Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the Family
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

OT: Real Life Military Wargames

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT: Real Life Military Wargames Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OT: Real Life Military Wargames - 11/9/2012 1:51:46 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Another thread made me think about this.

Example (to stick to the Pacific Theatre):

The Japanese simulated (via "wargames") both the Pearl Harbor and Midway things. What kind of wargame/s were they using? WitP AE did not exist at that time after all!

Still, given that this was a matter of life and death I would necessarily conclude these "wargames" had to be rather professional, trustful. The future of the nation is at stake so they better accurately simulate the real thing...

Anyone knows something about the concept, elaboration, rules etc of these real life wargames (the above mentioned or others)?

"Hang on, is that it...? Are we on the ring...?? Ready???" -- Nürburgring Seven Second Ring King
Post #: 1
RE: OT: Real Life Military Wargames - 11/9/2012 2:05:08 PM   
adsoul64

Nice question, and a one I always wonder on my own. I bet some professional military is entitled to answer much more than me. The authors of Shattered Swords mention “die rolls” and referees talking about pre-Midway wargames made by IJN Officers, so you could infer something from their hint

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 2
RE: OT: Real Life Military Wargames - 11/9/2012 2:40:07 PM   
Olorin

Without having studied the subject in depth, my impression I get from the accounts of the German wargames prior to Case Yellow is that they were based mainly on opinion. A bunch of officers gathered to exchange their views on the operation and the most influential ones tended to prevail. For example, Halder and most of the German General Staff did not think that tanks could traverse the Ardennes and guys like Guderian were overshadowed during the wargames. The traditional General Staff was reluctant to transfer the weight of the attack to Army Group A. They did gradually make concessions because Hitler insisted on a more daring plan, but the resulting "Blitzkrieg" to the Channel was largely an ad-hoc plan, developed and executed by Guderian and other panzer generals, literally on the battlefield.

Regarding the Japanese wargames, I get the impression that were a tad more scientific than the German ones. From what I gather they tended to make fairly accurate predictions about the possible outcomes of operations.

"Drang nach Osten"
--A TOAWIII AAR--

(in reply to adsoul64)
Post #: 3
RE: OT: Real Life Military Wargames - 11/9/2012 3:07:45 PM   
JocMeister

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olorin
Regarding the Japanese wargames, I get the impression that were a tad more scientific than the German ones. From what I gather they tended to make fairly accurate predictions about the possible outcomes of operations.

At first yes. But if the outcome didn´t go their way the results were often overruled and judged in the favor of the IJN.

(in reply to Olorin)
Post #: 4
RE: OT: Real Life Military Wargames - 11/9/2012 6:55:56 PM   
AcePylut

Imagine how quickly the house rules went out the window.

"HEY, we had an HR that said no 4E attacks below 10k."

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT: Real Life Military Wargames Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI