much as you can afford because you can't really waste anything with a 64bit OS and large amouts of memory will give you a nice cache of virtual memory to speed things along.

Post #: 14
RE: Building the ultimate PC (or at least a decent one) - 11/11/2012 6:00:41 PM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress

Aren't laptops pretty limited in performance? I don't think you can load them up with as much of the powerful stuff as you can a desk top, can you?

I think that nowadays the difference between laptop performance and desktop performance is not so large. I have a 2 or 3 year old Toshiba qosmio q850 that does everything better than any desktop I've ever had. Look into it a bit and see what you can find. I'll bet its just as good in a laptop. It also depends on what you really need.

Ron Swanson

Post #: 15
RE: Building the ultimate PC (or at least a decent one) - 11/12/2012 12:23:41 AM   
Joe 98

http://www.cpubenchmark.net

Above is a web site showing the speed of CPUs.

I would have thought that higher speed = higher price.

This allows you to narrow down which CPU is right for you..

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 16
RE: Building the ultimate PC (or at least a decent one) - 11/12/2012 3:38:05 AM   
flanyboy

My computer has run everything I've thrown at it with ease, and a recent RAM upgrade has siginificently improved video rendering performance. It's a bit older but you might be able to get a good price on it.

CPU: i5 2400 (Sandy Bridge)
Case: Lian Li Mini (2 fans, aluminum build, the aluminum keeps the case cool despite not installing any extra fans other htan stock)
RAM: 16 GB (4x4GB), Corsair Vengance 1600MHZ,
GPU: Nvidea GTX 550 TI 1 GB
Motherboard: Its an MSI Mobo supporting up to 32 GB and the LGA 1155 Socket (Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge both use that so newer or older chips work on it)

(in reply to Joe 98)
Post #: 17
RE: Building the ultimate PC (or at least a decent one) - 11/12/2012 7:27:20 AM   
Karri

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

I think that nowadays the difference between laptop performance and desktop performance is not so large. I have a 2 or 3 year old Toshiba qosmio q850 that does everything better than any desktop I've ever had. Look into it a bit and see what you can find. I'll bet its just as good in a laptop. It also depends on what you really need.

The main thing is that a desktop with the same performance of your qosmio q850 would probably cost about half of what you paid for the laptop. Also, of course if you need really powerful stuff then laptops cannot handle it because you can't fit powerful enough fans into them.

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 18
RE: Building the ultimate PC (or at least a decent one) - 11/12/2012 9:41:45 PM   
Rtwfreak

Here yah go on sale nice one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229365

(in reply to Karri)
Post #: 19
RE: Building the ultimate PC (or at least a decent one) - 11/17/2012 11:47:47 PM   
Gary Childress

OK. Black Friday will be D-Day for purchasing my parts. So far I'm thinking I may go with the following parts:

CPU: i7-3770

Motherboard: ASRock B75 PRO3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157314

RAM: Corsair Vengeance (not sure how many GBs yet)

GPU: GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1024MB GDDR5 (cannibalized from my old machine)

PSU: Corsair TX 650 (cannibalized from my old machine)

Still need to pick out a SSD. HDD I'll be cannibalizing also.

DVD burner I'll be cannibalizing.

And I received my case a couple days ago, a Corsair 300R:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139011

< Message edited by Gary Childress -- 11/17/2012 11:49:23 PM >

War in the Pacific/AE
Panzer Corps
Commander Europe at War

(in reply to Rtwfreak)
Post #: 20
RE: Building the ultimate PC (or at least a decent one) - 11/18/2012 2:34:08 AM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

OK. Black Friday will be D-Day for purchasing my parts. So far I'm thinking I may go with the following parts:

Ummm, I like JoAnn.

Ron Swanson

Post #: 21
RE: Building the ultimate PC (or at least a decent one) - 11/18/2012 7:04:58 AM   
Gary Childress

quote:

quote:

Ummm, I like JoAnn.

No idea what that means...

War in the Pacific/AE
Panzer Corps
Commander Europe at War

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 22
RE: Building the ultimate PC (or at least a decent one) - 11/18/2012 3:50:25 PM   
parusski

quote:

Four years or so ago I built my current computer from parts. First PC I had ever put together from the ground up. I had done bare bones systems before but had never messed with a mother board and CPU installation. I'm thinking I may undertake such a project again. I really don't know much in the way of technical stuff about computer parts. Looking over some processors just now I have no idea what to look for. Is 8 core better than quad core? If so then why are some dual cores more expensive than 8 cores?

Anyway I want first to put together a list of parts. That seems like the logical starting point. Ideally I'd like to keep the cost under $1000.00, preferably in the 500-700 range if possible. Obviously it will be a gaming machine. Probably not for high end FPS games, mostly RTS and things of that genre. Not sure yet if I want to cannibalize my old PC for parts or keep it as a backup. If I cannibalize my old PC I should be able to get a good power supply (Corsair 650w), a good graphics card (I forget the make and model but it's supposed to be a decent upper middle range one), hard drive (Western Digital "black" series 500 gb), DVD ROM, already have a copy of Windows 7 (hopefully I can install it on a new PC though I'm not sure). This would leave me with finding a good Case, CPU, Motherboard and RAM.

1. Case
2. Power supply
3. Mother board
4. CPU
5. Video Card
6. Hard Drive
7. Optical Drive
8. RAM
9. Operating System

Did I miss anything on the list above? Any recommendations on components?

Thanks.

If you can round up a few pennies here is my latest computer:

With some important info.
the machine is capable of a sustained performance of 17.5 petaflops — or 17.5 million billion mathematical calculations per second. MY supercomputer has a peak capability of 27 petaflops. A single petaflop is a 1 followed by 15 zeroes.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by parusski -- 11/18/2012 3:52:43 PM >

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

Post #: 23
RE: Building the ultimate PC (or at least a decent one) - 11/19/2012 5:31:52 AM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ummm, I like JoAnn.

No idea what that means...

Look at your link for the case, scrol down the page, there's a video on it. Hosted by JoAnn.

Ron Swanson

Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Building the ultimate PC (or at least a decent one) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI