Matrix Games Forums

Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm gets huge update and a Steam release!Battle Academy 2 opens up a new front!Flashpoint Campaigns Featured on weekly Streaming SessionFrontline: The Longest Day - New Screenshots!Deal of the Week: Hannibal Rome and CarthageFlashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm gets Players Edition!To End All Wars gets its first major patch! Hell is now available!War in the West Wacht am Rhein AAR Deal of the Week Panzer Corps: Allied Corps
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How Will This Differ From SC:WWI?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Commander - The Great War >> How Will This Differ From SC:WWI? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How Will This Differ From SC:WWI? - 11/9/2012 10:41:54 AM   
tgb

I own Strategic Command:WW I but have barely touched it. Other than the engine, does this offer anything different?
Post #: 1
RE: How Will This Differ From SC:WWI? - 11/9/2012 10:46:51 AM   
Lord Zimoa

Outside it is complete other game you mean? :-)

I cannot judge as I have never played the other game, I can just vouch for our own, it is pretty addictive and we believe turned out as a great and fun game.

But I leave this to any Beta-testers, and by next week to new players, to give their opinion and experiences.

< Message edited by Lord Zimoa -- 11/9/2012 10:54:22 AM >

www.thelordzgamesstudio.com
www.panzer-corps.com
www.commander-games.com

(in reply to tgb)
Post #: 2
RE: How Will This Differ From SC:WWI? - 11/14/2012 5:47:47 PM   
balto

Before I bought this, I too was interested in your question because I have SC:WW 1 and have played it a lot.

With my limited exposure thus far, all I can tell you is that surprisingly, this is nothing like SC:WW1.

I can already tell there is a lot of depth and time that was put into this one. Just get it and check it out for 30 or so hours and see what you think. I have about 12 hours in and I am fascinated so far.

(in reply to Lord Zimoa)
Post #: 3
RE: How Will This Differ From SC:WWI? - 11/14/2012 7:25:48 PM   
elmo3

quote:

ORIGINAL: balto

With my limited exposure thus far, all I can tell you is that surprisingly, this is nothing like SC:WW1.

Since I have neither, yet, can you point out some of the main differences please? Not looking to bash either game, just wanting to know where the designs differ in significant ways. One is hexes and one is tiles of course but I'm looking beyond that. Thanks.

We don't stop playing games because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing games - Anon.

WitE Alpha/Beta Tester

(in reply to balto)
Post #: 4
RE: How Will This Differ From SC:WWI? - 11/14/2012 9:04:25 PM   
lotharr51

No strategic decision making dialogs. Politics is severely restricted. Nations don't have much character. Lack of important flanking considerations.

On the other hand, a ton of effort has gone into balancing, aesthetics, simplicity in empire management and UI, and good AI.

It's like I want to take the historic richness of SC and put into the excellent crafting of C:tGW.

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 5
RE: How Will This Differ From SC:WWI? - 11/15/2012 12:39:30 AM   
rosseau

Depending on your budget, I would say both games are "necessary" purchases. Keep in mind the SC2 franchise has been refined for years. It also features a full-blown scenario editor. But for some sick reason I really enjoy modding the text files in C:tGW myself.

Early in, I feel C:tGW features more complexity and granularity than SC WWI. That could be because I'm so familiar with SC2, but I don't think so. We know just by looking that it is far above the old CEAW, and its Napoleonic sister game, which seemed simplistic to a fault. How does it compare with Ceaw with Strategy Mod? They did an awesome job with Strategy Mod and I've been playing it (poorly) for several months. But C:tGW is so new and shiny, and I think it might be even better.

(in reply to lotharr51)
Post #: 6
RE: How Will This Differ From SC:WWI? - 11/15/2012 4:23:28 PM   
balto

All of what lotharr51 said in his paragraph are correct and well stated. On the surface this could be perceived to be a negative view of CTGW and making it seem more simplistic. I am not in disagreement with what Lotharr51 said, in fact, I think it is a brilliant summary of the differences.., but let me give you my take:

This game seems to be really fun and new and there is no question there is a LOT of work and detail put into this.., just buy it and enjoy it, my gosh the thing is only $50. When you get sick of CTGW, get SC:WW1 and play that until you get sick of that.., rinse and repeat until death.

(in reply to rosseau)
Post #: 7
RE: How Will This Differ From SC:WWI? - 11/15/2012 6:19:39 PM   
jglazier

Excellent comments from everyone in this thread. I have been studying the forums for this game and SC:WW1, and can't decide.

So, I think I'll bite the rusty WW1 bullet and get both. Just don't tell my wife!

I don't want to hijack this thread, but has anyone played Battlefront's SC:Global Conflict WWII? Is it as good as SC:WWI?

(in reply to balto)
Post #: 8
RE: How Will This Differ From SC:WWI? - 11/15/2012 7:48:09 PM   
Josh

quote:

ORIGINAL: jglazier

Excellent comments from everyone in this thread. I have been studying the forums for this game and SC:WW1, and can't decide.

So, I think I'll bite the rusty WW1 bullet and get both. Just don't tell my wife!

I don't want to hijack this thread, but has anyone played Battlefront's SC:Global Conflict WWII? Is it as good as SC:WWI?

No I haven't, but as I own SCII and an expansion I can say that the scale is vastly different from WWI, this last installment of the SC series is by far the best. Which makes sense because it is basically the same old engine.. with many many years of improvement into it. SCII was a bit... rough so to speak, I mean the scale was too ... "big" or how do you call it. One unit on the map would represent an entire army group. SC WWI is much "smaller", almost division like, much more room for strategic manouvres. Besides SC WWI has a great WWII campaign as a bonus.
Both games look very worth buying to me.

(in reply to jglazier)
Post #: 9
RE: How Will This Differ From SC:WWI? - 11/16/2012 3:02:58 AM   
jack54

I like the top down map in this game. I really have trouble with the tilted isometric view in SCWWI.

mostly playing
Hell,Pike and Shot, Flashpoint Campaigns:Red Storm, RUS, Drums of War, Hannibal Rome/Carthage, Hannibal:TOR

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 10
RE: How Will This Differ From SC:WWI? - 11/16/2012 4:16:56 AM   
J P Falcon

I have been enjoying both games and as mentioned SC's version has a complete WWII mod which is an added bonus. Also SCWWI has a nice collections of scenarios expecially if you buy the expansion pack. Hopefully there will be a robust modding community for this game which would be a great asset...

(in reply to jack54)
Post #: 11
RE: How Will This Differ From SC:WWI? - 11/16/2012 9:06:34 PM   
CSS

I own ALL the SC and slitherine TBS games and have spent far more hours playing them than some people watch sports. They are very different game systems and play systems. If you can buy and play both DO!. Slitherines game is a turn based army fleet grand strategy game, SC I-WWI is a turn based strategy corps, ship level game.

Each hase their own feel, and style. Both are quite goood!!! Kudos to Slitherine on the very strong WWI feel and casuilties and moral integration!

(in reply to J P Falcon)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Commander - The Great War >> How Will This Differ From SC:WWI? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI